Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2017, 07:49 AM   #1
Bosstweed

Question Drv kitchen spotlights

Have two types of kitchen lights on my 2017 drv. Some are round, flat and have screws, while others are round, flat, no screws and a serrated edge. The serrated edge lights are my question. How do I remove the cover so I can replace the burned out light?? I don't know if they unscrew, or pull down. They are very tight and plastic, so I don't want to crack or break the lens. Any one know how I should proceed on the this. Thanks for any help.

Bosstweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:16 AM   #2
porkchop

They do unscrew, counter clock wise. Good luck

Bill

porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:39 AM   #3
Cummins12V98

Unless they have changed they are glass.

2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:14 AM   #4
Bosstweed

Thank you!
Old 05-18-2017, 11:15 AM   #5
Bosstweed

Thank you.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:10 PM   #6
azjeffh

When trying to remove the glass globes, depending on how your lights are mounted can be a challenge.

Some of our lights the plastic flange is mounted directly to the ceiling while on others it's mounted in a counterbore . Those that mount directly to the ceiling have plenty of access to get your finger tips around the out exterior of the globe to unscrew. However from my experience those mounted in a counterbore (aka recessed), there isn't enough space to get your finger tips around it to remove.

For the lights that are mounted in a counterbore I used a flat blade screwdriver and a hammer and gently tapped on one of the perforations in on the exterior of the globe remove it . After my 1st attempt at this and having the globe spin off and fall on the counter, I decided that was not a very good idea. On the next attempt I created a cradle using duct tape to catch it in case it fell off and that worked out well.

Realizing that I did not want to put them on the same way that they were removed, I went to a local hardware store and bought hex nuts and used them as spacers. That would allow me to space the plastic housing away from the top of the ceiling and allow me to get my fingers around the outside edge of the globe.

Unfortunately we have the 3 light LED fixtures and I've had to replace more than a dozen (and the list grows) . Thanks goodness all of them mounted in c’bores are now done 
2016 F350 PSD dually
azjeffh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:57 PM   #7
Bosstweed

Thanks, I'll try that.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:14 PM   #8
clev

I am surprised that you have burned out lights in a 2017. I also have a 2017 36 RSSB3 and am overloaded; I've weighed it and I know. I've been unloading as much as possible; got rid of the 400 pound sofa and theater chairs, plus a few other things, and discovered that most of the LED's had glass serrated covers. The company also makes plastic covers for these lights and you can't tell the difference by looking at them. I replaced all of them with plastic. Total weight of 51 lights was almost 15 pounds. Still trimming the fat.
clev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:34 AM   #9
Cummins12V98

"I also have a 2017 36 RSSB3 and am overloaded; I've weighed it and I know."

You should start another topic on this subject. I guarantee you are NOT overloaded "in the real world".

Lights, carry on!
2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:45 AM   #10
clev

Yes, I embellished a little, but my intent was to offer additional information to the op about his lenses. No new thread/post needed.

clev is offline   Reply With Quote