Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2015, 08:44 PM   #1
HOWITTRO

Factory Price of DRV Mobile Suites

I have been told by a few recent buyers that they were able to get pricing at 30% off MSRP. I have been told that the base price without options is about $100,000 and the dealer cost is about $71,999.00 for the base. Options can add up to another $20,000 or so. Can anyone comment on your strategy to get the best price possible price on your unit and what type of strategy, research and information did you present to your dealer to make them understand you were serious about getting the lowest price possible. Thank you for helping as we are looking to buy in the fall
Bob

HOWITTRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:09 PM   #2
Snidely Whiplash

Bob, I bought my 2012 new for better than 30% off MSRP. I special ordered exactly what I wanted and really didn't negotiate all that much. I was willing to put down 10% of agreed upon price as a deposit and let them know that while negotiating. I bought from a dealer VERY close to the factory so I saved in delivery costs.

I don't mean to bad-mouth anyone, but I see some of the prices listed and paid for the most highly regarded dealership on the forum and I'm dumbfounded at how much people will overpay for an RV because the dealership owners are nice to them. When I buy I don't care how nice the dealer is to me, I want the best price, period.

Snidely Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:38 PM   #3
HOWITTRO

I really appreciate your reply. Do the factory prices above seem reasonable to you and did consider RVs for Less with your quotes
Thanks a
Bob
Old 06-11-2015, 10:21 PM   #4
Snidely Whiplash

I don't know about the prices you've listed above. It doesn't really matter for my purposes, and really shouldn't for you either.

You want to focus on the build and options you want, determine the MSRP for your unit, and deduct a minimum of 30%. I would shoot for slightly more of a discount if I was not trading a coach and even more if the dealer were ordering the unit and didn't have to factor any interest (floor plan expense) for a unit sitting on their lot. Maybe around 35% if both of those were relevant factors. I also would seek prices on the build I wanted from several dealers and then I would negotiate with the top 2 or 3 low "bids". I would do what I had to in order to convince them I was a serious buyer - I explained I was willing to put down a 10% cash deposit at the time the order was finalized and placed with the manufacturer (or more if they would pay me a moderate rate of interest). And make sure when you're negotiating, you want nothing from them but the final out the door price - no changes or surprises later, and when you make a deal you want that final price in writing.

When I bought, I didn't concern myself with buying from a local dealer. That may be important to some but I wanted the best price, period. I full-time in my unit so a "local" dealer wouldn't be local anymore immediately upon my purchase so it didn't matter. Also, if your not full-time, you have to figure things only break when you use them, so odds are you'll have problems requiring dealer service when you are away on a trip, traveling, vacation, etc. so the local dealer service argument didn't work for me.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:40 PM   #5
HOWITTRO

Wow thanks so much. There is nothing better than speaking to someone who has been there and done it. I will let you know how I make out
Thank you again
Bob
Old 06-12-2015, 06:12 PM   #6
Cummins12V98

I would suggest Alicia at Rolling Retreats, we drove from WA State to Oklahoma just to order a MS from her. She had many good suggestions we did not think of and made working with her well worth it!
2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 06:43 PM   #7
Snidely Whiplash

^^^^^^^^^ Case in point.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:16 AM   #8
HOWITTRO

Thank you again. I received a price from RVs for Less over the internet but it was not priced as sharp as the formula you referenced above. Were you happy with your price from Alicia and did you feel it was the best from the dealers you contacted? I am on side with you in terms of selecting a dealer based on price instead of location. I live in near Toronto Ontario Canada. We have 1 dealer with a province (state) of 15 million people My wife and I will be travelling in the states so we will probably always be close to a DRV dealer. I really appreciate your help as I will probably have to spend $120,000 in the end as we are looking at a loaded 41RBBS4 with generator etc
Bob
Old 06-13-2015, 09:57 AM   #9
Snidely Whiplash

Bob, I probably have not been as clear as I should be. With regard to Rolling Retreats the following is my opinion:

"I don't mean to bad-mouth anyone, but I see some of the prices listed and paid for the most highly regarded dealership on the forum and I'm dumbfounded at how much people will overpay for an RV because the dealership owners are nice to them. When I buy I don't care how nice the dealer is to me, I want the best price, period."

Additionally, what I posted earlier:

"I bought from a dealer VERY close to the factory ..."

Take my opinion for what it's worth to you, I know it won't be popular with many here.

FYI (and I'm not recommending this particular dealership) I found the model you're looking for at Kansas RV Center in Chanute KS with an MSRP of $149,379.00. I think you would be able to negotiate a $105,00 price pretty easily (30% off of MSRP) but you would need to convince them you're a serious buyer and will purchase quickly.

Any dealer should be able to order your particular build and negotiate a good price for you if they know it won't have to sit on their lot (costing them interest) and that you're a serious buyer. I have never had any luck doing the "Internet price request" thing. It results in a semi-canned response and middle of the road pricing that isn't appealing to me. Get several prices from dealers and negotiate with the top 2 or 3. The number one issue that will benefit you most is to get them to understand you're a serious (but not unknowledgeable or desperate) buyer. That's the key.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:11 PM   #10
Willym

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOWITTRO View Post
Thank you again. I received a price from RVs for Less over the internet but it was not priced as sharp as the formula you referenced above. Were you happy with your price from Alicia and did you feel it was the best from the dealers you contacted? I am on side with you in terms of selecting a dealer based on price instead of location. I live in near Toronto Ontario Canada. We have 1 dealer with a province (state) of 15 million people My wife and I will be travelling in the states so we will probably always be close to a DRV dealer. I really appreciate your help as I will probably have to spend $120,000 in the end as we are looking at a loaded 41RBBS4 with generator etc
Bob
Just noticed this post. We went through the buying process last spring. We found the model we liked at an RV show in Texas. We then emailed several dealers - mostly in the US for quotes after determining the options we wanted. We also requested trade in allowances for our then current trailer. We got a competitive price from the Ontario dealer - after the trade in. Most of our quotes were within a few thousand dollars of each other. We ended up buying in Ontario as we then did not have to go through the import process and we only paid sales tax on the net price of the trailer after the trade in was deducted. if we had imported a new model, we'd have paid tax on the cost of it - with no allowance for the trade in. If you have no trade in. then you may save a few bucks by going south. However we got a good price from the Ontario dealer as he knew we were getting quotes in both countries.

Since we purchased we have had only one set of warranty work done and that was done by Paul Cross in Indiana on ur way home from Texas this spring.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:25 AM   #11
porkchop

This thread is interesting to me as we purchased our 5th DRV a month ago.

I requested quotes from the largest dealers around on the exact speced unit and received fairly quick responces from all.

The absolute highest price was from Kansas, by multible thousands. And he quoted "price firm".

RR was in the middle, but she had included some options not requested and it was hard to figure the correct price.

The best price by far came from Karen at RVs for less. The unit she had was on her lot and included a few things I had not speced, but wanted anyway. Great to work with.

As things were about to end with a trip south, a dealer only 30 miles from me, whom I had bought our very first from called and wanted to talk. He had a brand new 2014 unit sitting on his lot yet, and 2016s coming. We worked out a deal for probably the best discount ever! The unit was short a few things, but had several things I did not want but can live with. Outside TV heading the list. Last week of July I will be at the factory adding the things we wanted and a small fix it list. Biggest thing on the list is the TV does not lift high enough for the remote to work well. Easy fix I think.

Purchasing local was a benefit, but really location does not matter. Over the years we have found DRV to above expectations in every case. They have allowed payment to mobile techs and to dealers who do not sell their product. Besides the fact that we love the product the excellent customer service is what keeps us coming back.

I figure we have enough time left for 1 more for sure and hopefully 2!

Bill

porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote