Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2018, 01:54 PM   #1
mwgus

fifth wheel backing up

hello thanks for letting me joining this forum. I have had a travel trailer for 15 years. we just purchased a 5th wheel. I have never had a problem backing up. but seem to have a problem backing up our 5thwheel. does any one have any suggestions, or tricks for backing up. thanks Gus

mwgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 03:52 PM   #2
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Practice, practice, that is how most of us gained the expertise in our backing skills. I found a large vacant parking lot and placed cones out and tried to get the trailer in between the cones. At first it was not pretty, squashed a few cones and felt this was a lot harder that I had ever thought. But after more practice and a few new unsquashed cones, I got it. I also found going the extra 50 to 100 feet beyond where I wanted to back in gave me some room to adjust easier than trying to back in into a site if I was just a bit beyond the site. 5th wheels and travel trailers back different because of the hitch placement.

1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:33 PM   #3
mwgus

thank for your reply, I tried the extra distance and it worked it made it possible to get it in first shot.
mwgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:33 PM   #4
elliott-maine

The easiest way to back a 5th wheel is to look where you want the tires to go, and have a safty person to watch the rear of the trailer. I've even heard of people who laid out their extension cord along the path they want their wheels to go.
elliott-maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:53 PM   #5
hotpepperkid

Just remember a 5th wheel doesnt cheat as quick as a trailer but when it starts it goes big time, so most of us over steer
hotpepperkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:03 PM   #6
grafton guns

Definitely use a spotter. Give yourself plenty of room. Back up slowly. Try and give yourself as much room to back up straight and then Gently steer the ass end towards your spotter. I use the wife as a spotter on my driver side.
grafton guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:53 PM   #7
SrFox

I remember when I went from bumper pull to 5th wheel. It just takes a bit of practice. There is good advice above about giving yourself more room and watch where your trailer tires go. Good luck.
SrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:01 AM   #8
Canuck_Dave

Best clue I heard about backing up a 5th ( our first summer after years of bumper tow) was GOAL , Get Out And Look as often as needed. Go slow and practice lots.