Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2010, 09:41 AM   #1
berghild

Send a message via AIM to berghild
searching for leak in roof

could someone please help me find the source of my leak? Is there a trick to finding it....is there a special place to go for help? we have cleaned and calked like crazy....even our favorite repair shop tried.
it comes and goes....and then sometimes it shows in a different spot. sometimes it drips by the kitchen fantastic fan and sometimes behind the tv upstairs.
howard will attack everything he can think of and it seems to be fine for a couple of storms and then starts again.
We are in New England now and of course we get those summer storms...we are very worried about ruining our rig.
Where do we go for help?
And yes we are using the Dicor caulk, and cleaning before recaulking. I want to go up there so bad and look for myself ....I figure the more eyes the better.

EDGE CHIP,exhaust brake,ATS tranny, ATS turbo, AFE sir filter
ETC
2008 36TK3 ES3917/no granite
berghild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:42 AM   #2
Motor31

Start checking for gaps in the seams where the cap mates with the walls of the rig. You may have a leak up high on a side seam.

It might be time to stop trying to recaulk and start laying down the eterna bond roof tape. Put it on the vent and cap seams on the roof. Look for any places where the roof may have an overhang too. Things like the AC covers. Pull them off and look inside especially if you have 2 AC units. If there is standing water inside there the weep holes may be blocked and it's putting water inside the roof.

Check the vents and make sure the pipes are sealed well and the caps extend below the opening of the pipe.

2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:57 AM   #3
BobW

I saw a way to do this on TV. They pressurize the inside of the RV, or house, and go around with a smoke tool and see where the air is coming out. This is very effective. You would have allot more air escaping from your RV than a house, but, still it would show up where the leeks are. You can find out from the people that put in insulation.
2007 M2 Freightliner
2005 Wrangler
In a land of the blind, the one eyed guy is king.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:36 PM   #4
ontheroad

If yours is the Elite Suite and has the fiberglass roof with the seam across the middle I would guess this seam is the place to start. I put eternabond 4 inch tape across to finally stop the leak. Water would come in and run to different places before it came out. Be sure and dry the attic space out well also. I removed the exhaust fan in the kitchen area and dryed from there. The factory recomended eternabond as a fix for this. It worked. I have used it on most of the seams on my fiberglass roof. If we order a new it will not have the fiberglass roof.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:00 PM   #5
berghild

Send a message via AIM to berghild
n okay i found the website...seems to be a lot of different products for RVs...and recommendations? ...i am sure you are right...this is the stuff we need. and maybe the roof isn't the leak....it's the big seams.
Don't forget to tell me how to dry out the attic!
EDGE CHIP,exhaust brake,ATS tranny, ATS turbo, AFE sir filter
ETC
2008 36TK3 ES3917/no granite
berghild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:11 PM   #6
BobW

Quote:
Originally Posted by berghild
Don't forget to tell me how to dry out the attic!
I took all the lights out and just let them lang for a week or so. Also you can take the inside vent cover off to expose the insulation. My leak was where the roof antenna was attached. Why they put the antenna on the seam is, I don't know. Take it off and caulk the devil out of it. Put it back with bigger screws.
2007 M2 Freightliner
2005 Wrangler
In a land of the blind, the one eyed guy is king.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:42 PM   #7
ontheroad

If you remove the lower cover on the fantastic fan if you have one in the area close to the cross seam, it will give you access to see and get some air in the attic. Also the lights can be removed. I used the 4 inch eternabond in the white. It comes in different length rolls. It is a good investment. Be sure when you put it on use dicor on the edges which is what DRV said.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:25 AM   #8
hitchup

Our 2006 ES developed nearly all of those leaks and more, over a period of time.

The last leak was around the roof ladder on the rear of the coach. DH had to unscrew, clean out the mold/moss buildup and reattach with better screws. I think he used new gray putty on each screw hole.

We never got around to doing the SealTest to check for more leaks, but suggested to the dealer we traded it to, that they do it right away.

Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote