Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2011, 04:45 AM   #1
Cheif 2

Interior Remodel

The DW and I have been discussing what we would do different regarding a floor plan if we were to upgrade to a newer unit. The thought came to mind of remodeling the interior/floorplan of our current unit. The MS we currently have is in great condition, has side to side levelers, upgraded lighting, new brakes and tires, etc. so why get rid of it. Anyone have any idea who to speak with regarding doing this and as always I welcome your thoughts.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:06 AM   #2
Gemstone

I have no personal experience with these folks: Countryside RV Interiors

Regards
Gemstone

Old 12-22-2011, 09:44 AM   #3
hitchup

I'm with you. Unless we win the lottery, this is our final Suite. Everytime I look over other floorplans, I can find a flaw or something that I'd have to live without. So I have an ongoing list that I add to as other forum members post upgrades and subtract as we do one.

We had Paul Cross at Indiana Interstate redo all of our slide awnings, add the dinette/buffet table. He uses the same cabinet shop that DRV does. I know other Suite owners have used Paul to change peninsula cabinets (TK) into a Island (RS) plan and change out new countertops and sinks. Am sure they can handle almost any kind of bookcase or cabinet. I think they may do carpet, too.

We had the factory make up a 2nd bathroom cabinet that fits over the half of the window. It still allows some light, but gives us more shelving. It's worked out great and stain matches perfectly. In our 1st Suite, we had the factory make up new doors when we wanted to get rid of our fireplace. It was wired on the same breaker as other appliances and kept blowing the breaker, so was of no use to us.

Right now, we're working on the LED replacement bulbs, so will scratch that off the list once we find all the sources. Eventually, I want to change the gas range and put in a new residential refrigerator. But will have to wait for this one to bite the dust.
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:48 PM   #4
Gemstone

"put in a new residential refrigerator"...this too, is on my list.
I'm just starting to do some research...I'm limited to a counter depth fridge, but a 36" wide unit will cause the spice cabinets on the right of the fridge to disappear, and my wife is not happy about losing the big drawer below the fridge....but overall, I'd sure like a 20+ cubic foot fridge.

I'd also like to change out the POS kitchen sink, however I'm afraid that would mean getting a new piece of granite cut, as all of my searches have not turned up a suitable replacement sink, shaped like the original.

Regards
Gemstone
Old 12-23-2011, 04:58 AM   #5
Cheif 2

When I said remodel, I was considering gutting at least from the bedroom door back and putting in a totally different floor plan based on what could be done with my slide configuration.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:56 AM   #6
Gemstone

Is there no option to do this kind of major face lift at the factory ?

Regards
Gemstone
Old 12-23-2011, 08:03 AM   #7
Jimfla

The spice cab. on the side of the ref. is part of the fashia of the slide you won't gain any room. 33" ref. fits perfect.
Jim
Old 12-23-2011, 09:44 AM   #8
hitchup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheif 2
...I was considering gutting at least from the bedroom door back and putting in a totally different floor plan based on what could be done with my slide configuration.
I found the 38RL floorplan to double check your slide arrangement. It doesn't look much different than the 38TK, so it looks like it could be gutted. Which means opening it up and possibly remove the partial walls between the LR and kitchen. But it all depends on where the electric wiring, plumbing and furnace runs are as to the extent.

The more you tear out and replace, the more it will cost to redo. I had done a spreadsheet for fixing our 2006 Elite Suite versus buying New. New one won out because the ES was basically the same as when we purchased it. And in our case, the new MS gave us a longer floorplan and all the upgrades minus granite (and appliance colors were different) for just slightly more than what we had in to our ES.

Either way, it looks like it's a job for a Professional, unless you're handy and have skills (and a place to live during the remodel).

http://www.mobilesuitervs.com/38rl3/38rl3.html[/url]

Vickie
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:29 PM   #9
Gemstone

"33" ref. fits perfect" ...sounds like you may have first hand knowledge of the procedure ?? What is the counter depth model and brand that you found that will fit the opening ?

Thanks
Gemstone