Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2010, 06:36 PM   #1
jwbups

Satellite dish

I have a 2006 Elite with the domed satellite receiver that locates my direct TV signal. I have Direct TV HD at my house. I would like to have the Winegard slimline dish installed in place of the domed dish. Camping world in Grand rapids told me on the phone that new wiring would have to be done to make this happen. Has anyone replaced their single prong satellite dish with the 3 prong dish and what problems did you encounter. I had direct TV install the proper dish for HD service on my roof and they did not run any extra cable lines to the rear of the receivers that I had installed 2 years ago. Thanks, Jim

2006 Elite Suite #3207 ,
jwbups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:47 AM   #2
Gemstone

The HD dish uses only one cable, just like your old one....I'd question their procedure....exactly what they intend to do and why.
Maybe this is what they were referring to:

RG6 vs RG59

Regards
Gemstone

Old 12-03-2010, 07:47 AM   #3
hitchup

We're seriously considering it. Our SD receivers are giving us problems and the only option is to have DirecTV send us two more refurbished units.

Our 2006 Elite had the RG6 cable to the Dome. Our 2009 does as well. So like Gemstone, not sure what CW is trying to tell you. The only rewiring we had to do on both units was in the bedroom for a 2nd reciever instead of a mirroring the main TV.
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:39 AM   #4
Huck

Send a message via ICQ to Huck
Quote:
Camping world in Grand rapids told me on the phone that new wiring would have to be done to make this happen.
I would call someone else, or check out this forum.
http://www.dbstalk.com/index.php?s=0...a58277b555e11e
Very active forum with everything you ever wanted to know about satellite TV.
2005 RE3 MS #2163
2006 F-350 CC 4X4
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:03 AM   #5
sr

If it is the Winegard Travler you will have to have the control cable installed to the dish. Also if you have the DVR from Direct, you will need two coaxes from the dish to the receiver so you can record while watching another channel.
2007 Select Suites TK3 #3117
2006 Ford F-350, CC, SWD
Pullright Sliding Hitch,LCD Mounted in Storage Door
Trailair Auto Level Up with Remote
Lippert Under Chassis Storage
Pressure Pro, Garmin 660
Winegard Direct TV Travler Sat. Dish
Rearview Camera, Water Softner
New Palestine, Indiana :)
sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:48 AM   #6
keithandpenne

We were told about the same from Wineguad, that we would have to have a new dish to get HD. We decided to go with a ground mount for several personal reasons.

After using the ground mount, (with Dish Net) the only problem is/was that we had to run new cables to eliminate the splitters DRV have in line on the factory install.

We have had HD for over a year and the other day, I decided to check out the roof mounted dome dish and ran a coax direct from the dish to the DVR receiver. After running the setup on the receiver, the dish found the satellite and locked on. I then went through all of our 250 channels and when I switched to another channel, the dish would switch to the proper satellite and lock on. I could not detect any loss of sharpness in the picture.

Before you replace the dish, you might want to run a cable direct to your receiver and try it. The only thing I had to do was remove the cover and change the dip switches to change from Direct to Dish.

Dish service advised they can not use a splitter before the receiver, only after. Direct can use splitters before or after the receiver which is the reason to use a direct cable for testing. The down side is that you will only have one input to your receiver which is not a problem unless you want to use a DVR and record another channel while watching a different one.

2005 36TK3 #1855
2008 F450 CC Lariat
keithandpenne is offline   Reply With Quote