Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2017, 11:58 AM   #1
apickens

National General Insurance

I am looking to insure my 5th wheel with National General Insurance. Does anyone know anything about the company? On the BBB web site they have a number on bad reviews.

Thanks

apickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 02:08 PM   #2
wingnut60
Site Team

I just got a policy with them thru GS--was worried that it might be hard to get a claim done. Last June, I hit a guard pole at a gas station by pivoting too sharply--$5500 first estimate. Had only been with them 4 months--they asked for pics, I sent them, they ran an estimate off the pics and sent me a check less deductible. Since I was on the start of an AK trip, did not get the check for couple of months, but I had explained the situation. When I got home, found a competent fiberglass shop nearby, took the unit in, owner said they had done business with NG prior with no problems. There was about $1500 more in hidden damage, which NG paid without my even being involved. Unit is at home now with almost no way to tell what was damaged. NG handled it very well, in fact, don't think I have ever had an ins claim done as easily.
So, I say they are good to be with.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Joe

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 02:21 PM   #3
anpickens

Thanks Joe

I visited the Better Business Bureau's web site and there are many complaints about the National General insurance company.

Happy Rving

Apickens
anpickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 03:31 PM   #4
wingnut60
Site Team

I find myself believing in the general trend of reviews on the internet--some reflect terrible treatment of a customer--thus, it leads me to be biased toward a company without any personal experience. The real problem is when you go against the review trend and get burned yourself--then you wonder why in the world you didn't believe the reviews.
Remember, many more complain than compliment on service and quality.
Check out the reviews of State Farm and try to make an informed decision....
Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:46 PM   #5
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
In many cases it isn't the company per se, but the quality or caliber of the adjuster assigned to handle your claim. After many years in the auto bodyshop business this was more true on a daily basis. As an example AAA was one of the best accounts in my shop, they had 6 adjusters out of the office that delt with my shop. Five were just wonderful to deal with, one was a real pain, for us and the customers. It is the luck of the draw when you turned in a claim on who was going to handle you. Some offices may have just the reverse in good vrs bad adjusters. So when people review the company it doesn't show the real cause of the complaint. How are the rates compared to other companies your checking out? Is it going to be a full time policy or a vacation type coverage?
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:33 AM   #6
westx

Had National General thru CW had a tree jump out and got roof edge they replaced roof and thought all was well until renewal notice was received. Had a 350% increase. Do not have them now
Fulltimers since Sept. 06
westx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:19 AM   #7
Gramps

Good experience

We went with National General at the advice of our father in law and have had reasonable rates all along.
This past summer we totaled our car.( our Rig was in a campsite not involved in the accident)
They really handled it well couldn't be more pleased.
And our rates did not go up!

Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote