Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2009, 08:07 AM   #1
golf_bears

Direct TV Setup, Help, Help!

We have a 2008 MS 36TK3 and I am trying to set up our Direct TV satellite system. I have the satellite signal coming into the RV and have hooked it up to the receiver and directly to the living room TV. Did this to make sure I was receiving a signal and that the receiver was functioning properly.

Now how do I wire up the incoming satellite signal through all the components in the bedroom cabinet to the living room TV. I have the Winegard Select switch with the antenna and cable TV working fine but can’t figure out how to get the satellite signal working.

I know some of you have figured this out and have chatted about it before on this forum. Need your help, please.

Thanks in advance.

golf_bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:51 AM   #2
Motor31

If there is a signal splitter in there on the satellite cable it's going to degrade the signal. You'll have to isolate the satellite feed and the coax going to the bedroom. Then make sure there is no inline signal splitter on the line.

If you are using the same Winegard distribution box with all the buttons on the front as we are, you'll have to set it up the same for the bedroom as the front room. You'll have to push the satellite button to allow the signal to go to the bedroom coax. In our case that's the second set of 4 buttons from the left starting with "AUX". Push in the "SAT" button and hook the bedroom coax to the fitting on the back that it feeds.

You do not need to turn on the power switch in the main switching device, that's to power the batwing antenna booster.

Have fun, this is a real mess to figure out. Have several beers or beverage of your choice handy and plan to spend at least an afternoon sorting the rats nest of sometimes mislabeled cables back there.

2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:02 PM   #3
golf_bears

Motor31,

Thanks for your reply. Took your advice and had a few beers, then had a few more, then a few more. Now I have the system working!!!!! LOL.

Seriously, I called the factory, spoke with Joe and he talked me thru the correct setup. Got it all working and then unplugged a few things then plugged them back in and now the AVS200HD control box blew out. DRV is sending me a new unit along with a few more parts so I can make the final setup and get all the loose cables hanging in the bedroom to the living room put away.

It's been fun trying to get this system functioning correctly. Hope I remember what to do when the new parts get here from DRV.

Again, thanks for the help.

Take care.
golf_bears is offline   Reply With Quote