Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2011, 12:24 PM   #1
RonS

Window draft

I have the dual paned windows, but cold air still comig in around some of the windows. Anyone have ideas to keep out the cold wind?????????

06 MS 36TK3 #2473 w/(Phase II)side to side levelers, Trailair pin box w/Tri-Glide plate.
2011 Dodge 3500 CC 4x4 Diesel DRW Power Tuner guages etc
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:29 PM   #2
chevman

Re: Window draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS
I have the dual paned windows, but cold air still comig in around some of the windows. Anyone have ideas to keep out the cold wind?????????

You could plug the weep holes in the window frames.
chevman

Old 12-05-2011, 07:16 PM   #3
Motorcycle Jack

Why not see if you can get one of the infrared reading thermometers and find out where the cold ingress spot is? I would then either seal around the window with some expanding foam - if that's the leak area. Or find out if the window has blown the seal between inside and out glass. I doubt the weep hole is the problem as the weep hole doesn't exist on my themo-paned windows. I do get some cold coming off the glass but no breeze.
Motorcycle Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:30 AM   #4
Cheif 2

Do you feel air blowing in or just cold? I get considerable cold transfer from the metal frames.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:43 AM   #5
Motor31

Look for a gap in the area where the sliding windows mate together. Mine tend to leak air in the upper seam between the fixed upper and lower windows.

Keep in mind that the R value of even the dual pane windows is pretty small. That quarter inch gap doesn't stop much temperature transfer.

If you are getting air flow around the frame area then you will need to pull the window and put window putty where the outside frame mates to the side of the wall. On mine one of the slide windows had putty installed but the fine amish craftsman put it on the inside edge of the frame where it did not mate to anything. As a result when it rained I had a water wall on the inside of the slide out next to the recliner.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:57 AM   #6
hitchup

We switched out our day/night RV shades for residential dual-cellular shades. Because of window knobs, they don't hang securely, but I let them hang lower to keep cold going down.

Then we have lined or insulated curtains, that hang on a tension rod inside the box valances. Some curtains I made, some store-bought, that when closed, help keep the cold out in winter and intense heat/sun in the summer.

Not a perfect system, but definitely helps. I especially notice it when sitting next to an exposed window. Big difference in comfort level and privacy.

Vickie

Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote