Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2006, 03:15 PM   #1
pascaldemo

Just got one!

Just purchased a Jazz 2870UK. Let's get some dialog going on all the Jazz models so we can make our lives a little easier!

pascaldemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 08:07 AM   #2
CampingCaptain

Send a message via AIM to CampingCaptain Send a message via Yahoo to CampingCaptain
Pete,

Welcome to fifth wheel forums. I'm sure you've probably noticed that most of the posters on this forum post in the Mobile Suite section. I suggest you post a notice on all of the major RV chat boards and let people know of this new area and hopefully you'll find enough interested people to start an ongoing dialogue with as many postings as the MS owners have for info.

Again, welcome and good luck.

Vietnam Era Veteran
Proud parents of a US Marine
Retiring in 2007 and planning to go full-time
CampingCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 12:25 AM   #3
rd&gj

pascaldemo
My husband and I have been looking to buy a new 5th Wheel since we purchased our new diesel almost a year and a half ago. I have done a lot of research and found that we kept coming back to the Jazz by Thor.

I had found the 25 footer that I thought would suffice, but when we went to actually make the purchase today (63 miles away), it was gone. They had one other 25' in the Driftwood decor, but I had my heart set on the Oasis colors. I have done most of the foot work, informing my husband on everything I learned, but it was he that saw the 2870UK model and really liked the extra space. So tomorrow I call and try to swing a deal for the bigger unit. It's considered the Driftwood color scheme, although it is different than the colors in the only 2550RL they had (I'm confused )

We'd love to hear all about your new Jazz, even though I know all the features and amenities, needless to say every little knook and cranny. We are convinced that the Jazz is the coach for us. We would like to hear what it was that you decided on the Jazz, and specifically the 2870UK model. Some of the obvious reasons I think would be all the cabinetry in the kitchen (did you have concerns about a rear kitchen?) possibly the angle/corner shower ~ so much more space in the bedroom area (although a combination garden tub would have been nice) ~ or maybe having the swivel rockers, along with the hide-a-bed couch in the living area (not found in any 25 foot Jazz.) Or maybe you purchased one with a lounger instead. Did you happen acoss the UK model that has the wardrobe closets along the sides of the bed? Their brochure does not show the closets on this particular model, but I was happy to see they were in the one we are looking to buy.

We'd appreciate any information you can pass along. Look forward to hearing from you. gj
Pullrite Super Glide - under mount, 16K; Prodigy
rd&gj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:02 AM   #4
pascaldemo

rd & gj,

Sounds like you have really done your homework...you know more about the Jazz than I do.

We started seriously looking at 5th wheels about 6 months ago. Read all the books, talked to all the right people, joined all the right forums. Oddly enough Jazz was the very first one we looked at but held off purchasing because we felt we didn't know enought about 5th wheels to make a good decision. We also liked the Crossroads Cruiser and were going to buy it but decided to go back and look at the Jazz one more time. Well, needless to say we bought the Jazz! My wife (Debbie) just loved the inside because of the spacious U shaped kitchen, enoumous amount of storage, fabric (Forrest) and yes, the two closets on each side of the bed. She also liked the fact that it is 28 ft., she was a little nervous about pulling anything too big and the single slide out, nothing too heavy.

I liked it because of everything above and the way they finished the interior with care and attention to detail. Thor has been around since the 70's and have a fine reputation for quality and service. I spoke to the Service Manager and the Parts Manager and they both told me they love the way Thor response to their requests about parts and warranties issues (we opted for the 7 year extended warranty). We bought it from Stier's RV in Ventura, CA which is about 30 minutes from us. I also like the fact they are affiliated with Freedom Roads which has 100's for facilities across the U.S. and Canada.

We are going on our Maiden Voyage next week for about 4 days to Casitas Lake in Ojai, not too far away for the first one... I will post the outcome of that when we return.

Good luck on your decision and let us all know about it when you do.
Pete DeMatteo
Old 04-12-2006, 01:36 AM   #5
rd&gj

Pete (& Debbie)
So glad to receive your response....after all, if it weren't for you, dialog may have never got started. I've checked out many forums but was pleasantly surprised to find the ‘5th Wheel Forums’, especially to see someone took the initiative to request specific to the Jazz. And then of all things, to read that someone has just purchased the same model we had decided on.

Yes ~ we did it too! We traveled the 63 miles back to the dealer last weekend and cut a deal - and I think a pretty good one. We still need to get a few things in order ~ just figuring all the particulars and taking our time. Our actual pick-up date for the coach was the 5th of May, although, with only a few days since the agreement, that has already changed to the 29th of this month.

We wanted to know and see all the costs. We've always intended to have the sprayed-in bed liner applied to our pickup, so arrangements for that is in order. I did a lot of research on the Pullrite hitch and knew that was the one for us, even though the price was quite steep. Rather than have the dealer install our hitch (which we found out later, they don't actually do it anyway) we are having it done locally and for quite a bit less. I've gotten a quote for insurance, queried DMV for an estimate on registration and have an appointment with our credit union tomorrow, so all is coming together as planned.

We attended the RV show in our area in January and received a quote on the 25 footer I mentioned. We continued to look around and even checked all the RV sales in Vegas when we went to visit our son at Nellis. It was that quote that we were able to use as leverage, trying to get the best deal and wanting to purchase closer to home for future service/warranty work. However, I feel we must have hit our local dealer (again!) at just the right time, as we were able to get the 2870UK at only $500.00 more than the original quote for the 25’er in Jan. It was my husband that said he didn’t want to pull a house, so needless to say, I was quite surprised when he said he was more interested in the bigger unit. Although, I totally agree....it’s not too big or heavy compared to so many others. But believe me, this will be a big switch from our popup pulled by a Mazda truck. I, too, love the U-shaped kitchen with all the counter and cabinet space. The Forrest color scheme would have been my choice had it been available, as it is the only one I liked of the three new colors. Ours is called Expresso ~ not Driftwood as posted in the window. I consider it muted in color, but have lots of plans to liven it up

It was good to hear Thor has a reputation of standing behind their product; I feel the ‘attention to detail’ that you spoke of is a great start. It was that reason we continued to go back to the Jazz. And it lies in the responsibility of the owner to maintain the up-keep as well.

I do have one question.....do you know if there is anything we may have to do to either the Pullrite hitch or kingpin? As you can tell, we haven’t dealt with either before and only hope once the hitch is installed it’s only a matter of connecting and taking off. I have read or heard that some may need to get extended pins. I’m sure with a 2004 vehicle and a current year trailer (which has size 16 tires), that shouldn’t apply to us. I hope I'm making sense.

I’m not sure where Casitas Lake is, but I am sure you both will have a wonderful time. I hope to make reservations for the weekend before Memorial Day at a nearby RV resort for our first time out. We have to re-situate our back yard in order to park the new trailer – the fence has to come down and back up with new gates, sprinkler system and retainer wall moved, etc., etc. So as you can tell, we have much to do to prepare for our little home on wheels. I’m grateful they have allowed us the extra time before we bring ‘er home.

Have a great day!! gj
Old 04-12-2006, 07:45 PM   #6
pascaldemo

Rd & GJ,
Congratulations!!! I'm sure you will love your new Jazz as much as we do!

The Jazz doesn't come with an extended pin, it actually sets a little behind the end of the 5th wheel plus my Dodge Ram has a short bed...that's why we elected to go with the PullRite Super Glide with Slider...I also have a tool box in the bed as well. As mentioned previously we are taking it on our Maiden Voyage next week for the real test but I don't expect any surprises in terms of turning capabilities. I have tested it by hand and there doesn't seem to be any problems, plus I went over this extensively with the person who installed the hitch who has been doing installations for 25 years. You will have to install a plate to the pin system which comes with the PullRite when you order it, mine was bolted and then welded on by the dealer.

Good idea on the spray on bed liner. I had mine done also which makes for a much nicer and more secure hitch installation.

Lake Casitas in located in Ojai, CA, about 45 minutes from us and have plans to camp at Lake Cachuma (about 30 minutes away) & Jalama Beach (about an hour away)...can't wait!

Hope everything is working out well for you, keep us all posted (all?).
Pete & Deb
Old 04-21-2006, 05:12 PM   #7
rd&gj

Pete & Deb ~ Greetings
Hope you had a great time on your Maiden Voyage. Love to hear how much you enjoyed the new Jazz and hopefully no problems. We haven't taken possession of our new trailer, but all is coming together and we're getting there.

Because you have the Pullrite Superglide, I was hoping I could get your opinion. Since we're having our hitch installed locally, we will need to take the plate that attaches to the kingpin to the dealer for installation. Are you familiar with the installation of this plate? Is it a difficult/easy procedure? We are chosing to just have it bolted at this point in time. The dealer is now saying there would be an additional charge for them to put the plate on the new trailer we are purchasing from them. I can't hardly believe it would be more than merely bolting it in place and in order for us to haul the trailer, we'd have to have this done (isn't that a given!) In my own mind, I would think it would have to have some 'torque' behind it, so obviously it wouldn't be secure enough for one to just 'bolt' it by hand. I'm frustrated with the threat of additional charges and think of it as a simple 5 or 10 minute procedure and a little juice from a power tool.

Appreciate if you could let me know if there is more involved than what I realize. We just don't want to get 'taken'.

Can't wait for this to all be over with and we're on the road. JW
Old 04-25-2006, 10:02 AM   #8
pascaldemo

RD & GB,
Our 5 day Maiden Voyage went very smooth. Since this is our very first time we both took our time in setting everything up, very slow, methodical moves. Deb set up everything inside and I set up everything outside. When we tore down to leave, Deb showed me what she had learned on the inside when storing and Deb and I both broke down the Jazz on the outside. I was expecting to have some problems but there were absolutley none! We used every appliance and feature in the Jazz and everything worked perfectly.

Regarding the Pullrite! I purchased it from another dealer and had the same issue of having the Jazz dealer install the cover on the Pin System. The Service Manager insisted on not only bolting the unit on but actually welding it also...all at no charge. We also had him install a bubble level on the Pin System which we purchased from him and he installed it at no charge.

Just so you can put things in perspective we paid $30,000 after all the negotiations...before tax!

Hope everything works out for you and you can get on the road to bliss.
Pete & Deb
Old 06-04-2006, 10:49 PM   #9
JazzMan

Add Another 2870UK Owner Here!

Hello all!!! Hi from Calgary, Alberta, Canada!

Purchased a jazz 2870UK on May 8, 06. I love this unit!!! I am an RV mechanic and went over the unit with a fine tooth comb. I couldn't find one problem! Nothing!

I've spent the last two weeks doing all the mods and add-ons I had in our last Trail-Lite 27' conventional trailer.

4 - 100 watt solar panels, 1500 watt inverter and 4 - 6 volt batteries, and slide topper. Also, Shurflo Smartsensor pump and so many other things, that I forget. We have had the unit out for three nights and found absolutely no problems. Tows like a dream!

Heading to Grand Teton NP, Utah, Moab and Zion in June/July. Really looking forward to it!!!

Love to see more Jazz owners on here and help to build the membership!

Tony
Old 06-09-2006, 10:07 AM   #10
pascaldemo

Tony,
Congrats on the new Jazz, we love ours also! Wow, you have done alot of upgrades already, knowing what you are doing makes a big difference. Even though we did extensive research before buying our Jazz it's always nice to see someone in the industry purchase the same unit. Sounds like you have some great spots picked out to visit. Have fun and please come back and let us know how your trip(s) went.
Pete
Old 06-09-2006, 08:01 PM   #11
JazzMan

Hi Pete. Thanks, it's good to have a site to share the RV experience and help one another.

Have you thought about a slide topper? They are really a great add-on. I highly recommend one to all my customers. Helps keep the leaves, snow, water and junk off the slide. I think they are about $250US. Camping World put them on. Not too hard though, simple hand tools and follow the instructions.

Yes, looking forward to the upcoming trip. I will try and post some pics and also of the truck/trailer and the mods. If you ever need some RV service/repair advice, just hollar! You can also email me at thomasth@telus.net.

Cheers Pete!

Tony
Old 06-19-2006, 07:56 AM   #12
loosefoot

Just took out our new 2006 JAZZ 2760 for a dry run before the 1700 mile road trip. All worked as advertised. Plent of room and storage space. Bought ours at Stiers in Ventura. Good service and pleasant personnel. Will post pix later after our road trip.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:20 AM   #13
pascaldemo

loosefoot,

Congratulations on your new Jazz.

We purchased our Jazz at Stier's RV in Ventura also.

Looking forward to viewing your photos when you return.

Thanks for joining.

Pete
Old 07-03-2006, 08:52 AM   #14
loosefoot

Road Trip

Had a good Road Trip with the JAZZ . 1800 miles and no problems except for the heat in Nevada and Arizona . Attached is a pix of the rig .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kr_jazz_403.jpg (47.0 KB, 37 views)