Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2012, 04:27 PM   #1
bfitz

Dometic Penguin II vibration/noise

Hello,
We did a lot of research before deciding on and placing the order for our new DRV Mobile Suite so we did not really expect that we would have any “major” issues. The one thing that is really making us crazy is the noise and vibration made by the low profile Dometic Penguin II AC units. They are unbelievably loud and the vibration rattles the walls and fixtures with a consistent droning. When the dealership took a “that’s just the way it is” attitude we contacted Dometic for help. The representative that we talked to suggested a soft grommet kit which can be installed under warranty. The part has been ordered and we are hopeful that this will do the trick. Just wondering if anyone else has had the same issue? Should I be concerned that it might be an installation issue that is exclusive to DRV?
Thank you for any words of advice that you can offer.

bfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:22 PM   #2
wackum

I have the same problem on my 2013 RSSB3. Lots of vibration with either unit. Post if the rubber grommet fixes it

wackum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
bfitz

Sure will. Our unit is also a 2013 RSSB3, so sounds like apples to apples.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:05 PM   #4
rotaxman

Me Too

I had an 06 that was very quiet but this junk 09 I have has the same problem that you described. I would also be interested if the grommet upgrade helps.

As always good camping
Joyce and Jerry
2000 F 450 V10
5.38 gears trailer special
Automatic 4R100
20000# Reese Hitch
Trail Air Suspension and Pin Box with Tri Glide
Honda 4500 ex
Hughes Internet
Garmin 2720 talking GPS
Pressure Pro
Junk frame 2009 38TKSB3 #4750
rotaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:32 AM   #5
hitchup

We've had 2 Suites (2006 & 2009) with the same size AC units. 13.5 in bedroom and 15 in the living area.

The bedroom is louder than the one in the living room. I also notice the LR fan on AUTO doesn't spin on High, while the BR seems to. That may be one of the reasons it's louder upstairs.

Almost opted for the 15 in the BR, but thought we'd save a few bucks. Now, I wish we had ordered them both as 15's.
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #6
bfitz

I am so happy to report that our AC unites are now operating at a very acceptable decibel! The soft grommet kits have been installed and honestly it is absolutely the difference in night and day!!! We are totally thrilled that we can now enjoy our new DRV. The rattling and droning are "completely" gone! If you are having this problem, don't just settle for the "that's just the way they are" answer. Check with your rv dealer and have them get the fix kit from dometic. We appreciate all of the input and response, Thank you so much!
Old 08-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #7
bfitz

Just in case anyone can use the following information...
In working through this issue we were informed on how to tell if your Dometic Penguin II low profile ac was updated with the soft grommets at the factory or not.

For Model numbers similar to 641816.XXICO: After week 18 of 2012, they began installing the soft grommets at the dometic factory.
If you have a new penguin II Low profile that was installed around this time frame... this is how you can tell if your unit has the factory installed soft grommets: (Check your serial #)
- The first digit of that number represents the year manufactured
- The second and third digits represent the week that the unit was made
EXAMPLE: For serial # 22524704
The first three digits indicate that this unit was manufactured in 2012, week 25.

Any serial numbers dated before week 18 of 2012 did not get the factory installed soft grommets, so unless they have been installed after factory... you may be having to put up with a lot more noise and vibration than necessary. Call Dometic or see your RV dealer.

Depending on how quickly a repair shop can get to it, it does not take long to do the upgrade. They do have to remove the cover and lift the compressor up.

Dometic covers this under the warranty and there is no cost to the owner.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:03 PM   #8
rotaxman

Dometic

Just got off the phone with Dometic was 15 deep on the waiting list. When all you sell is junk I can see where your CS people might be pretty busy. I finally got to talk to a CS person she knew nothing about a soft grommet kit. She did know that they have several kits for the units but didn't have any idea what I was talking about.

I asked her to direct me to someone who could get me what I needed she put me on hold came back and had the part number and also said they had two kits in stock.

The problem is it was going to be 47 dollars and change I think that they should be covered by Dometic. They are the dummies that decided to put this hard grommets in and make your trailer drone and rattle.

I had already spent enough money in minutes so I sent them an email and explained a few things to them. Will be interesting to see what kind of reply I get.

As always good camping
Joyce and Jerry
2000 F 450 V10
5.38 gears trailer special
Automatic 4R100
20000# Reese Hitch
Trail Air Suspension and Pin Box with Tri Glide
Honda 4500 ex
Hughes Internet
Garmin 2720 talking GPS
Pressure Pro
Junk frame 2009 38TKSB3 #4750
rotaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #9
wackum

I also had bad vibrations in my new MS 36RSSB3 when I picked it up in June.
I sent Greg Walden at DRV a message about it after reading about it on here. He informed me of that there was an updated grommet and sent me a set for each PenguinII . Replaced them and man what a difference it made. It does not take that long to replace them!!!!

wackum is offline   Reply With Quote