Old 11-06-2018, 09:27 AM   #11
03Roadking

Quote:
Originally Posted by friz View Post
egads man! $554 on Amazon and you still have to bolt/unbolt it in your truck bed. My F-250 has a retractable ball. The Keystone Cougar (used) I recently purchased had the standard plate style hitch. Online I purchased a EAZ-Lift 48501 gooseneck adatpter , $350 including shipping. Drilled 4 holes in the box, slid it on the receiver pin and attached the 4 bolts. Rated at 30Klbs GTW. Weighs about 50 lbs. My 100 lb wife and I installed it it under the box in less than an hour. Hooking/unhooking is a breeze. I can actually see the ball in my rear view mirror so hookup can be a one man op. Retract the ball by pulling a lever and I have a clean open bed. Push the lever and the ball appears. Easy peasy.
What I was referring to is a pin box that goes on the 5th wheel in place of the usual box. https://www.reese-hitches.com/produc...rade20K_,94623
They aren't cheap but you don't have the problems I have read about using an adapter. But I have no experience only what I have read.

03Roadking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:38 PM   #12
friz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Roadking View Post
What I was referring to is a pin box that goes on the 5th wheel in place of the usual box. https://www.reese-hitches.com/produc...rade20K_,94623
They aren't cheap but you don't have the problems I have read about using an adapter. But I have no experience only what I have read.

Sorry if I confused you. I was also referring to the pin box bolted onto the 5th wheel. This adapter slides onto the pin on the box with a large matching machined pin and 4, 1/2" bolts. I have had two other 5th wheels and both had gooseneck hitches. Not sure what problems with adapters you have heard about but would gladly listen. Reese is certainly a well known name in hitches.

https://www.eaz-lift.com/provisions

friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM   #13
17Oaks

Anderson vs Pullrite, sorry folks, Pullrite!!! http://www.pullrite.com/products/superlite-series

Yes everyone told me Anderson, so I looked and did not buy, later on after buying a Resse I saw an ad for Pullrite and the pic alone had me chasing one down to look see, I bought it.

WHY? Simple the Anderson is a tension based setup that is on 2 planes. The Pullrite uses the Roman arch x 2 with the ball cup in the center and 2 steel plates for horizontal reinforcement. In, short, superior engineering and a significantly larger safety envelope.

Vs

17Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:03 PM   #14
wingnut60
Site Team

That is an interesting pic of the Andersen--any story about what/how it happened? I assumed they are locked on a gooseneck ball--how could it have moved if locked down?
2015 38RSSA #7382
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:55 AM   #15
Bjlakatos

We have had our Andersen for about 8k miles

How much more or less difficult is it to connect? --------Its as simple as a bumper pull EXCEPT the Red cone makes it even easier with a target about 6inches in diameter vs 2 5/8 on your bumper pull. Hitching is smooth, quiet and predictable. (it always spooked us watching folks in the campground ramming their 9klb duallys into their brand new trailer's kingpin to get the conventional hitch jaws to lock.)

Would you recommend it and if so why?----------Ease of use, quiet while driving, easy to remove/install, Andersen is a top-notch company, if you have an issue they will help resolve it. No question about whether your hitch is latched either.

Is the ride smoother with this hitch vs. Mooride tongue and standard hitch? ------- I have a basic lippert 15k hitch and our ride is extremely smooth, quiet.

We just returned from a 2 wk trip in New Mexico and Colorado. Going up and down the mountain passes, the hitch performed very well. Like others have said, it is very easy for the wife to assist in aligning the truck and hitch.

Like others have said, read the reviews--on Amazon as well.
Bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:17 AM   #16
17Oaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
That is an interesting pic of the Andersen--any story about what/how it happened? I assumed they are locked on a gooseneck ball--how could it have moved if locked down?
There are quite a few out there and I think (?) this is the one that the trailer got hit in the rear by a car. They all the pics up in their posting and I was surprised at how little damage there was from the car to the trailer, there was not a pic of the car.

All the ones I have seen the legs have buckled. It's not a design I think is strong enough to handle the lateral forces that apply, especially those that result from a forward moving and suddenly slowing or braking occurrence. That is where the max weight transfer takes place and that is where it seems to fail often.

I believe it was built for light weight not high strength.
Old Today, 10:29 AM   #17
17Oaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjlakatos View Post

How much more or less difficult is it to connect? --------Its as simple as a bumper pull EXCEPT the Red cone makes it even easier with a target about 6inches in diameter vs 2 5/8 on your bumper pull. Hitching is smooth, quiet and predictable. (it always spooked us watching folks in the campground ramming their 9klb duallys into their brand new trailer's kingpin to get the conventional hitch jaws to lock.)

Would you recommend it and if so why?----------Ease of use, quiet while driving, easy to remove/install, Andersen is a top-notch company, if you have an issue they will help resolve it. No question about whether your hitch is latched either.

Is the ride smoother with this hitch vs. Mooride tongue and standard hitch? ------- I have a basic lippert 15k hitch and our ride is extremely smooth, quiet.

We just returned from a 2 wk trip in New Mexico and Colorado. Going up and down the mountain passes, the hitch performed very well. Like others have said, it is very easy for the wife to assist in aligning the truck and hitch.

I say exactly the same thing about the Pullrite, in fact I just bought my second one.

Pullrite is simply better engineered, heavier, yes but I have yet to see or hear of one that failed in use.
Old Today, 11:11 AM   #18
GlennWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjlakatos View Post

No need to ram tow vehicle into to pin. I don't. I really don't have a dog in this fight. They not rated for the load I pull.But justifying it this way is lame. Not saying it don't happen, but they are wrong in their way. 5th wheel hitches are easy to hook up. Also mine won't fail in a wreck either.
Old Today, 11:34 AM   #19
17Oaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennWest View Post
No need to ram tow vehicle into to pin. I don't. I really don't have a dog in this fight. They not rated for the load I pull.But justifying it this way is lame. Not saying it don't happen, but they are wrong in their way. 5th wheel hitches are easy to hook up. Also mine won't fail in a wreck either.
I have seen folks in the RV park ramming them in and always went over to understand what and why. What I noticed was a lack of grease.

LOL back when I would hear new guys doing drilling and lathe work and the screaming of metal. I would go to the tool room and get a can of cutting oil and take it over to them and tell them: "cutting oil is CHEAP, use it"

The Pullrite recommends a shot of WD 40 or other light oil before each use, and keep it clean. They don't recommend heavy grease.