Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2018, 09:36 PM   #1
Campingnownthen

My 5th wheel is delaminating

Hey all, our 5th wheel has a pretty large area on the back of the rig that is delamming. Recently had all seams from top to bottom re-sealed but don't know what to do with this problem. I can't be the 1st person to have this issue. Sales people say I need to trade it immediately so I don't get 'stuck' with it. I'm not ready for a different one quite yet. So what do I do? Who do I call? Can I fix it myself? Is it even fixable??

Thanks in advance!

Campingnownthen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 10:14 PM   #2
wingnut60
Site Team

Make? Model? Where are you located?

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 03:59 AM   #3
Notanlines

Cathy, your Springdale being about 5-6 years old probably has a retail worth to you of about $20,000 if in very good condition. The delamination is tearing that price down already. I would be very wary about sinking much money in this RV. The rear of that RV is one large panel and would be very expensive to replace. The price for replacing this panel will be in the $7000 range. If the water leaks are fixed then you're good to go. Make sure you keep this end of the RV vented well with air moving until you are certain it has dried.
Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:34 AM   #4
Campingnownthen

Sorry, it's a 2014 Springdale by Keystone, live in St. Louis, MO

Thanks!
Old 12-18-2018, 09:37 AM   #5
Campingnownthen

Thanks for the reply. We just bought it from a private seller for $16k. It truly is in excellent shape. The previous family was not allowed in it except to sleep! No cooking, lounging etc. It even smelled new when we walked in it the first time. It has not leaked to date....knock on wood.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:00 PM   #6
fjr vfr

Many 5th wheel trailers have some bulging in the rear. The rear is a flexible panel with fiberglass insulation behind it unlike the side walls which are laminated and should not bulge.
The reason for the difference is because all the electrical and cable/satellite wires run up from inside the back wall. That is why it is not a laminated wall.
If you brows through trailers at a dealer you will see many with bulging panels on the rear walls.
So before you think you have a problem check and make sure this isn't what's going on with your trailer.
Good Luck and safe travels.

Oh, and btw I would be careful of sales people!
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 07:27 PM   #7
stanleyz

You got the reseal late. If it is delaminating it has been leaking for some time. Can you post a couple pics. Hard to tell what you have without seeing it. Im not familiar with your brand but if it is delaminating on the very rear u must not have an end cap. Ir it is not really bad and they did a good job sealing you may be OK tojudt keep on trucking. If you can find any still damp areas that you can grt heat on with an air dryer it would be helpful. Once it dries it is imlikely any further damage will occur. As far as i know the only way to repair it is to install new fiberglass panels and that will probably cost more than you would want to spend. Or you could do what the previous owners did put it up for sale and hope to find someone who wont notice the problem. If you want to know how much moisture there is in the wall find a tech with a moisture meter. If its dried and sealed you could just keep on using. Sorry to be so long hoe this is helpful.
Old 12-25-2018, 12:24 PM   #8
03Roadking

Is what you believe to be delamination on the rear cap or on a rear side panel? While delamination of the rear cap is not unheard of it isn't all that common. Bonded side wall panels is a different story. Take a coin, quarter or larger and tap on the area bulging and areas that are flat, if the bulging area has a dull sound compared to the flat area, it is indeed delaminated, if both areas sound the same it's most likely something inside that is pushing it out. Get back with more
information on just where the delam is.
03Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 04:23 PM   #9
Firstfiver

Bought my 2002 Coachmen last June. Salesman assured me that there was no water leakage. Found delamination a month later. On my way home from a 2 week trip found skin missing. I'm a DIYer but no experience with delam. Unit is aluminum side frame "Alumicage". I know I'll have to rip out all the old plywood, insulation, paneling etc. But how do I repair the skin. I need more input than "take it to a shop" please.
Firstfiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 04:25 PM   #10
Firstfiver

Delamination

Pics below (if they load).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16188674563271506726558592671150.jpg (182.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 04-19-2021, 05:04 PM   #11
Notanlines

First, another problem that rears it's ugly head is your mildew situation.
Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 05:51 PM   #12
Firstfiver

Figure I'll have to rip out all the mildewed wood, insulation, and paneling.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:36 PM   #13
stanleyz

Fiber glass is pretty easy to work with if the area isn’t too large. Are you delam on the side or the rear? How big is the area? You probably won’t know until you open it up. And thats the problem. It could turn out to beva really big repair. But, if it is not too big an area you will have to remove inside walls which are probably buckling anyway. Then remove the insulation and cut out the delamed section. At that point you start with some fiberglass fabric, epoxy and hardner and build an outer wall. Like I said if its a big area it will be a chore. Get some chicken wire or screen or some kind of fiber board to act as a form. You just start from the edges of whats left and form an outer wall. You mix thr chemicals use some cheap toss away paint brushes to wet the cloth and as it hardens it will turn to fiberglass. You just keep building until you have it formed thick enough to work. Then start sanding and sanding then prime and paint. Once that is done to your satisfaction replace insulation and inner wall board. The paint won’t look as good as gelcoat but if you work at it you can get something that looks pretty good from 20 ft. First thing is to go no line and look up repairing fiberglass or laying up fiberglasd and watch the videos. Hope this helps. Oh yeah stock up on acetone. It will clean your tools and hands.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:54 PM   #14
stanleyz

Thought I sent a long reply on my phone. If it don't show I'll try again
Old 04-19-2021, 06:59 PM   #15
stanleyz

Fiber glass is pretty easy to work with if the area isn’t too large. Are you delam on the side or the rear? How big is the area? You probably won’t know until you open it up. And thats the problem. It could turn out to be a really big repair. But, if it is not too big an area you will have to remove inside walls which are probably buckling anyway. Then remove the insulation and cut out the delamed section. At that point you start with some fiberglass fabric, epoxy and hardner and build an outer wall. Like I said if its a big area it will be a chore. Get some chicken wire or screen or some kind of fiber board to act as a form. You just start from the edges of fiberglass thats left and form an outer wall. You mix the chemicals use some cheap toss away paint brushes to wet the cloth and as it hardens it will turn to fiberglass. You just keep building until you have it formed thick enough to work. Then start sanding and sanding then prime and paint. Once that is done to your satisfaction replace insulation and inner wall board. The paint won’t look as good as gelcoat but if you work at it you can get something that looks pretty good from 20 ft. First thing is to go on line and look up repairing fiberglass or laying up fiberglass and watch the videos. Hope this helps. Oh yeah stock up on acetone. It will clean your tools and hands.
Old 04-19-2021, 07:13 PM   #16
Firstfiver

So you're suggesting repair it like fiberglassing a plywood boat? It's an area about 6 ft x 6 ft. I included a photo earlier in the post. I'd like the final to match the rest of the wall. Maybe get a body shop to mix and spray on a matching paint color?
Old 04-19-2021, 07:32 PM   #17
stanleyz

Six ft square, I've never done anything that big, see what you can find on line, maybe some thin plywood glassed over would work. An area that big will need some kind of support, is there a frame anywhere to attack to? I'm just kind of thinking out loud. I'm sure its doable it is just a big area. I've done boats where I feathered the edges of the good glass, made a backing of chicken wire and built from there. the first layer of glass you lay becomes the outer wall and then you go inside and build up for strength. Or you can lay the first layer on the inside and build out. Either was you will want several layers of cloth. As to matching the color good luck. If it's 18 years old it will be pretty hard to match even with the OR codes because of fading. You might try looking in to gel coat. I've never used it but it's sprayed on like paint. I've also been told there is some way to finish the outside using waxed paper and resin but you will have to look that one up. I've not done that just been told about it. Good luck and let us know how you come out. I love projects that seem undoable. It's kinda like a personal challange.lol
Old 04-20-2021, 07:59 PM   #18
stanleyz

Been thinking about your problem. I think if I had to repair an area that big I would look for someone that made fiberglass panels or go to an RV salvage yard and cut a panel out with a saws all or sabre saw. That would leave just glassing it in. I just cant imagine the time and glass cloth it would take to make a panel that big from scratch. Once you had the panel, feather the edges of the existing trailer glass and the glass on the panel and then glass in the gaps. That would be faster and easier then trying to lay up a big area. Just my thoughts.
Old 07-15-2021, 04:39 PM   #19
Firstfiver

Local RV repair shop told me the labor alone would exceed the blue book value of the camper, at $125/hr but he'd sell me materials. Filon panel online would be $350 ish plus plywood and glue. So planning to do it myself. Haven't found decals yet for this particular camper. Advise on doing the repair of getting decals?