Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2010, 06:31 AM   #1
The Spices

Structural problems with new Mobile Suite

We have had structural problems with the frame of our 2010 Mobile Suite. I would be interested in hearing from other 2008-2010 Mobile Suite owners who have experienced structural issues with the frame or other major components.

Thank you.

Former - 2010 MS 36RS3 w/ MorRyde IS and pinbox, Mag susp., Level Up plus a number of custom mods. 600 watt AM Solar
2012 F450 King Ranch with Classy Chassis hauler bed conversion, Trailsaver
The Spices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:26 AM   #2
Gemstone

Would be interested to know what your issues are....maybe new buyers could also benefit from the knowledge....

Regards
Gemstone

Old 07-09-2010, 08:57 AM   #3
gypsybill

I agree, can you elaborate on what kind of structural problems you are having? Have you talked with DRV about this? Since I have a 2010 also, I am very interested in what I might want to look for.

Thanks
2010 DRV MS 36RSSB3 #5073
gypsybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:41 PM   #4
terry and jo

Like Gemstone and Gypsy Bill, I would also like to know more details about your "structural problems". The wife and I just bought a 2010 Mobile Suites ourselves.

Would you be so kind to detail what your problem was?

Thanks.

Terry
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:49 AM   #5
The Spices

We specified the MOR/ryde suspension option when we ordered our unit. When Lippert built the frame, they welded the brackets on for the suspension. They did so incorrectly causing the frame to "lose it's camber (warp). NOTE: This has nothing to do with MOR/ryde or their suspension. At DRV's direction, Lippert has repaired the frame which included welding steel plates onto the inside of the frame from the axles to the rear. The warped frame apparently caused the plywood floor panels to loosen and ridges developed in the linoleum running the width of the trailer along floor panel joints to the rear of the island. We obviously became aware that there was a problem when the ridges started to appear. Hopefully DRV is now checking for proper camber in the frame before starting construction of each unit.

Former - 2010 MS 36RS3 w/ MorRyde IS and pinbox, Mag susp., Level Up plus a number of custom mods. 600 watt AM Solar
2012 F450 King Ranch with Classy Chassis hauler bed conversion, Trailsaver
The Spices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:19 AM   #6
Gemstone

Thanks for sharing...that is a serious issue. Did you by chance take before and after photo's ? Has the situation been rectified to your satisfaction ?
Just how did they align and strengthen the frame ? Would you post the serial number of your rig, so other owners with sn's close to yours can investigate further.

Regards
Gemstone
Old 07-10-2010, 10:30 AM   #7
terry and jo

Perhaps I don't know enough about welding, although I have done it before when I was on the farm, but I don't understand how welding in as small of an area as what suspension brackets would cover could cause the frame to go out of camber.

Is there a possibility of another cause of this loss of camber? Something like overloading part of the fifth wheel or towing too large of a vehicle behind the DRV?

We had the frame of our MS "beefed-up" to allow for towing. We have been told that that strengthening is done so that there is not a loss of camber in the frame.

Terry
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:53 PM   #8
RGordon

I would come near believing the new level up system put the frame into a bind bucking the floors. Welding could not possibly do that kind of damage, even though there is small amount of metal draw if not secured properly when welding. I would have went with the Trailair system since it much better system and so much better on the structual frame parts. I removed my Trailair pinbox once and purchased a MorRyde, and it did not take long for me to discover the pounding the heavy front end of the MS was being put through. I removed the MorRyde and replaced the Trailair pinbox with tri-glide, and you would not believe how much less stress is placed on the pinbox section. I also went with the Trailair Centerpoint suspension, which again in my opinion is hands down better equipment. Good luck on getting things back to normal!
2007 Mobile Suite 38RL3 #3698
RGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:45 AM   #9
Motor31

If the welding was done with oxy acetylene it may have overheated the frame in some spots removing the temper of the metal. The frame is a rather thin walled box rather than a more solid "C" channel or "I" beam frame. I could see that happening without too much trouble.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:09 PM   #10
bstark

I may be in error but my take on the explanation is NOT the welding itself but the placement and type of suspension that has offset all of the trailers weight from under the frame members to their outsides. which has served to cant them apart at the bottoms. I can see how this would occur if no attempt were made to 'tie' the two frame members parallel at the points where the suspension is providing this 'lever moment' to the frame.

I dislike any suspension system that displaces the weight and support of the trailer to an offset positon equal to the distance of the wheel from the frame member instead of directly 'under' those frame rails where it belongs.