Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2010, 07:55 PM   #61
wingnut60
Site Team

peninsula vs island

Just for another opinion: we got our TK3 in '07--2 years old. Have had it for 3 years now and just had the peninsula changed to an island at Indiana Interstate. My wife and I really like the ability to go thru the kitchen in 2 areas now.
Your call, of course.
Joe

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:47 PM   #62
terry and jo

Well, this of course falls into the "two cents" worth category, but if you are going to eliminate the desk anyway, why not have the longer island like Delaine and Lindy (The View) have in theirs?

We wanted the desk, so the peninsula just extends the area of where we can place things in the desk and on the kitchen countertop. For instance, we may need to occasionally set a printer up there.

I will say that with the peninsula, if you need to reach the electrical outlet that is back behind that "roll-up" door on the cabinet, it is a good stretch with the peninsula in the way. If you had just an island, that area would be much easier to get into. I'm 5'8" tall, and I can barely reach that outlet from behind the peninsula. One can't at all reach it from the desk side of the counter.

As you can see in the photo, we elected to order the oven. Some things are just better if cooked over a long period of time. Jo's roasts just fall apart with a fork, oh, and beans. And cornbread. Damn, Jo's a good cook.

Terry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc_6404_131.jpg (102.0 KB, 185 views)

2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:40 AM   #63
hitchup

DRV will change many little things from year to year or even during a model year. It's hard to know when changes are made.

Terry is right about the plugs being easier to reach on the Island. You can add one to the right of the drawer unit if you get an extended Island. It would mirror the one on the garbage end. I just didn't think about it when we ordered, since I wasn't sure where plugs would be located.

We love the larger living area. It's especially good when we get a crowd visiting. The kitchen is more than adequate. We eliminated the gas oven, because I use the GE micro/convection or a Flavorwave oven for meals. Thanksgiving David did a great job with on a 10 lb turkey in GE M/C. Cooked in the Turkey bag and it fell off the bone.

A couple of older kitchen pics attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4119_208.jpg (36.7 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg 4118_199.jpg (36.0 KB, 169 views)
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:59 AM   #64
Beachgirl

Terry and Jo:
The pix was great. What I am planning to do is have an extra outlet installed just below the counter, but to the left of the double doors, on the outside facing into the kitchen.

I know this is not the most practical choice, but dh and I just love the look of the peninsula. So we're going to go with that.

Now we are down to our last big decision: smaller 36TK kitchen, or smaller 36 TK living area/entertainment. Right now we are leaning towards the larger living since we also want the HiLo table.

Vickie and David:

Thank you so much for the photo of the large entertainment center. Now can I be a pest and ask you to share a photo of the whole shebang, top and bottom? Right now we are leaning towards the larger living room on the 38. I know you guys have the island so I won't get the effect of that solid wall next to it. But I'll be able to see how much floor space I gain. Thank you in advance!

If you guys think of other mods, fire away.
So far:
* 2 shelves in the w/d closet only on the left side, rt side left open
* Queen bed w/ 2 nitestands
* w/d prep in basement, but not in closet
* delete oven, drawers in place of
* 2 15k a/c w/ heat pump
* Trailair suspension only
* LP Quick disconnect for outside grill
* delete carpet as much as possible
* 2 extra shelves for pantry
* 1 extra shelf in linen closet
* Instant Hot water to left of kitchen faucet
* SeeLevel gauges
* Tankless Hot water (PrecisionTemp)
* Second dvd player prep in bdrm
* Delete bath window, replace w/ larger mirrored cabinet
* Extra outlet on outside of peninsula to left of cab doors, near top
* Delete recliners, will drop ship LaZBoys

I didn't list options, just mods.

Is one shelf extra enough in the bathroom linen?
Beachgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:52 AM   #65
hitchup

We added 3 shelves in bottom of linen closet and none on top. Not sure how many we added in the pantry. But the 2011's are deeper than our 2009. So you'll have more room than ours.

Just a thought: if you add w/d prep in closet, too, it will give you the opportunity to add an all-in-one unit or washer only without much effort. You may eventually find you miss having onboard laundry with kids. You'll like the dual plugs and drain and faucets are high, so you could box those in maybe with a false wall attached to the shelves on the left.

Had to "clean" house for photo, but if you ignore the clutter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg small_181.jpg (9.2 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg small4_170.jpg (8.9 KB, 143 views)
Old 12-15-2010, 04:46 PM   #66
RGordon

All your items look good but the basement washer & dryer prep. This would be a waste of valuable space and would require you to make trips outside just to do laundry, such as days when raining. Better to do it in the bedroom so you can lay your closes on the bed. I can tell you are not getting it for fulltiming or extended stays. Our stacked washer & dryer is the best option we have. We went with the power king bed upgrade with memory foam mattress, which we like very much. We regretted not getting the heat pump in bedroom option. Good luck on your selection.
2007 Mobile Suite 38RL3 #3698
RGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:17 PM   #67
terry and jo

Beachgirl may not be going with the washer and dryer because with the number of people in their family, the compact washers and dryers might not keep up with their clothes. Unless she was willing to wash and dry practically all the time.

My understanding is they plan on traveling with at least four kids. Unless I read things wrong. That very well could be my problem.

Terry
Terry's Smugmug Site
Old 12-15-2010, 10:53 PM   #68
Beachgirl

Well, it reminds me of the joke when people hear we have ten kids...."we know what you've been doing"...and I usually reply, " yeah, laundry!

This is our 4th RV purchase...and I would rather use the laundry at the campground and get everything done at once, or do it at whomsever's home I am visiting. We just didn't want the pipes et al showing in the closet, but we did want to leave the prep nearby in case we ever changed our minds. I think I must have confused RGordon into thinking I was prepping for laundry IN the basement. Instead of just tidying up my closet w/o completely doing away with future in-the-closet capabilities.

We actually are getting this for extended stays.

I ordered our Suite!! After much deliberation, we decided to go with the RSSB3. As much as I loved the TK, I had ears to hear those who had purchased one, and then traded/ altered to the island. The voices of experience resounded in my ears.

I did change the drawers under the appliance garage to doors w/ 3 adjustable shelves. I plan to use this as a mini pantry. I also ordered 2 adjustable shelves for the cabinet at the end of the island near the living room.

I think the RSSB3 lets me have my cake and eat it too. I get the extra counter to the left of the stove, and more living space in the living room, w/o sacrificing cabinet/counter space. I still think the TK has more charm.

All of the photos and commentary helped me so immensely. I just can't thank y'all enough for all the time and trouble you took.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:42 AM   #69
terry and jo

Well, for a thread that was started by Mike2338 (I think), this one has turned out to be helpful for more than one family that has been looking at DRV products.

We haven't heard much from Mike, but I'm assuming that they have ordered their coach as well. Now, we hear that Beachgirl has ordered hers.

All well and good, and I'm hopeful that we have all served to be wise counsel to the decisions of both of you. With all being said, I now have a new question, but it will be for a different thread since it is primarily about TrailSaver fifth wheel hitches.

Good luck to both families with your new coaches (when you get them). While we have had a few problems with ours, I am still glad that we bought a Mobile Suites.

Terry
Terry's Smugmug Site
Old 12-16-2010, 07:01 AM   #70
Gemstone

"Queen bed w/ 2 nitestands"

Have you considered deleting the factory bedding...their standard mattress is really junk.

"w/d prep in basement, but not in closet"

I would agree with the "prep" in the basement, that is where I had ours moved, not the appliances, just the hookups. I couldn't figure out why they engineered hookups behind the W/D location, where you could not reach them in case of a water emergency...may work for the combo machine, or the stacked unit like Sears sells, but not in our case, using stacked Whirlpool separates.

Regards
Gemstone
Old 12-16-2010, 09:59 AM   #71
Beachgirl

I didn't delete the mattress, but I did delete the rest of the bedding.

Not sure how much it saves deleting the mattress.

We are considering the black appliances, which is also causing us to consider the granite. The weight of that is daunting. However, I did find this:

http://www.flexstone.com/rv_manufact...raniteLite.htm
Old 12-16-2010, 01:13 PM   #72
hitchup

The mattress will be fine for the time you use it. Getting a standard Qn will allow you to upgrade anytime in the future.

We had Black appliances in our 2006 Elite. That was one of the reasons we started with a Mobile Suite. Unless Dometic has changed, the black fridge gets dents and scratches and shows fingerprints faster than the SS. Plus I didn't like a slick Blk M/C oven.

The granite was nicer in the Elite, but we thought we would try solid surface. It shows scratches and gets dull, too, no matter how much I clean it. Now they are using Corian, which would be an upgrade from ours.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:55 PM   #73
Beachgirl

Thank you for your reply!

Yes, I just did the std Queen...probbaly put on a foam topper/ mattress cover at first, and see how it goes.

I went ahead and ordered the SS in the kitchen. We actually considered the granite, but the lack of sink covers nixed that. Not to mention the weight and cost! They said the weight was about 650 lbs more, and cost was somewheres near $1700. Eeeks!

I suppose either one of those fridges is going to show finferprints and dings. Sigh. I think I will miss the wood cabinet fridge that I had on my Sunnybrook.

I still feel good about getting the island- that's progress! LOL
Old 12-16-2010, 07:52 PM   #74
bstark

Congrats Beachgirl; you've carefully considered every angle and option and that's the way to get the most happiness out of one of these. Even if you later change your mind on how something is working out, you at least considered your choice rather than simply living with however the factory would have optioned it up.

Stubbing off the plumbing to the washer/dryer makes perfect sense for a later change of circumstances in your washin/drying protocols.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:58 PM   #75
golf_bears

Beachgirl,

Just a suggestion on the fridge. Wifee did not like the SS fridge so she called DRV and they put in the fridge with the oak panels on the doors.

We have a 2008 MS with the standard two door fridge. If you want the oak panel fridge doors give DRV a call, they may be able to accommodate you.
golf_bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:00 AM   #76
Beachgirl

I googled the 4 door fridges...they seem to only come in SS or black panels. But it was worth a try, lol. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:38 PM   #77
Gemstone

"Not sure how much it saves deleting the mattress."

IMO, it's more about quality than $$$, but just the same, going with the factory mattress would be like throwing a couple of hundred $$$ bills out the window. We didn't sleep on a junk mattress on the farm, and saw no reason to skimp when it came time for the RV....after all, we are told we spend 1/3 of our lives in bed. :lol:

Regards
Gemstone