Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2008, 02:49 PM   #1
john

Leveling The 5th wheel

Hi All,
Just had Dale Fenton's crew put his auto leveling system on my 2006. Works great. I love things that work by pushing a button. No more leveling boards to carry around. A couple of minutes and the 5th wheel is level front to back and side to side. :P

Old 06-02-2008, 05:32 PM   #2
billr

Sounds interesting. Please expand on the design and pictures for sure! Is there a web link for info?

Has Dale done this as a one off or is it something he and DT are looking at doing?

Bill

05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:32 PM   #3
john

Leveling

Bill,
Dale showed the system at the rally in Iowa. If interested suggest you contact Dale at Trailair. 800-998-4238
Photos won't show too much. Maybe Ponch will take some pictures. His is being put on tomorrow.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:42 AM   #4
Motor31

How does it interface with the Lippert system since the slides are part of the hydraulic system? Second question, what is the weight penalty for adding it?
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:45 PM   #5
rdunk

Quote: "How does it interface with the Lippert system since the slides are part of the hydraulic system?"
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I could be wrong, but I believe Lippert was involved in establishing several pieces of the design and installation criteria, so, I would assume it interfaces just as Lippert said to do it. If that is the case, then that should make it about as "right" as it can be. The system is also designed with it's own hydraulic system, for installation on 5er's not having hydraulics installed

As was said previously, Dale Fenton attended the rally, and has this leveling system installed on his Mobile Suites. He did demo the operation of the system during the rally, and it does seem to be a really simple and effective way to level side-to-side. With this system, the side-to-side leveling is done prior to unhitching from the Tow Vehicle. Once the side-to-side is level, then the rest of the "arrival set-up" is per your standard procedure.

Another neat feature of this system is..............in case of a flat tire (or whatever need), you can use this system to raise the wheels off the ground. This capability can really come in handy for us at times.

Caveat - please note that my comments are based upon my remembrance of what was said during the rally demo, so, if you want to know specific (and accurate) details on this, then as John (above) said, call the expert, and that is Dale.

I do believe that Dale, with this leveling system, has come up with another really significant product that can make our " RV'ing lives on the road" more enjoyable. We all know that a lot of the RV parks have spaces that are somewhat "less than level". And, in our three years of fulltiming, I have not found side-to-side leveling to be particularly enjoyable, but rather seems to take some of the "fun" out of setting up (lol).

I don't have Dale's leveling system installed (yet), but if I did, then I wouldn't need to carry around all of the stuff I have for manual leveling - two expensive inflatable air leveling bags, a case of orange colored leveling blocks, and some pieces of wood. Would give me a little more space for DW's "stuff" (lol)

Robert and Carlene

2005 RE3, S/N 2107 (sold Jan. 2010)
rdunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:48 PM   #6
john

Leveling

This is our 3rd stop since installing the leveling system. Easy to use and does a great job.
Dale has a special going at this time so if you are interested you might want to call him at Trialair.
Price will be going up, not sure when.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:20 AM   #7
RodeWorthy

More details on Leveling System for Suites

I spoke with Dale Fenton today and got information about the leveling system. He is understandably very keen on this improvement.

The system amounts to two additional cylinders that are placed just ahead of the front axle. Nothing is replaced from the original configuration -when you are set up you will have 6 cylinders on the ground. You should be very stable.

Each of the leveling cylinders has an independent control. As mentioned above the system can be used to jack the wheels off the ground to change tires and other running gear service. The system can correct as much as 9" out of level side-to-side. I forgot to ask if there is an independent hydraulic power source for the system but re-reading these posts it is confirmed that there is.

I hope I am not stealing anyone's thunder but Doubletree is about to offer this product as an option across their entire line. That news should break within 24 hours. I am told installing this system will create no problems with DT or Lippert. It is designed to avoid twisting of the frame. Considering that DT will offer the system the endorsements should be forthcoming.

Retrofit is available for $2500 and the price should hold for next 6 months. At this time it is not available to be shipped out to dealers or independents for installation. That may come later. The price quoted is for Doubletree products only -if you have another trailer brand you will have to negotiate the suitability of the retrofit and the price. Call 800-998-4238 for further information and to set an appointment for installation in their shop.

'07 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3910
Mor/ryde IS, Trailersaver TS3 hitch
Level-Up with Remote Control
4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
'08 Chevy 3500 dually Duramax/Allison
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:51 PM   #8
Carny Bill

I thank all of you for this thread. My new unit is coming out of the factory tomarrow or friday. I got ahold of Dale and they are making arrangements to install it Friday. I have wanted hdy leveling for sometime now and until this morning I knew nothing about it coming out.
This forum is great. I read it every day and always learn something.

Bill
12 Blue Elite #6296 38RS3
08 chevy C3500
09 yel spyder toad
Carny Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:05 PM   #9
RodeWorthy

New Suite with hydraulic leveler

Bill,
Congrats on the new unit. Are you getting another Elite? Please come back and let us all know about your leveler installation. Many of us are very interested.

I agree this forum is great. I have learned a great deal here too.

4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
Old 06-04-2008, 07:31 PM   #10
Carny Bill

yes, its another elite...I had to have the full body paint when they came out with it and the installing of a hitch. This will be my 3rd MS. I am very happy with them, even with the 2004 which had a few bugs in it.

I will let u know how the leveling system goes, I move every week during the summer, so it will come in very handy.

Bill
08 chevy C3500
09 yel spyder toad
Old 06-06-2008, 12:17 PM   #11
ponch

Send a message via AIM to ponch Send a message via MSN to ponch
Well mine has been installed and everything that has been said on this thread is correct.

One thing however is that in order to use this you "HAVE" to be loaded on the truck. The reason for this is that with the hydraulics and Stabilizers down you could torque/twist the frame.

This is a much needed improvement for 5th wheels and best of all it is Half the price of the other system out there.

There are a lot of things happening right now that are exciting concerning this product so keep your eyes and ears open for upcoming announcements.

The instillation slots are filling up fast so if you are interested you need to call Dale/Kara and set a date. Use the 800 # As of this time only the DT products are getting the install at The Trail Air shop. This being after market.

OE will be with DT.

P.S. I misstated: There are a couple of SOB'S that have scheduled an install, it just has not been done at this time.

Ponch
Mobile Suites 2005 36CK3 #2307 w/ auto levelers/ phase 2
Air Safe Hitch
HD TV in the basement and living room and bedroom
HD MOTO SAT Auto Ant on roof
pressure pro
ponch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:26 PM   #12
rdunk

Quote: Ponch said , "P.S. I misstated: There are a couple of SOB'S that have scheduled an install, it just has not been done at this time"
.................................................. ....................
Ponch, I am still not sure this is what you intended to say. Someone may take this personal!!! (the SOB part) lol

Robert and Carlene

2005 RE3, S/N 2107 (sold Jan. 2010)
rdunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:52 PM   #13
john

leveling

"SOB"
"Some other brand"
Old 06-06-2008, 08:44 PM   #14
Carny Bill

I certainly was lucky to catch my unit before it left and that Dale could work it in so quick. I didn't hear anything today, but is was suppose to be done this late afternoon, then be sent to my dealer in Ar. Now I need to make time to go pick it up.
08 chevy C3500
09 yel spyder toad
Old 06-06-2008, 09:12 PM   #15
ponch

Carny Bill
Congratulations

You'll find out soon!!
But it's done!! :D :D
Air Safe Hitch
pressure pro
Old 06-06-2008, 10:49 PM   #16
Carny Bill

Ponch,

Tanks so much for the info......

I move every week for about 9-10 months a year. This should be a real asset and time saver for me.

Bill
08 chevy C3500
09 yel spyder toad
Old 06-07-2008, 08:49 AM   #17
bstark

I just returned from a run down to Trailair to pick up an item I purchased from Dale and had a chance to view this new system being installed on a trailer in his shop.

It uses the current hydraulic system (preferrably the 2800psi later install) and has a remote about the size of a garage door opener that you can read while still in the truck after putting tailer on site but before unhooking. The remote wil indicate EXACTLY to the inch or less how much your trailer is off level from side to side and front to back. You then use those levelling legs to level the trailer from side to side then you perform your normal unhook maneouvers by lowering your front legs first, unhook the truck and then level front to rear and lower your rear stab's.

Dale indicates that without any unforeseen complications it would be a 4 hour install process.

As I was in a hurry to get over to the Doubletree factory before they closed for the day I didn't ask very detailed questions but as usual, Dale, and Ron were very informative and upbeat about this whole thing.

In short we will be getting it installed later this year on our run south for the winter.

Although not necessary for this installation, I will be modifying my dump valve sewer drain outlet forward to get it out from under that big slideout and give them more room for that kitchen side cylinder. I am doing this more for my convenience however, as I'm tired of racing my D/W to get the sewer hooked up before she can deploy that slideout. I do believe she runs in there, pushes that button and chuckles!
Old 06-07-2008, 11:57 AM   #18
ponch

Bstark
That coach was mine and I was standing there.
Ponch
Air Safe Hitch
pressure pro
Old 06-07-2008, 04:28 PM   #19
RodeWorthy

Bruce,
Funny you should mention the sewer valve. I just returned from looking at my trailer and came to the same conclusion. That pipe needs to move forward some and I need an additional sluice gate. There is too much bypass from the OE and what that pipe can store seems like a lot.

Thanks for the added information on the leveler system. It is sounding better all the time.

Ponch, too bad you guys could not have met. Sounds like Bruce was in a hurry. You have me curious about the 'goodies' coming down the pipe.

edit: deleted non-functioning emoticon.

Old 06-07-2008, 04:43 PM   #20
ponch

Actually I was standing next to both he and Sandra as Dale was discussing the install. Even visited with both of them. I guess names just didn't come up. Shame on me!

Ponch

Air Safe Hitch
pressure pro