Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-05-2018, 05:10 PM   #30
Rockyhud

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
MASTERDRAGO,
You always have to keep in mind the mfgs work off lowest level of efficiency/cost with highest profit in mind--they don't provide the best of anything if they can find a lower-cost product to use.
Hope this hasn't been too wordy, but the electrical system of an RV is the heart and having heart attacks is never fun.
Joe
This maybe related to deep cycle batteries - I don't know for sure - but a few years back I had a conversation with a pretty well informed employee at one of the local auto parts stores about batteries, particularly the vehicle start type. The reason the conversation started was years earlier I had bought two 8-year warranty batteries for my truck that had about 5+ years of use and had been working well up to the time the engine starter motor starting causing problems that affected the batteries. This employee told me he personally knew someone who worked for one of the very few actual battery manufactures and this person told him the makers had, in the last few years, gotten their "recipe" pretty well down as to how to make them only last about 5 years and die off soon after. That way there's always a constant return to replace batteries and the revenue stream it produces about every 5 years. He said they could and have made batteries that lasted longer, such as the 8-year units I had, but they decided to reduce their usable life so the customer returns sooner to replace them, keeping the revenue stream going a little more steady and often. You can't even find batteries with 8-year warranty any more. That said, he advised buying the top line starting batteries doesn't mean the customer will get longer life from them compared to batteries somewhat less expensive.

As I said, the deep cycle type may not be made using the same guidelines as above. Hopefully they do last longer - I just don't know yet. I just thought I'd pass on what I learned that at least applies to vehicle start batteries. Your battery "mileage" may vary.
2011 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5509
Rockyhud is offline   Reply With Quote