Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2010, 02:29 PM   #1
Okie

Skylight

After a 1/2 " rain in 20minutes I found water on the floor near the shower at the top of the steps. Checking farther I found that my skylight was cracked at two corners. I ordered a new one from the local dealer and got a new one (skylight) two weeks later. While in the process of changing it out I discovered that 12 out of the 30 screws that hold it in place were screwed down so far that they made circle cracks around the screw heads and the cracks spread from there. I am surprised that it didn't start leaking before. As I was taking the goop off I decided to check and make sure all the screw hole lined up on the new skylight and found that they didn't. Then farther checking revealed that the new and old skylight were not the same size. The old one is 5/8" wider and 1/2 inch longer. After a lot of stammering and stuttering from the dealer I sent a note off to DVR.
My question is, has anybody else worked or worked around this problem? Should I fill in the holes and put in the new one?? I hope not but I guess I will find out from DVR (I hope).

Okie

Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:31 PM   #2
Okie

By the way, I have a trash bag covering the skylight right now. I don't think you would want pictures of that??

Okie

Old 09-30-2010, 07:50 PM   #3
JOHN EVANS

a clear , white or black trash bag ?
JOHN EVANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:36 PM   #4
Okie

It's black.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:35 PM   #5
Gemstone

I replaced our skylight this summer, experienced no problems, but likewise, the old one had two cracks in the corners....the new one was ordered from a catalog via a local Denver area RV dealer.

Regards
Gemstone
Old 10-01-2010, 09:36 AM   #6
Okie

I got an almost immediate responce from DRV (Tom Peck). Seems there is an old style and new for the skylight and I have the old. some thought that they were the same. Anyway DRV will soon have the correct replacement in the mail. These people are good.
Does anyone have a secret or majic way of cleaning the goop off the rubber roof??

Okie
Old 10-03-2010, 09:18 AM   #7
Huck

Send a message via ICQ to Huck
I don't know how to get the goop off the roof, but just a heads-up, I don't think you have a rubber roof. Being a 2005 model. It is probably more of a vinyl than rubber.
2005 RE3 MS #2163
2006 F-350 CC 4X4
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:24 AM   #8
Motor31

The roof material is EPDM. A standard material for that purpose. Cleaning caulk off of it is going to be pretty tough. Try not to cut the membrane if you can help it at all. Sealing it with Eternabond tape is a better idea than adding more EPDM safe caulk. Plain silicone house caulk is not a good idea at all as it won't allow future sealing of the same area since new caulk won't stick to the older caulk.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:39 PM   #9
Okie

I was going to use the caulk to seal the under edges of the skylight and use silicone on the screws when I replaced them and then use eternabond to seal the outside of the skylight. I mentioned using eternabond to the dealer here and they recommended that I use the selfleveling caulk. He said the eternabond would curl up after being in the sun for a while. I believe that I will use the eternabond and if it does ever do that I can seal it with the caulk.

Okie
Old 10-03-2010, 04:34 PM   #10
RGordon

Just remember that eternabond will not stick to silicone caulking. I would use Proflex or Dicor as a choice of caulking under the eternabond. That is what the manufacturer says about the silicone.
2007 Mobile Suite 38RL3 #3698
RGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:32 PM   #11
Okie

Nothing ever goes as planned or hoped. I got the skylight from DRV this morning and found it was even smaller than the one I got from the dealer which was smaller than the original. The one from the dealer was predrilled for screws but didn't match up with the original in number or placement. The one I got this morning was smaller than both of them and had no predrilled screw holes. So I still have a "black" trashbag over the skylight and no replacement. I did let them know at DRV and am waiting for a responce. So much for the trip to the lake and fishing this week.

Okie
Old 10-08-2010, 07:38 AM   #12
Gemstone

As I mentioned earlier, I replaced our skylight with one ordered from a local non-DRV dealer. The manufacturer is "Bri-Rus Skylight Domes".

On our ES 36TK3, the dome size is 17.5"x25.5", measured flange to flange, and is designed to fit a rough hole of 14x22. The Mfr# is SL1422S (S for Smoke color, C for Clear and W for White).

I don't recall if the holes were an exact match, but that is immaterial as you need a roll of that gray sticky tape-sealant to go down first (not provided), then the skylight, then use the tube of urethane sealant provided with the skylight.

Good Luck
Gemstone
Old 10-16-2010, 09:43 AM   #13
Okie

Well I finally got the correct skylight from DRV. After giving them the measurements of the skylight on my first email and our first phone call and after getting two skylights that were too small they said Oh you want the outer dome and quoted the measurements I gave them in the first place. I didn't realize there was an outer and inner dome to the skylight so I guess it was my fault. Anyway it is fixed now and thanks for the tips from the group it helped.

Okie
Old 10-16-2010, 06:22 PM   #14
bstark

Kinda comical when you consider you were needing one because your roof was leaking into your shower area which would not be happening if it was just the inner dome and I'm sure you mentioned the leaking when you ordered the new one.

So the original dimensions coupled with the leaking info should have given someone at DRV a clue you needed the outer one. Frustrating stuff.