Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2009, 05:09 PM   #1
RodeWorthy

Ptogramming Procedure for Level-Up Remote?

In April I had my Level-Up system upgraded to replace the tethered control with a remote control. I used the system about 6 times. Since then my camper has been stored for about a month. When I went to move it today the battery in the remote was dead and I have no hydraulics for the Levelers and the integrated stabilizers. I can't move.

The remote uses a 23A 12V battery that is not too common around here but I did find one for $4. The replacement appears to be working -- the LED on the remote flashes now. My understanding is the module needs to be reprogrammed when the battery is changed in the remote. The module in the hydraulics compartment has a reprogram button but any sequence I have tried has not restored the system to active duty. Does anyone know the correct procedure to reprogram this system?

I do have hydraulics for the slides via the inside controls so it is not a hydraulics system problem.

I do have the old tethered cable and switch but the green wire from the cable connector was disconnected when the remote was installed. Can anyone tell me where the green wire attaches on the relay? I need to get this trailer operational either via the remote or the tethered switches.

Your assistance is appreciated.

'07 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3910
Mor/ryde IS, Trailersaver TS3 hitch
Level-Up with Remote Control
4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
'08 Chevy 3500 dually Duramax/Allison
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:22 PM   #2
Carny Bill

Sorry I no help, I still tethered....sounds like I may stay that way..

12 Blue Elite #6296 38RS3
08 chevy C3500
09 yel spyder toad
Carny Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:01 AM   #3
RodeWorthy

Level-Up remote programming

I have figured out the wiring and reinstalled the tethered control for the Level-Up. That has enabled me to move the trailer so the urgency of the post has diminished.

I did receive a procedure to reprogram the remote and receiver module but that still does not work despite the new remote battery. There was some mention of a battery in the receiver module installed in the hydraulics cabinet but as far as I can tell it is wired into the trailer's 12V system and does not have its own battery. I will need to pull the module out to verify that.

I will be in touch with the folks at Trailaire Service this week for a solution to the remote problem.

4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
Old 05-31-2009, 05:10 PM   #4
billr

No help for ya here Don, but I'm curious, do you not still have switches for the front jacks inside the side panel, and did they not install switches for the rear LH and RH in place of the original rear stab switches? Thats what I saw on a new unit. Would work as a backup to the remote deal?

That would be a nice install if not there. Would be a priority project for me.

Just a thought in my aerospace mind? :wink:

Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:26 PM   #5
RodeWorthy

Switch control for landing gear and levellers

Bill, the only active switch remaining in the side panel is the one for the landing gear. The levellers and stabilizers are now tied together and operate from the control head on the tethered cable or the new r.f. remote which replaces the tethered cable. So the fail safe when the remote dies is to redeploy the tethered control to the connector in the hydraulics compartment. You would need two double acting switches in the side compartment to control the level/stabilizer pairs -- one for street side, one for curb side.

I had control of the landing gear but of course I needed to raise the levellers and the stabilizers too in order to move. When the remote was installed a couple wires were left off from the cable control. I resolved that today and replaced many of the connectors. That whole area needs cleaning up and I have plans to modify it.

This latest iteration of the Level-Up is working really well but I need to find out how to restore the remote to fully control the cylinders. I don't think it will be a big problem -- just need to find out the correct way to do it.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:36 PM   #6
billr

Ok Don, I guess the retro fit they did diff than the new trailers. I would be heading to add those switches. But I guess the tethered deal will work too as the backup. Have fun with the mod!

Do you put the level up out for storage? I don't have it, but never use the rear stabs for storage. I suppose it really can't hurt to use them though.

Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
Old 06-01-2009, 08:44 PM   #7
RodeWorthy

Use of Level-Ip in Storage

Yes I do deploy the Level-Up in storage. We are in and out of the unit often and I like to have the unit level and stable before moving the slides. We don't leave the slides out when we are not there so the rooms get moved often. The trailer is very stable with the Level-Up (and the Mor/Ryde IS). I don't use wheel chocks or king pin support.

Well, I am into it now. One thing leads to another and I have ripped out all the wiring including battery cables in the front cabinets. I can't stand this mess any longer. The hydraulics and battery cabinets will get a makeover. The new wiring will not change any functions but it will be neater.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:59 PM   #8
billr

Good stuff Don! You best be careful advertising the task you are undertaking! Everyone of us have the very same mess in there! You will start getting requested for your services! :shock:

I have re-done some of the connections for the batteries after the ends fell off. Made new cables with some much better quality stuff and soldered the ends. Just have a few more to do. But that Hyd stuff, I try not to even look in there! ha

Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
Old 06-06-2009, 12:08 AM   #9
RodeWorthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr
No help for ya here Don, but I'm curious, do you not still have switches for the front jacks inside the side panel, and did they not install switches for the rear LH and RH in place of the original rear stab switches? Thats what I saw on a new unit. Would work as a backup to the remote deal?

That would be a nice install if not there. Would be a priority project for me.

Just a thought in my aerospace mind? :wink:

Bill
According to one customer the new switch box (with controls for landing gear and Level-Up) has been installed during an upgrade from the 1st generation of Level Up to the 2nd. This change eliminated the tethered control and places all controls back in the side compartment. This was not offered to me in April despite the fact the entire switch box had to be removed to modify the switch controls.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:27 PM   #10
sr

The Remote is an addition to the teathered switches. You should be able to use the switches on the cable or the remote. If that is not how it works, then you definatly need to call Bob Tidge at Trailair Service to tell you how to hook it up. In no way should you not be able to control the landing jacks or the side to side leveling with the switches. They should still work. Also i to had to replace the battery in the handheld remote. It lasted about 6 months. I guess it depends how much you use it. Also there is no reprogramming of the remote. The reprogramming that people are refering to is the JTS leveler, which in my humble opinion is worthless. I use the old tried and tru bubbles to level front to back and side to side. The Batteries in the JTS leveler Sensor that is mounted on the ceiling of your storage compartment last about a month and then you have to reprogram that unit when you change the batteries.

I do like the remote. I can take it inside the unit and if I am off a little, I can hit the buttons and relevel the unit with out going outside. Also I can open the slides and make sure I don't run them into any trees or utility posts.

Hope this helps.
2007 Select Suites TK3 #3117
2006 Ford F-350, CC, SWD
Pullright Sliding Hitch,LCD Mounted in Storage Door
Trailair Auto Level Up with Remote
Lippert Under Chassis Storage
Pressure Pro, Garmin 660
Winegard Direct TV Travler Sat. Dish
Rearview Camera, Water Softner
New Palestine, Indiana :)
sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:12 AM   #11
RodeWorthy

Randy thanks for your input. We met at Trailair Service in April. Enjoyed talking to you there.

Both Bob and Ron gave me verbal information about reprogramming the remote transmitter to the inside receiver module should it be necessary to change the battery in the remote. The operative word here is verbal. There is a button on the receiving module for the purpose. It is interesting that you did not have to do this when you changed the battery. There are different versions of this remote and receiver so maybe the new ones are different. I have not called Bob yet. Figured they would be busy with the rally and I am not using the rig right now. It was a simple matter to restore the tethered cable to operation so that is what I use until the remote issue is resolved.

My remote battery died within a month and I only used it about 6 times. Another user who had his installed the same day has experienced the same thing. It may be that a new quality battery will last longer.

Most people I have talked to have abandoned the digital LV-1 Level. It works but is not practical at the rate it depletes the batteries. But these are two separate issues.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:44 AM   #12
Mikey

Reprogramming

Don
Try this.
Press button on receiver until led goes on.
Press any button on remote until led goes off.
Missed you at the Rally in Goshen, so I had a few extra drinks on your behalf.
Had the level-ups installed - work great.
Did not get remote - staying with the tether for now.
Take care
2008 F450
Full-timing at last!
www.HomeIsWhereWeParkIt.net
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:47 PM   #13
RodeWorthy

Level-Up Remote Restored to Active Duty

Mike,
Thanks for thinking of me out during my absence at the rally. I wondered why I was feeling somewhat more euphoric than usual that weekend :)

Thanks also for the procedure to reset the remote. You were right on track but it didn't quite do the job. I don't mean to drag this out but sooner or later those with the remote are going to have this issue too.

To reprogram the remote, press and hold the program button on the receiver module mounted in the trailer until the red light comes on. Then press any key on the remote fob and observe the receiver light blinking and then extinguishing. This is as Mike described above and when this is done the system is reprogrammed.

To get the remote fob to activate the system press the LU button for a few seconds and then press the ON button. If it works correctly you will hear the relay click (faintly) and the red led will come on on the receiver. If it does not work the first time try again. With the receiver red led lit the remote system is now active and will control the hydraulic functions. You can shut the receiver off by holding the ON button for a few seconds or it will time out by itself after a period of inactivity.

It is only necessary to do the reprogram portion if power is lost to the receiver or remote fob.

Of concern to me is the fact that the hydraulics system (pump & relay) and all these little attachments are connected indirectly to the battery without the benefit of fusing or circuit breakers. I will be doing something about this on my trailer.