Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2006, 10:42 AM   #1
fishwitch44

NEED HELP WITH PIN BOX

Ok..Here is the problem ..I just bought a 2001 Coachmen Royal Deluxe.RK32..It came with a straight pin box..The problem is the dealer didn't tell me I would need an extended pin box or slider..This being my 1st one I really didnt pay to much attention until pulling it home when I turned in to get gas the front kissed my cab..No damage..I am pulling with an 01 F-250 super duty crew with a Triton V-10 so I have the 6 1/2 ft box....I have tried numerous dealers trying to find an extended pin box with no luck..Coachmen tells me they dont recommend putting one on because it may bend the frame..I have looked at the pullrite hitch superslide and this looks like it may work but when I look close at the video on their site I notice the 5er they are using has an extended pin box..Did anyone else have this problem or am I just out of luck and have to sell this 5er or buy a differnt truck with an 8ft box..Any and all replys will be appreciated..Thank you in advance..Bob

fishwitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 04:05 PM   #2
cwsoules

I think you will need a sliding hitch. I have a long bed so do not have your problem. There are alot of folks with short bed trucks pulling 5ers without a slider, but they have to watch the turns very carefuly to avoid damage to truck or trailer.

2000 Quad Cab 2500 Auto w/4:10 rear end. DTT 89% VB, TC, Mag HI-TECK Pan, Smart Box, EZ, PAC Brake, Pillar gage mount with EGT, Boost, and Tranny output temp, Miller Manufacturing Truck Bed Cover, with RBW 5er hitch, and
Rigged to tow a 29' Automate 5th wheel.
cwsoules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 05:54 PM   #3
Hobo

If you have a sliding hitch you don't need the exstended pinbox. On the standard 8'W trailer you only need to be 4'+ back with the center of the hitch. If you have a wide body then 4' 4" or so. Go to a dealer with a modle hitch where you will be able to see how much the slide moves the hitch back from center axle and you will be able to do the math yourself.
Rick
Lemon Tree 04 MS 36TK3 #0886
Hughes Net
Fulltimer since 1999
Find me at https://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=2000
Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:53 PM   #4
bstark

Bob: Rick has given you the basic idea about the distance from the center of your pin to the outside corner of your 5'er and if that is greater than (it obviously is) the distance from the center of the hole in your hitch to the back of your cab then you have to gain some clearance.

I would go so far as to say that Rick is also on the right track by suggesting You should require a slider hitch ONLY. The extended Pin-boxes are primarily intended to give you better clearance between the front of your trailer downdrop and the rear bumper or top rear corners of your trucks box.

If you do not have a clearance issue between the rear of your truck and the front downdrop face of the trailer then I would also suggest just the slider hitch. Combining an extended pin-box and a slider hitch can even cause some interferance with either the tailgate or the inside top edges of your trucks box when you slide the hitch to it's rearward positon you may infact allow the rear edges of your pin-box to come into contact with the tailgate or box sides when turning.

Carpenter's have a saying: "measure twice, cut once". In this instance "measure twice, prevent repair"!
Old 09-27-2006, 07:42 AM   #5
fishwitch44

Thank you for the reply..The following link is what I went with..So far so good....
http://www.popuphitch.com/RV5.htm
fishwitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote