Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2009, 04:13 PM   #1
rjohnsonnm

Digital TV Tuning

So, this new over-the-air digital signal is supposed to be so good. I bought a new 37" Sharp Aquos and installed it where the 27" Sony was, replaced the VCR with a DVR, and bought a converter box for the bedroom analog TV. The problem is, when I put up the antenna and then program the digital TV, the DVR, or the analog w/converter, if I'm lucky I get 2 of the networks. Then, I move the antenna around and reprogram the TV (which takes a good 5 minutes) and Lo! I have the other 2 networks but not the ones I had before. Because the TV had to be reprogrammed, the other network signals were not strong enough to be picked up when the antenna was moved. I bought a Winegard Wingman which didn't help at all. I must admit, when I do get a signal it is really nice - high definition. I just can't handle reprogramming the TV when I want to watch a different network. Short of changing to satellite, is there any way to resolve this? If you don't move your house I guess OTA digital is great, but when you're on the road it is a pain, at least for me. Can anyone give me some sage advice?
Ron

2004 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #0925
2011 F-350 Lariat Diesel Longbed
Albuquerque, NM
rjohnsonnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:01 PM   #2
anijet

If the channels in each "group" are near each other numericaly, and you can tell which channels are being scanned, set the antenna to the position for the first group before starting the scan. After they have been scanned quickly move the antenna to the second group so that when they are scanned the antenna is in the best position for them. If the scanning process is slow enough, this might work, in theory.

anijet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:20 AM   #3
Huck

Send a message via ICQ to Huck
Quote:
I bought a Winegard Wingman which didn't help at all.
I wrote this review..On Camping World

ANTENNA is 90 DEGREES OFF WITH WINGMAN!!!!!!! - June 19, 2009
by Karl (Huck) Fornof

I installed the wingman a few months ago and finaly got around to writing this review. I traveled across the US and then north testing it along the way. The one real problem that I have encountered is the fact that without the Wingman the batwing would pickup stations in two directions, north/south east/west. In other words, the antenna without the wingman will pickup two cities in opposite directions. But with the Wingman the antenna is 90 degrees off and only picks up the UHF stations off the side of the antenna. So, if you are a distance (40-50 miles or more) from the city with the transmitter you will not get the stations 2-13 with the wingman unless you turn the antenna back 90 degrtees and reprogram! Example: I am presently in Franklin, Pa. on the top of a hill. With the wingman I can only view TWO stations(UHF) out of Erie,Pa. and no VHF. And no stations from Pitts.,Pa. Without the Wingman I can get about Ten stations or more out of Erie,Pa. and Pittsburgh,Pa(opposite directions). so, in my opinion, it may be a good product if you are close to the City and you don't watch stations 2-13!

I hope this makes sence and helps someone.

AS far as your programing problems..
Every station scanning/ programable TV or VCR I have ever seen, I was able to manualy remove or add stations I want. It should be in your TV menu near the "auto program/scan for stations" place.
2005 RE3 MS #2163
2006 F-350 CC 4X4
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote