Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2011, 10:12 PM   #1
jcasey

preventing/fixing chips to paint on lower front of 5th wheel

Often one can see stone chips on the lower front of the 5th wheel, even with mudflaps on the truck.

Therefore, I am curious what people have been doing to counteract, repair, or prevent the damage (chips) to the paint. And, what are the results and costs for these remedies?

Here are several choices:

1. repaint; but, that doesn't prevent future stones that hit the lower front from causing the paint to chip.

2. rubberized paint? Can colors be matched and is this remedy effective?

3. apply Line-X, Rhino Liner, or similar. These can be black in color or mixed so the color matches the trailer. (Some owners have applied these products to the roof of trailers.) One price I was quoted was $300 in black, $450 if also painted, and $600 when the product is matched to the trailer's color--for the lower front.

4. over-the-counter products that are rolled or sprayed on that chip prone areas. These are somewhat similar products to Line-X or Rhino Liner; but not likely as thick or as good. In the long run, this approach might be as expensive as Line-X or Rhino. I don't know if color matches are available.

Any experiences, suggestions, costs, appliers, or comments will be appreciated.

2011 Ford 6.7 Powerstroke F350 Super Cab, AT, DRW, Lariat. with Ride-Rite Firestone Air Bags. Used to tow 2011 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3 #5568, which is equipped with Center Point Suspension, Trailair Hitch, Level-Up, dual pane windows, Satellite Finder, 17.5 Tires, Dual Air, Valley/Husky 24,000 5th wheel hitch.
jcasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:21 PM   #2
wingnut60
Site Team

I think your estimates of the color-matched liner coats is probably close. I have been looking at chips on mine for some time wishing I could do something about the sorry look. One of the recent things I did was to replace the OEM mudflaps with Duraflaps--they stick out at least an inch farther; the OEMs left the outside of the duals uncovered. However, I don't really expect much improvement.
Maybe someone will come up with a cost-efficient solution.
Joe

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:02 PM   #3
BobW

I saw a 5th wheel that had aluminum diamond plate attached to the front from side to side. It really looked good. I think they just glued it on.
2007 M2 Freightliner
2005 Wrangler
In a land of the blind, the one eyed guy is king.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:31 PM   #4
wingnut60
Site Team

That works for a fiver with no doors--I have gen opening and battery compartment on front...little more complicated. But have seen that done, and on some factory units.
Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:52 PM   #5
Joezilla

I've seen the Line-X applied on some units. I've also seen one unit that had like a roll up shade installed. It was snapped in place, but you could roll it up and velcro the roll up above the storage door.

Joe
Joezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:37 AM   #6
jas24

Have seen some trucks that have a bar all the way across rear of truck
with mudflaps and bar is welded to trailer receiver.

Pull the pin and can take the whole mudflap on and off anytime.

If this is braced correctly, theses guys say they have no problems and the mudflaps all the way across do help...

06 F-350 Lariat 4x4 V-10 CC SRW LB
06 Mobile Suites 36CK3
jas24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:29 AM   #7
jcasey

Prior to doing an Alaska trip and I built a second set of mudflaps that attached to the square hitch receiver under the bumper. So, I had the first set of flaps just behind the wheels and a second set of flaps just below the bumper. Perhaps the second set helped somewhat, but I still had an increase of the stones chipping the paint.

I also had considered cutting a piece of thick vinyl coated fabric--one can get it at most craft or some hardware stores--and attaching it to the lower front of the trailer with velcro. It is an idea I haven't tried, partly because it looks half-way and also the idea might not be successful.

Thanks for the diamond plate idea; I will do some looking and pricing.
2011 Ford 6.7 Powerstroke F350 Super Cab, AT, DRW, Lariat. with Ride-Rite Firestone Air Bags. Used to tow 2011 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3 #5568, which is equipped with Center Point Suspension, Trailair Hitch, Level-Up, dual pane windows, Satellite Finder, 17.5 Tires, Dual Air, Valley/Husky 24,000 5th wheel hitch.
jcasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:16 PM   #8
BobW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60
That works for a fiver with no doors--I have gen opening and battery compartment on front...little more complicated. But have seen that done, and on some factory units.
Joe
The doors were covered also, or made completely of diamond plate.

2007 M2 Freightliner
2005 Wrangler
In a land of the blind, the one eyed guy is king.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote