Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2009, 11:38 AM   #1
golf_bears

Greasing Shakel Bolts, Help?

Need some guidance in getting my MS shakel bolts greased. Am replacing the straight Zirk grease fittings with a 90 degree fitting for ease of access, no problems doing this. Problem is getting the grease to flow into the bolt, doesn’t appear to be entering. Had read before on this forum where you need to jack up the axel to be able to spin the shakel bolt around so grease can enter. From those of you who have performed this task, exactly where do you place the jack and how high do you need to jack so that the shakel bolt will spin? Any other advice will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

golf_bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:27 PM   #2
billr

Need to use a few large blocks of wood and jack at the frame to un-weight the bolt you want to turn. Only need to take the weight from the spring, don't have to jack the wheel off the ground. Then turn the bolt 90 degrees and try to grease it. Do it again if need be to get the grease to flow.

Bill

05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:08 PM   #3
anijet

My memory isn't 100% but IIRC from when I changed the riding height of our rig, the shackle bolts have serations near the head that bite into the shackle to prevent them from truning in the shackle. This is so the shackle holes won't wear out but rather the rotating motion is between the bolt shank and the spring where there is a much larger contact area. If this is the case, you won't be able to turn the bolts unless you strip the shackle hole where the serations are. You would need to take the nut off and push the bolt out to clear the serations.
anijet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:25 AM   #4
Motor31

No serrations on my rigs bolts. I just had to take some weight off of the axle to get it to rotate a bit. I had to loosen the nut on the other end of the bolt and it rotated just fine. Turn it only 90 degrees and try the grease gun again. Don't think that a new zerk means it will pass grease. If the bolt took grease before but now won't remove the zerk and check it to make sure it is not the culprit.

I grease mine every 6 months, a little squirt is all it takes. Don't forget to lube the pin and your hitch so they don't gall when traveling.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:43 AM   #5
Huck

Send a message via ICQ to Huck
Quote:
the shackle bolts have serations near the head that bite into the shackle to prevent them from truning in the shackle. This is so the shackle holes won't wear out but rather the rotating motion is between the bolt shank and the spring where there is a much larger contact area. If this is the case, you won't be able to turn the bolts unless you strip the shackle hole where the serations are. You would need to take the nut off and push the bolt out to clear the serations.
This is absolutely correct!!!!!!!!!!
I have worked on many of them.........
2005 RE3 MS #2163
2006 F-350 CC 4X4
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:21 AM   #6
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
I had to replace one of my bolts, as it would not take grease. I pulled it out to find when they drilled the hole inside the bolt it had some steel chip inside blocking the flow. The one I pulled out and the replacement had the serrated ends to keep if from rotating. I have the magnum suspension on my 2004.
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:23 PM   #7
billr

I had to replace a leaf spring last fall, also put new bolts on. No serrations. Old or new.

Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:57 PM   #8
RonS

I just turned the bolts untill they would take grease. Did not jack up or remove the bolts. They were easy to turn, and now all take greae.
06 MS 36TK3 #2473 w/(Phase II)side to side levelers, Trailair pin box w/Tri-Glide plate.
2011 Dodge 3500 CC 4x4 Diesel DRW Power Tuner guages etc
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:31 PM   #9
Jim Keefer

I have looked at my shackels and there are no zerk fittings on mine! Am I looking in the wrong place? :oops:
2005 CK3 #1631
2004.5 Dodge Cummins
Quad, Laramie Pkg.
BD Exhaust Brake
S.O.I.T.C. Western Division
Jim Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:44 PM   #10
anijet

After thinking about a little more, I remember using a gear puller to push the bolts out. If I hammered on the threaded end (with a nut on it to keep it from mushroming) it would just flex the opposite shackle. They were tight because of the serations.
anijet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:18 PM   #11
Ridge Runner

I had to loosen the zerks a tad on mine to get them to take grease. If they are too tight it somehow stops the flow of grease.
Bob
Ridge Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:10 AM   #12
Huck

Quote:
I have looked at my shackels and there are no zerk fittings on mine! Am I looking in the wrong place? :oops:
Did you look on the back side too? Mine were originally on the back side from the factory.
2005 RE3 MS #2163
2006 F-350 CC 4X4
Old 01-30-2009, 07:38 AM   #13
golf_bears

Thanks for all the replies guys. The only question is if there are any serrations on the bolts. I had one replaced in May but I can't remember if it was or was not serrated. Think I’ll give DRV a call and speak with someone with technical knowledge on the suspension system.

Based on all your input, looks like some RV suspension systems have the serrated bolts and some do not. Maybe has something to do with the Magnum versus the regular suspension?
Old 01-31-2009, 05:16 PM   #14
keithandpenne

Greasing bolts

golf_bears

You might try putting a pry-bar between the spring eye and frame, pull down while applying grease. Many will take but some might require turning or removal and cleaning/replacement. Could save you some extra work. A good tip on the grease gun will also help keep the grease from leaking around the head of the zerk.
2005 36TK3 #1855
2008 F450 CC Lariat
keithandpenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:54 PM   #15
Jim Keefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck
Quote:
Did you look on the back side too? Mine were originally on the back side from the factory.
Huck,
I checked both sides of the shackel bolt and again I have no zerk fittings anywhere on my leaf spring shackel bolts.. looks like I will have to call factory and order the correct shackel bolts with the fittings?

Jim
2005 CK3 #1631
2004.5 Dodge Cummins
Quad, Laramie Pkg.
BD Exhaust Brake
S.O.I.T.C. Western Division
Jim Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:40 AM   #16
Huck

You may have to put the brass/bronze bushings in the spring eyes also.

Because normaly, if the shackle bolts have no zerk fittings there maybe plastic type bushings in the spring eyes. And they wear out very fast, less than 10,000 miles. Then they get noisier.

I know that if you buy the heavy duty greaseable shackle kit from Dexter they will send you bolts with zerk fittings, extra(1/2")thick spring hangers, brass/bronze spring eye bushings, and equalizers with zerk grease fittings on them. All for less than $150 for tandem axles, last I checked.
2005 RE3 MS #2163
2006 F-350 CC 4X4
Old 02-04-2009, 07:59 AM   #17
golf_bears

Here’s an update:

There are three pins per leaf spring to grease if you have the TrialAir suspension. That means I had twelve pins to grease.

Six pins took grease easily. Was able to rotate two other pins easily into position to take grease and they are serrated, felt the thump as they rotated when I tried to loosen the nuts. To grease the four remaining pins I will need to jack the trailer and get the load off the leave spring. Will do that another day.

The jobs was relatively easy although you’re down on your knees and laying on your back at times to access the nuts and get them rotated.