Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2007, 07:19 AM   #1
wecandiggett

do you tow behind MS

I know this has been asked a thousand times but here goes. What my question is does any one tow a trailer behind ther M/S not if you can but do you.

charter member
wecandiggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:33 AM   #2
luv2cruise

We do not tow behind our MS but have friends that do tow a small one wheel utility type trailer that carries two motorbikes and two bicycles. As a matter of fact it is currently for sale including the motorbikes. PM me if you would like more information.

We are currently parked at Dreamcatcher in Deming, NM and they are right next to us. Will be moving to Benson, AZ on Wed.

Just to clarify - we feel that it would be a weight issue for us to tow behind the MS, plus you have the backing up problem. Others will have different opinions.

2004 36TK3 Mobile Suites #0752
https://deanandjanice.blogspot.com
SKP # 89736
luv2cruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:45 AM   #3
Gunship Guy

We don't. The deck area behind the cab of the truck is pretty roomy. We normally carry 4 bikes and a ladder back there but can include a storage box and generator as needed. The rear hitch on the MS is still a virgin.
Gunship Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 02:18 PM   #4
rverdlm

FWIW, the reason I went to an HDT was so that I could tow behind my trailer. First my Avion and now the MS. I formerly had a F350 dually and I would not have considered towing behind the trailer with it. With your F250 you are already at or over the GCWR and with a single rear wheel truck adding a trailer behind would be very unsafe. You could easily get into a bad sway situation.
2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 09:17 AM   #5
Motor31

It would be interesting to hear what Lippert says about installing a tow hitch on their frame rails and towing another vehicle of some type.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 02:35 PM   #6
wecandiggett

I have seen other brands with everything from boats to motorcycles pulled behind them. I would think the tounge weight would be the factor to keep in mind. I have an alum motorcycle trailer with my bike on it the tounge wwight is 200 lb. and the total package is 1500 lb.

I may not have a big enough truck but if the chasse on the fifth wheel can not handle this kind of weight I beleive it is margnal for what it is carring now.

I pull it with 2 bikes on it behind my truck and can keep the tounge at 200 lb. With no sway at all.

I will call the Lippet people just to hear what they say.
charter member
Old 01-09-2007, 03:06 PM   #7
Hobo

You may want to post your question on www.RV.Net or other forums that have a broader base to find people that have actually done what your asking.
I don't think any manufacture actually OKs the practice but that in itself doesn't make it wrong or unlawful. You would however also need to check laws for towing state by state.
Lemon Tree 04 MS 36TK3 #0886
Hughes Net
Fulltimer since 1999
Find me at https://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=2000
Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:47 PM   #8
rotaxman

towing

I know that NuWa sends about 80 percent of their trailers out the door with a factory installed hitch. The local dealer told me that they are rated to pull 5000lbs with a 500 lb tongue weight. I've looked at every Hitchhiker that I have seen and I think he was telling me the truth I haven't seen one that dosen't have a hitch.

As always good camping
Joyce and Jerry
2000 F 450 V10
5.38 gears trailer special
Automatic 4R100
20000# Reese Hitch
Trail Air Suspension and Pin Box with Tri Glide
Honda 4500 ex
Hughes Internet
Garmin 2720 talking GPS
Pressure Pro
Junk frame 2009 38TKSB3 #4750
rotaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:52 PM   #9
rverdlm

Mike, Lippert put the stubs for the hitch on my trailer. All they said was that they would not put the hitch on for legal reasons. They had no problems from a strenght standpoint. I told them I would be towing about 2 tons.
2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 08:39 PM   #10
Carny Bill

Only 2 cents I can add is that in Illinois you can leagally tow a ball behind a 5th wheel, you can not tow 2 ball loads.

Bill
12 Blue Elite #6296 38RS3
08 chevy C3500
09 yel spyder toad
Carny Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:53 AM   #11
wecandiggett

I called Lippet and they more or less said it could be done would they do it NO. I have a hitch on mine that was installed by the factory that says 300 lb tounge weight. They were surprised.

I understand there are different laws in each state.

I realy wanted to hear from some one that was doing it.

Thanks for all the help.
charter member
Old 01-11-2007, 10:54 AM   #12
wecandiggett

I called Lippet and they more or less said it could be done would they do it NO. I have a hitch on mine that was installed by the factory that says 300 lb tounge weight. They were surprised.

I understand there are different laws in each state.

I realy wanted to hear from some one that was doing it.

Thanks for all the help.
charter member
Old 01-18-2007, 02:45 PM   #13
layne

towing

We tow a motorcycle trailer (10 foot) behind our elite suites, but are now looking for a dolly to tow our VW when we don't tow the motorcycle. No problems so far.
layne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:17 PM   #14
djo

Yes, we tow a 12' v-nose cargo trailer with our Harley & bikes and stuff in it. That was one of the reasons we chose a Mobile Suite, the frame and construction can handle it and I verified all this with Double Tree before we ordered one built.

The dealer had a hitch house weld on a good sturdy receiver after it was delivered.

The cargo trailer trails very nicely, tracks right behind with no problems. We also had the MS built with the back-up camera installed and had it wired for towing.

We are very pleased.
2006 Mobile Suite 36TK3 #3052
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel
2007 Harley Heritage
djo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 08:18 PM   #15
fiverdriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by djo
Yes, we tow a 12' v-nose cargo trailer with our Harley & bikes and stuff in it. That was one of the reasons we chose a Mobile Suite, the frame and construction can handle it and I verified all this with Double Tree before we ordered one built....
This is the first time I have heard anyone say that the factory approved adding a hitch to tow another trailer, especially a 12' trailer.

If you don't mind sharing a little more information, what does "I verified all this with Double Tree " mean? Did you tell someone employeed at Doubletree that you planned on towing a 12' trailer behind their fifth wheel and have that employee tell you that Doubletree approved the installation of a hitch for that purpose and that you would have no warranty problems if you did? Do you remember this persons name?

Just curious since I too am interested in adding a hitch and this is contrary to everything I have heard from the factory.
fiverdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 07:42 AM   #16
RustyJC

I'm waiting to hear more on this as well as I have a BMW K1200GT that I would like to take along on some trips.

Rusty
2004 DoubleTree Mobile Suites 36RE3 #1291
2002 Dodge 3500 DRW Cummins HO/6-speed
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 11:25 AM   #17
djo

fiverdriver,

I talked to a dealer who could tell I was was skeptical in what a "dealer/saleman" would tell me so he gave me a DT representatives phone number who I talked quite extensivley with about towing and other issues.

The rep said as long as the receiver was "professionally installed by a legitimate installation business" that there was no problem with him. I guess that may make that business liable if there is any problems towing? The rep was very clear about how the MS could handle towing with it's strong frame and construction. I do not remember the reps name.

I know I did not mention an exact size cargo trailer to him just that we wanted to tow a small one. Our 12' v-nose cargo is the same as a typical 10' box type cargo trailer, it weighs around 900#.

We've towed a few thousand miles now with no problems (knock on wood). And my husband backs the MS to the cargo hitch right on with the back-up camera that is aimed staight down to see that.

When we were interested in this idea, and had seen it done, I sent a message out like you did. I did not get any helpful replies, one reply was "why don't you leave your toys at home!" and that set off a chain of replies in that area. I hope this is helpful to you.
2006 Mobile Suite 36TK3 #3052
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel
2007 Harley Heritage
djo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:31 PM   #18
wecandiggett

Your information is helpfull I to was told to leave my toys home . If I did that the M/S would stay home to its a toy. As I have mentioned that I see this done all the time not that it is good but you telling me you do it is what I was looking for . Some one with some experience with it. My trailer is alum and weight in at 480 lb with my bike on it weighs 1550 lbs with a tounge weight of 200 lb.

Just to brag I see you have a HD I have a 2006 electraglide clasic which I converted to a trike with lots of crome a gost flames. Quite a ride.
charter member
Old 01-22-2007, 09:39 PM   #19
bstark

It gets difficult sometimes to ignore the pundits who offer up idiotic responses such as "try leaving your toys at home". For those of us who are not fulltimers and for most RV'ers over the years, these RV's are our toys!

The ability to travel in comfortable trailers such as these came about through folks wanting the ability to take more of their "stuff" with them otherwise we'd still be using a groundsheet and piece of tarpaulin.

I love watching the folks who are trying different ways to travel with their toys. Necessity may be the mother of invention but desire is obviously the godfather!
Old 01-22-2007, 11:28 PM   #20
sigo'suite

For anyone interested, I can give you the name of a fella here who fabricates and installs hitches and makes carriers of various and sundry sizes and styles which fit into the 2" receiver. And his products will do the job.

He was originally a certified welder throughtout the construction of the Nuclear Plant here several years ago and then went into business for himself when that project was finished.

His hitch will tow what you want, but it will have to be installed at his location here in Granbury, Tx.

Anyone interested, can PM me, or e-mail me and I will give you the info to contact him.

sigo'suite is offline   Reply With Quote