Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
terry and jo

Hot Water Heater Issues

OK. I seem to have a problem that "probably" just needs a little tip that I have either forgotten or can't seem to find in the manuals. Even though our MS is brand new still, I can't seem to get the hot water to heat water.

When we were first checking out the unit for any glitches, I hooked up the water and checked for the operation of gas burners at the cook-top. So, I have electricity and water and gas, but I can't get hot water. Initially, I tried it with electric, but no luck. Then I tried it with gas, and I never could see the hot water heater burner to light. So, no hot water that way either.

I tried troubleshooting, checked the on/off switch in the exterior compartment where the burner is located, checked the switch in the "closet" under the clock. Nothing.

So, when we took the unit back to the dealer to have them address the issues that we had with the fifth wheel, the hot water heater issue was on the list.

Later, the dealership informs me that they could find nothing wrong with the hot water heater, and that everything worked. So, I figured that there was some dumb thing that I had missed.

We brought it home, hooked up water, electric and verified that the gas was on. Still have a good flame at the cooktop, but no hot water.

It isn't like I am ignorant of such things. I used to deliver propane and have plenty of experience with pilot lights, burners in hot water heaters, cook stoves, heaters, etc. I somewhat understand electrical issues too.

So, any ideas as to what I am missing?

Terry

2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:38 PM   #2
wingnut60
Site Team

water heater

Terry,
Since your unit is new, I would doubt that you have neither gas nor electric to the water heater, especially since the dealer finds nothing wrong--unless the dealer never actually checked anything.
You have electricity to the microwave? Thats the way I check to make sure the shore power is working. Then you have checked to be sure the circuit breaker for the water heater is on--But if it wasn't, the dealer would have said???
If you have had it on electricity--it never gets hot? Remember, it takes about 30 sec for hot water to get from the heater to the sink--less for the lavatory. And the propane won't come on unless the water is cold enough for the thermostat to allow it.
The only other item to check is the WINTER BYPASS SYSTEM--that will keep hot water from getting out of the heater into the system.
Joe

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
jas24

water heater

terry and jo,

I had the same problem with my 06 when it was new. After trying to get service at the dealer to tell me why it wouldn't work. I finally figured out that the bypass handle (which looked correct) was in the wrong position.
After I turned it to look like it was bypassing the water heater, it did work.
Not sure if that is what's wrong with yours, but it was with mine.
Hope this helps

06 F-350 Lariat 4x4 V-10 CC SRW LB
06 Mobile Suites 36CK3
jas24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
terry and jo

Thanks to everyone that posted possibilities.

As soon as I got home, I printed out someone's answer (from another forum) and went out to the camper and started looking. Turned the valve and heard a bit of water running into "something". Wasn't sure yet so I shut the valve back and opened the emergency relief valve and let the water run. In about a minute the water started coughing with air and diminished to a trickle. Turned the relief valve off, opened the bypass valve and then opened the relief valve again. The water kept running without 'running out'.

Turned that off and went inside and turned on the hot water at the kitchen sink. Ran for several minutes, enough so to make me believe that the hot water I was getting wasn't from water being heated in the supply hose laying across the lawn.

Went back outside and the gas burner was operating to reheat the water. So, at least the gas part is working.

After reading of the possibility of the bypass valve being off, I worried all day at work that all the time I spent with the electric part of the hot water heater running might have been on an empty hot water tank. That, as you all know, would have ruined the electric hot water element. But, I think that when the RV dealer was checking things out, they filled the hot water heater prior to shutting off the valve.

I haven't tried out the electric element yet, so I'll still have to wait on that. However, I'm encouraged that hot water ran for several minutes from the kitchen faucet, indicating that it probably had water in it and I'm safe with the electrical side.

Thanks again, everyone. Man, do I have a LOT yet to learn. Our old 26 footers didn't have all the "foo-fer-all" that is on the Mobile Suites.

Terry
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:51 PM   #5
BlueSkyRanch

Hot Water Heater 110 short

Took my rig in for repairs and they found a burnt 110v wire at the Hot Water heater. It tripped the circuit breaker once and was sparking and could have caused a fire.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:04 PM   #6
Watty11

Hot water issues

I have a 2014 Laredo 329RE Fifth wheel unit and I am only getting hot water for approx. 10 seconds and my pilot light is not working. I tried resetting it. Nothing. Checked the breakers and nothing. I turn on my switch in the trailer, nothing. I turn on the on switch where the pilot light is and still nothing. The manuals you get really don't say much. I also checked my valves to my tank and tried switching them around and still only hot for approx. 10 seconds. Does anyone have any ideas for me to check. Looking forward to your responses and help. thank you very much for your time.
Watty11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:15 AM   #7
Cummins12V98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watty11 View Post
I have a 2014 Laredo 329RE Fifth wheel unit and I am only getting hot water for approx. 10 seconds and my pilot light is not working. I tried resetting it. Nothing. Checked the breakers and nothing. I turn on my switch in the trailer, nothing. I turn on the on switch where the pilot light is and still nothing. The manuals you get really don't say much. I also checked my valves to my tank and tried switching them around and still only hot for approx. 10 seconds. Does anyone have any ideas for me to check. Looking forward to your responses and help. thank you very much for your time.

You would be better off starting a new topic instead of bringing up this old of a thread.

2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote