Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2017, 01:12 PM   #1
ejeltes

Axle

I am wondering if anyone has had or is having axle problems. On our way from Florida to Indiana our right leaf spring disintegrated from under our unit. The maker of the axle is LCI. We are getting the run around from our purchasing place. We have been stranded in Indiana for the past 6weeks since our unit is untowable. I would welcome any advise.

ejeltes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 02:05 PM   #2
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
There are times in life where it is easier to just bite the bullet and hire a spring company to replace the broken spring, keep the old one for show and tell and get on with your life. Your going to open the wallet and get yourself back into the "normal life" your used to. You don't say what age your rig is but broken spring leafs, or broken purches is not so unusual that most of us seasoned travelers have not hear of it before. I always kept 1 extra spring pack in the bay for that just in case I ever snapped a spring. Never used it well over 50,000 miles of travel, but was so much easier to have one when I needed it.

1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 02:12 PM   #3
ejeltes

Thanks for the info about keeping an extra in the bay. This was our first trip out with this unit. Unfortunately our unit was only 10 month old at the time. When the spring disintegrated the back of the trailer started pulling to the right. I happened to be driving another vehicle and noticed in my rear view mirror. It burned up the brakes and also destroyed my tires. It is nice to hear from other more seasoned travelers.
ejeltes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 02:22 PM   #4
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Are you sitting in a parking lot, or rv dealer? Did the spring break, or the mounting point at the end of the spring fail? Have you contacted your insurance company? It could have failed from a pot hole in the road making it a accident claim.
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote