Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2006, 05:59 PM   #1
Jim n Iowa

2006 1 ton ram

I am seriously ready to buy this for a tow vehicle. Quad cab diesel,4x4, srw,sb, jake brake,auto. What gages are recommended, brake controller, etc. I would be a first timer with a 5th wheel. We are seriously concerned about the weight of some 5 ver's, so are looking at 29-31ft models. We plan on traveling the mountain areas, Yellowstone,Tetons, and Alaska. So I ask this board for your input.
Thanks
Jim

Jim n Iowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:51 PM   #2
The Mad Norsky

Ideas for You

That sounds like a good rig.

I don't have these (yet) but, since I also run a diesel, I am going to get a set of gauges which will include an EGT (exhaust gas temp) gauge for sure. Folks with knowledge state it is important to keep the EGT under 1200 degrees, which could easily happen pulling in hills or mountains. I have been lead to believe the vanes in the turbo can be damaged by excessive heat.

I use a Prodigy brake controller. Simple, and effective.

The Mad Norsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 12:34 AM   #3
cwsoules

Get three gages exhaust gas temperature, transmission tempature, and turbo charger pressure. Mine are mounted on the drivers door post where I can see them with ease. I recommend check out dieseltrans.com, the DTT site, they have for your truck. My Dodge diesel with an auto tranny has been modified with the DTT valve body, torque converter and smart box. This allows me to set the points where my transmission will lock up in 2nd, 3rd and OD. For example when in 3rd the tranny will stay locked up in 3rd between 28 and 57 mph. This keeps the tranny out of OD until the engine rpm is high on the torque curve, and when slowing down it allows my exhaust brake to be very effective in controlling down hill speed. If you have questions call DTT and they will help.
2000 Quad Cab 2500 Auto w/4:10 rear end. DTT 89% VB, TC, Mag HI-TECK Pan, Smart Box, EZ, PAC Brake, Pillar gage mount with EGT, Boost, and Tranny output temp, Miller Manufacturing Truck Bed Cover, with RBW 5er hitch, and
Rigged to tow a 29' Automate 5th wheel.
cwsoules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 03:45 PM   #4
puller

We have a tow rig much like you are looking at. 2006 3500 ram dually, CTD, auto with the Jake brake. GREAT pulling truck. I installed 3 gauges on the driver piller(yes you do loose your grab handle). Boost, Exhaust gas temp, and tranny temp. You won't be dissapointed in the performance. We pull a Landmark/Golden Gate 36 foot, the combined weight of the truck and trailer is 22,400 lbs. this is ready to camp taken at the CAT scales.

Puller
puller is offline   Reply With Quote