Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-29-2016, 05:22 PM   #1
bpage1124

Lurching Trailer

Hello all and thank you in advance for any help you can give.

I'm new to the RV world and bought my first RV a 2011 Forest River XLR Toy Hauler last spring. My wife and I had a great time on the trips that we were able to take but noticed one very nerve raking thing.

The trailer seems to lurch forward while being towed at a steady pace. This only seems to occur on roads that have bumps or seams or cracks that run across the road.

Does anyone have any idea how to stop this?

Thanks

bpage1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:30 PM   #2
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Some folks feel the weight difference between the 7,000lb truck and the 15,000 or higher weight trailer lets the trailer control the truck, pushing it as the trailer rolls and moves over the uneven road surface. Having a quality hitch that will absorb some of the push will help remove the majority of the 'push' feeling your getting. In another thread there is discussion on the reason for an air hitch and this is just one of those reasons to own one. It will absorb the movements being forced from the trailer to the tuck.

1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:38 PM   #3
bpage1124

Thanks for the feedback Stacey
bpage1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:20 PM   #4
wingnut60
Site Team

Need some info--what type of pin box/hitch is on the trailer? Does it act the same whether the toy is on board or not?
If you only have a solid king pin/hitch, the next step up is probably a MorRyde pin box. From there on, lots of quality hitches to choose from--TrailAire, Hensley BD3 and others. This is a subject where you can spend a lot of money and not help if you don't do a lot of research.
Tow vehicle? Check the Forest River Owners Group F.R.O.G for someone with a similar trailer and ask what they have as a hitch.
Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:50 AM   #5
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Joe is exactly correct, there is always more to it than just the hitch. But you need to ask lots of questions about why, when and how your loaded if that changes the ride. I just added your question into the already running thread about a hitch. Air does help and if the hitch is the only cause will correct your issue.
1991 Avanti Conv
Old 03-04-2016, 02:38 PM   #6
Daryl944

It's not only 'nerve racking' but will lead to neck injury over time. Invest in an air hitch, save your neck.
Daryl944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:02 PM   #7
oldbird

This controls the up and down, the chucking.

This controls the forward and backward movements.

Glenn 2008 36TK3 #4571
oldbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:53 AM   #8
RNBTT-Hal

I've had a TT for years but soon will be getting my first 5th wheel. The camper I plan to buy comes standard with a TrailAir pin box. If I should invest in an air hitch would there be any benefit or is this just redundant and unneeded?
RNBTT-Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 05:29 PM   #9
Davidg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpage1124 View Post
Hello all and thank you in advance for any help you can give.
I'm new to the RV world and bought my first RV a 2011 Forest River XLR Toy Hauler last spring. My wife and I had a great time on the trips that we were able to take but noticed one very nerve raking thing.
The trailer seems to lurch forward while being towed at a steady pace. This only seems to occur on roads that have bumps or seams or cracks that run across the road.
Does anyone have any idea how to stop this?
Thanks
You've received some great advice. What you describe is what I think is called chucking. I used to have a Durango fiver with a Reese slider hitch, and whenever we hit the concrete interstates with the expansion joints every 25 feet, the rapid and bone jarring "pushing-pulling" motion would become so bad, I became concerned that something was going to tear apart soon. I can only imagine the forces that are in play when this phenomenon starts. I have a mechanical engineering background, and I tried to calculate those forces based on weights and speeds, but without raw data, it became an educated guess. Another variable was the clearances between connected components. In other words, any residual "slack" in the different connections would be taken out at different rates depending on the weight and forward motion of the trailer vs truck. When you think about it, there is a small amount of clearance between the rails and hitch frame, between the hitch frame and the hitch head, and between the hitch head to the trailer pin. Those different clearance values are being taken up in both directions every time the truck and trailer are in motion and then encounter the bumps, dips, potholes, and expansion joints of highways.
Anyway, the numbers I was coming up with were a little scary. A tight "zero clearance" connection makes a huge difference. So when we traded up to the Silverback, I did some research and decided to go with the Goosebox hitch, and I'm happy to say that 97% of the chucking went away.
There are other great hitches out there like the pictures above show. I liked the Goosebox because I now have nothing to lift into or out of the truck bed. That old Reese was heavy enough for my 63 year old body, and I was tired of wrestling it. The rail pins were also aggravating at times.
I'm not saying the Goosebox is the only solution, but only one solution out of many offerings. You have to figure out which hitch setup is right for you and your application.
Either way, you are doing the right thing by asking the questions. You are getting some great suggestions. Good luck, but don't live with it. There are solutions.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:21 PM   #10
oldbird

All I can say because I never had an opportunity to compare different hitches etc. is the trailer saver hitch I feel saved my truck and 5er. In certain situations my truck would get slammed so hard I thought it was going to break my rear axle. It was violent to say the least. No chucking after getting the hitch.
Glenn 2008 36TK3 #4571
Old 03-12-2016, 10:14 AM   #11
chevman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNBTT-Hal View Post
I've had a TT for years but soon will be getting my first 5th wheel. The camper I plan to buy comes standard with a TrailAir pin box. If I should invest in an air hitch would there be any benefit or is this just redundant and unneeded?

You will not need two air products. Either will work great. We have an airhitch since 2001.

chevman
Old 03-14-2016, 10:13 PM   #12
kannon

So if given the choice is it better to have trail saver on pin box or on truck if you don't need both?
kannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:46 PM   #13
Stripit

If I had the option I would go with the truck mounted air hitch.
1991 Avanti Conv
Old 03-23-2016, 09:28 AM   #14
Maverick

I agree full heartedly with Stripit. Since I purchase my TrailerSaver, the ride has been phenomenal. The chucking is gone and the transferring of the hard highway gapes are also gone. The ride is actually enjoyable. People think they are a bit pricey, but once you try it, you won't what to give it up!
Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:02 AM   #15
oldbird

Agree 110% with Maverick!

Glenn 2008 36TK3 #4571