Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2012, 12:01 PM   #1
Haggis

Suspesion Failures Reporting

Calling all DRV Unit owners who has had suspension failures such as; suspension hangers bend or break away from the frame.

Other manufactures such as KZRV have had this problem and have had 419 units recalled; ordered by NHTSA. One other manufacturer Cedar Creek has also had this suspension problem.

Another DRV unit owner; 2007 Select Suites TK3 #3117 had this suspension problem as well as myself. I need names and statements from all owners who have had this suspension problem so I can bring this serious problem to the attension of the NHTSA. I have notified the NHTSA in regards to the problem I have had. They responded and I await a decision from them. I also notified Lippart, but I have had no response from them.

We need to have this problem addressed before people are seriosly injured or killed on the highway.

You can send me a P.M. if you so desire.

Geoff

Haggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
rjohnsonnm

My 2004 had a spring snap last winter. I just chalked it up to the lousy Oklahoma and Arkansas freeways.
Ron

2004 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #0925
2011 F-350 Lariat Diesel Longbed
Albuquerque, NM
rjohnsonnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #3
Motor31

Only failure I have had to date has been the shock mounting point on the frame and that was due to lack of welds. Fixed in 06.

I keep a sharp eye on the suspension and tires.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:27 AM   #4
sr

You have my info. Let me know if I need to do anything else
2007 Select Suites TK3 #3117
2006 Ford F-350, CC, SWD
Pullright Sliding Hitch,LCD Mounted in Storage Door
Trailair Auto Level Up with Remote
Lippert Under Chassis Storage
Pressure Pro, Garmin 660
Winegard Direct TV Travler Sat. Dish
Rearview Camera, Water Softner
New Palestine, Indiana :)
sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #5
2blackdogs

I had two top shock absorber mounts break loose from the frame and just recently had a lower shock absorber mount break.
Trailer Saver hitch
www.mytripjournal.com/elitesuitestravels
IN GOD WE TRUST
2blackdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:06 AM   #6
bstark

I do not wish to hy-jack Geoff's topic but for those who are, or have experienced shock mount failure; you would be advised to check the placement of those mounts relative to the total shock absorber stroke positioning of your mounts.

If there has been any mod done to the trailer suspension such as lowering or raising the spring eye to shackle positioning or installation of another suspension system entirely without subsequent re-positioning of those mounts, you may have a situation where the shock absorbers are either hyper-extending or bottoming out occasionally.

The factory may also have inter-mixed the shackle link plates on the Trail-air suspensions for the 36's and 38's (my situation) which mean't the wrong length shackle link plates were installed on my trailer from the factory resulting in the shocks bottoming frequently. My unit was a 38 Mobile Suites 2367 built 05.

Re-welding my top mounts that had broken off simply resulted in the bottom ones breaking the long finger off until I reasoned that they were bottoming and taking the trailer to Trail-air to ascertain what was up.

One look at the suspension and Trailair noticed the wrong shackle link plates had been installed on their suspension unit by the factory.

Very sorry to hear of your problems and good luck with your resolution Geoff.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
BobW

Every wheel has had a shock mount bracket welded back together. Very little area to weld the bracket. Bad design.
2007 M2 Freightliner
2005 Wrangler
In a land of the blind, the one eyed guy is king.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:22 PM   #8
Haggis

SUSPENSION FAILURES

Do you miss not having wheels go bumpty bump down the road, now that you are in a stationary unit?

I'm starting to think about your life style as time goes by, must be easier on the gray matter.

Thanks for the encouragement!
Geoff :)
Old 12-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #9
bstark

Well Geoff; you're currently dealing with one the types of things that I simply got fed up with. Along with the interstates getting nuttier and nuttier the time was right for us to hang up the spurs.

Stangely enough the only part I miss is the International Toter and of course the folks we met in our travels.

I'm sitting in our Lanai with a gentle rainfall coming down at this moment pondering going to the club tomorrow for some much needed chipping practice.

Regardless of how you get there it's the journey that's important. Try not to let the frustrating stuff take the gloss off the good memories.

Hang in there.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #10
Haggis

Suspension Failure Reporting

Well folks............I got a phone call from NHTSA this morning regarding the suspension failure I had in Montana. They have requested pictures of the failure, I will be forwarding pictures to them as soon as I finish this message. NHTSA did say they have not heard from any DRV unit owners regarding suspension problems. If anyone has had suspension problems please send pictures and a discription of the failure to NHTSA. You will find their web site on the net. If you do not have pictures at least send a discription.

Thanks to the owners who have contacted me, but it is important that NHTSA is contacted! You may save someone from being seriously injured.

Geoff
Old 01-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #11
Gemstone

I have nothing to report/no failures so far, but I applaud your initiative Geoff....Thanks for your efforts.

Regards
Gemstone
Old 01-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #12
Haggis

Re: Suspesion Failures Reporting

File a Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA
www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Includes RV's!
Old 05-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #13
gpstech
Boondocking

Shock mounts on 2005 Mobile Suites 31RS3

Just had two upper shock mounts welded to the frame after one separated completely and the other showed signs of cracks. I found the problems while replacing my shocks (Monroe P/N: 555001). I was told by the technician that the metal of the frame looks to be too thin for the upper brackets. He suggested cutting out that section and welding in a thicker plate. Any ideas?
gpstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:06 AM   #14
billr

The frame should be just fine to weld the brackets to. It is plenty strong enough for shocks. Unless there is a lack of material from rust or torn, burned through etc. The main issue is the lousy job Lippert did welding the original brackets on and the shape of the brackets leaving only a small area to weld.

If he welds on a new bracket with more contact space it should be mint.

Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #15
Cummins12V98

Re: Shock mounts on 2005 Mobile Suites 31RS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpstech
Just had two upper shock mounts welded to the frame after one separated completely and the other showed signs of cracks. I found the problems while replacing my shocks (Monroe P/N: 555001). I was told by the technician that the metal of the frame looks to be too thin for the upper brackets. He suggested cutting out that section and welding in a thicker plate. Any ideas?
The plate is a good idea if the location for the weld has gotten too thin.

A side note for anyone wanting to replace their shocks Rock Auto has the Monroe shocks mentioned for around $27 each. Much less than NAPA and others. Don't get your shocks from a trailer parts supplier they will be the same Chicom POS shocks that came on the MS in the first place. The Monroe's are US Made.

2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote