Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2006, 01:14 PM   #1
glav

Fiberglass and Rubber Adhesive

Hello to all and Happy New Year!! I have a question for the group.

I am looking for a good adhesive to seal Rubber gasket to a fiberglass slide out. Unfortunately my trailer has a exterior rubber gasket that is attached over the edge of the slide out and goes all around the circumference of the slide. I had to replace the rubber gasket now three times (very poor design). I have used silicon rubber sealant and adhesives. They do not work! The bond to the rubber will not hold. After a very short time the seal breaks down and comes apart. I once found some butyl rubber compound in a tube and that stuff really worked good. But the problem is that I cannot find that material any more. I have attached some pictures of the latest attempt to secure the rubber gasket, but I am not optomistic this will hold up for very long. So if anybody has a good adhesive I would appreciate it very much if you share that infomation with me.
Thanks
Gene
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rubber_gasket_on_slideout_131.jpg (13.7 KB, 119 views)

Gene
glav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 10:28 PM   #2
MarineChief

Have you looked for and tried a Butyl Rubber compound. The composition would be similar to that used on an EPDM (rubber) roof. I have not tried this myself, but the idea that you are trying to bond rubber would make a rubber sealer (such as butyl) feasible.

As a disclaimer - I am NOT a tech but would definitely try the use of a butyl compound should my seals loosen. I would probably try the addition of pop rivets should there be room to place them between existing locations and NOT interfere with the closed position.

Good luck with where ever YOUR decision guides you !

MarineChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 01:35 AM   #3
MDTdriver

Gasket repair

I had rubber gasket on the inside edge on three sides of my slides on my last 5er. One piece came lose at about 1 year, I tried reg. silicon adhesives. They did not hold, so I went to a auto store and bought auto rubber silicon adhesive and that stay on for 3 years untell I sold it. I have used it several times on other things on my 5er with same success I have gone though several tubes over the last 6 years.

Larry & Kathy plus Mojo
Fulltime June 2000 SK#82498
Our Home is Where we Park IT
International 4700 Low Profile 530 power:Full Air Ride
Prowler Regal AX6 :Trail Air pin box/spring over axle: Verizon internet: 2 Verizon cell phone
MDTdriver is offline   Reply With Quote