Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2018, 04:11 PM   #1
Goaltender1

What GPS to Consider?

I've been researching RV GPS units and the reviews are all over the map (pun intended). Is there a specific unit that you would recommend and why?
Thanks for your input.

Goaltender1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:35 PM   #2
wingnut60
Site Team

I only use the built-in one in my Ford--has a lot of problems, but usable. Seems like everyone of the GPS programs has some downside, or just doesn't deliver to individual needs.
Using 2 identical iPhones next to each other and one on Google Maps and one on Apple Maps--neither one is identical for planning to get from A to B or worse--Z. And both have mistakes.
Good luck with any choice you make.

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:20 AM   #3
Notanlines

Goaltender, we use the Garmin 760 RV GPS and find it satisfactory. Truthfully, the screen is a little big. It is mounted to the windshield and it is bigger than our other Garmins. We also use Google Maps, but have found Apple maps lacking for some reason or other. Also when you lose cell service it will blank out on you when the cell service goes away.
Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:12 PM   #4
ewacowboy

We also have the Garmin 760RV....love it! Love the large screen for our old eyes . With this unit we just entered our total length and height and it routes us as necessary. Saved us a couple of times. When not towing the RV we change to the "auto" mode. Highly recommend.
ewacowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:53 PM   #5
2 DA WDS

I have 3 apps on my phone I use microsoft maps and Waze if the route is going to be all interstates. I also have Co-Pilot RV I use for when Im towing and might get off the interstate. You can enter your weight, length and height. The ease of selecting a destination is not the easiest thing with Co-Pilot but it has always identified low clearances and avoided them. Even once in Casa Grande when 1 direction under an overpass was 6' 3" and the other was 6' 7". I had the Good Sam RV and it couldnt find campgrounds and it quit working after a year. And it had a habit of routing you out of the best way and taking you over dams that you were over weight for.
2011 RAM Cummins 3500 Dually
2 DA WDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:16 AM   #6
Rooh9699

I downloaded the SYGIC TRUCK Android app for my Samsung S-8. The app lets you put in the dimensions of the rig prior to doing any navigation. I've pulled from ATL to Gullfport, MS. and some local pulls and have had no problems with it so far.

I use this because I didn't want another "thing" to manage...having on the phone is fast and easy. I also loaded it on a 10" Samsung note so the wife can monitor with me.

I like the idea of the connected device which is constantly updated with an internet connection.

So far so good. Will let you know if we have any problems with it.

Cheers!

dave
Rooh9699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:11 PM   #7
Barry

I had a Garmin 760 but upgraded to a Garmin RV 890. It is s huge improvement over the RV 760. It will keep you off roads with low underpasses and low bridge weight limits. It shows warnings for lots of hazards, even upcoming steep grades. Really good GPS. Love it.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 06:50 PM   #8
Gamma

Sygic truck worked for me. Went from Ct to UT, CO and a sifferent route back with no issues. We are at 13-6 high and sygic allows you to input that info. I understand it will be android auto compatible very soon, that will be the best feature yet. One less screen to have in the truck.

Gamma is offline   Reply With Quote