Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2015, 09:52 AM   #1
debndick

Need help finding right tow vehicle

We are buying a used DRV 38RSSBE. DRV says the dry weight of this RV as setup is 15,500 lbs. We would ideally like to have a SRW, short bed truck with the Pullrite Super Glide so it fits in our garage. After reading all the posts in here however, it would seem that this is not possible. The 2015 Chevy 3500 HD lists a max 5th wheel trailer weight of 17,100. So we thought we had found our truck. After reading these posts, it appears that weight is really smaller and would not be safe when loaded.
What truck should we get to travel safely????
Any help is appreciated !!

debndick

debndick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:33 PM   #2
billr

Go by the Gross wt loaded on the fifth wheel. 3500 DRW at a min for that MS. Most 38' MS come in loaded around 19k with a pin of 4500 plus. The 3500 will be close on specs.

05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:27 PM   #3
Stevencoles

The right truck.

Sounds like you have a comparable unit to what we have successfully towed over 7 thousand miles with a Ford F350 6.7L Deisel Dually with a 22K Reese hitch and a long box...you really need that due to the config of the hitch on the DRV. Make sure you double check the axel ratio however before you buy. Trailer life publishes a great guide that lists all makes and model and towing capacities.
Stevencoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 12:23 PM   #4
DBL Z

When I was looking for a tow rig a few months ago for the new DRV 38RSSA we had delivered to this winters camp spot, The only rig in the pick-up line close to worthy was the RAM DRW...

Quoting myself here!

Quote:
Truck To Pull With?

I've had a pick-up since I've had a drivers license, All 4X4's and three dually's. I've yanked a lot of stuff around, carried several large loads, and two BIG campers!

A few weeks ago we picked up our first 5th wheel!... A 38ft (40' overall) Dually required!... DRV!

From that day!.. I spent several hours per day searching for a Truck To Pull It With!

Before I picked up the M2, my first choice, (for another dually) was the RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4X4, Cummins/Aisin with it's 385ftlbs Tq and 30K towing cap.... I personally felt this rig was the best choice of what's out there in the Pick-up class. Since I've never pulled a 5th wheel before, and I've been driving a 40ft DP with Frog, a 24ft enclosed, or a boat!...Everything in me said!...you need something bigger! :laugh:

I've had the M2 about a month now!... I can honestly say!... It's the best decision, (outside a HDT) we could have made! Safety being foremost on the list, The MDT filled the ticket!... Mass, bigger brakes, beefy Engine/Transmission, Pac brake, and basically the same footprint as a CC dually so I can park in regular parking spaces!

Another reason for this choice is very visual!.. I've watched how 5th wheels keep getting bigger and taller through the years and when I see these monsters dwarfing a CC dually LB... I just cringe a bit inside!
I just can't put into words how safe, secure, and confident I feel towing our new home!

...And I can park it in spaces where my blue sticker says I can! Ever though we have other vehicles to drive around!... I still take out the M2 a couple three times a week... just because!
DBL Z is offline   Reply With Quote