Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2010, 11:16 AM   #1
matsonelite69

CDL Required after 2010

Hey Guys and Gals, I was told that staritng next year we will have to have a CDL for 2500 and above, can anyone verify that info? I have a CDL so its not a problem for me. I just wondered if it was true.
Happy Camping.

matsonelite69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:18 PM   #2
john

cdc

If needed I would be surprised....

Old 11-11-2010, 01:52 PM   #3
wingnut60
Site Team

CDL

CDL is needed for basically GVW-GCVWs above 26001 and in commercial enterprises. Not for a light-duty pickup, even the 450/4500s. I have been told by TX HP that I need a CDL for my 27440 gross, but have never been checked/weighed/hassled.
Just another unfounded rumor, I suspect.
Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:42 PM   #4
Gemstone

Those would be "state specific" requirements....some states require specific licensing for different weight classes, some don't. Using the term CDL, (Commercial Drivers License)...if you are not driving for commercial purposes, then as a rule, you do not fall into the CDL category. You may, depending on your home state, and what you are driving/pulling, be required to have something other than a typical class C.
South Dakota has 2 classifications for big trucks, you are either commercial or non commercial...and a class C is all I need for the rig I drive.

Regards
Gemstone
Old 11-11-2010, 03:49 PM   #5
jcarper

CDL

CDL requirements vary by state. California where I live requires what the DMV calls a non-commercial Class A which is identical to the CDL truckers have to have except a Physical is not required every two years, just a medical statement, and the driving test does not require you to parallel park your fifth wheel only to complete all the other elements of the CDL requirement.

The criteria in California is any fifth wheel with a rating of 15k GVWR or higher and 10k GVRW or higher for pull trailers. There are also length requirements as well which could affect licensing laws.

I am not aware of any National requirement either in effect or pending.
jcarper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:07 PM   #6
terry and jo

Forgive me if I am in error here. My term as an 18-wheeler driver ended long ago. However, if I remember correctly the CDL (Commercial Driver's License) IS a federal license now. As stated before, if one's truck has a GVWR over 26,000 lbs, then a CDL is required.

While it is a Class 4 truck, my Ford F450 only has a GVWR of 14,500, so I do not need a CDL. While states do still have licensing requirements of their own, none are a CDL.

Terry
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:56 PM   #7
wingnut60
Site Team

CDL

Its a lot more complicated than having only a truck that can gross over 26000--a lighter truck and a trailer over 10000 in a commercial use will require the CDL in TX. As I stated, my gross is over 27000, but the truck is at 14500--if for some reason I was checked for weight, I could be cited.
I actually should have a 'non-air brake' CDL which actually is easy to obtain--but having a CDL will at some point complicate my insurance, when the 450 is taken into account. And--can't get a speeding ticket dismissed with a defensive driving course if you have a CDL.
All-in-all, RVers are almost never stopped/cited unless doing something else to get attention, like double towing....
Joe

Terry, question: on the registration on your 450, does it have ANY reference to weight/carrying capacity/weight rating? Mine says 11000--tried to tell the county clerk it was higher, but her book overrode my opinion...She did say I could register if for any weight I wanted, but the cost jumped quickly, so I agreed with her book.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:25 AM   #8
jas24

CDL

That would be a great money maker for all the states to cash in on. Think of the revenue they could collect.
Officer friendly would be very busy with all the RVer's.
They would have fun enforcing it.

06 F-350 Lariat 4x4 V-10 CC SRW LB
06 Mobile Suites 36CK3
jas24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:51 AM   #9
Motor31

I see a lot of comments but not one has any substantive information. If you have a question regarding the cdl requirements I suggest you contact the state DMV where you are licensed. They have the regulations regarding who must have a cdl.

Last I checked there was no requirement fort a commercial license unless you were involved in driving for compensation.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:07 AM   #10
matsonelite69

Thanks, It could be a bad rumor. As i stated b4 I hold a CDL and have for several years and I am aware of the 26000 gvw requirements. I will follow up with the state and let you all know what i find out. As I always tell you guys Thank you, and your information cannot have a price tag applied to it. Have a Great Weekend and safe travels.
matsonelite69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:32 PM   #11
BlueSkyRanch

Here is the requirement for Florida.

Driver License Classes and Endorsements
Commercial Driver Licenses (CDL)

CLASS A: Trucks or truck combinations weighing with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 26,001 lbs. or more, provided towed vehicle is more than 10,000 lbs.

Based on this, many of us would be required to have a CDL.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:02 PM   #12
The View 5046

A CDL is required for Commerical Drivers and come under the Fedral laws which require a person operating a Veh over 26,001 lbs is required to have a CDL. Also depending on what your operating may require a indorsement, for Tankers, Doubles or Triples etc.

There are a few States now requiring a special Lic to operate certain types of Trucks. This isn't a CDL, in most States have now realized you can get lots of extra money for having operators ot get a special lic. The Federal Government, State and Local Governments are looking for ways to take in more money. Remember we Vote for many of these people!!!

The CDL requirments have made millions upon millions for the Federal and State coffers, made tons of money for the Medical field also. I have a CDL and its cost me several hundreds of dollars to maintain my Lic over the years. Has it made me a better driver, can't really no for sure but many have had to learn how to take a test. Really, I don't think there are safer drivers on the road today. I do know there are many excellent drivers who weren't able to pass the requirements for a CDL.

I do think that to make a CDL a requirement for all RVer's would in many cases prevent many from owning a RV, not just because of the test but because of the Medical test. I know there are many who will say, well I think everyone who owns a RV should have a special Lic. Better think about that. Just my thoughs, many will disagree.

This issue (CDL) comes up very often. Check with your State and you then will know your requirements. In my State I'm not required to have a special type Lic. to operate my Freigthtliner M2. I have trained many drivers and I really don't believe a CDL has made them better drivers. I do know now you can have more than one set of drivers Lic. At one time I was Lic to drive in 3 different States, the reason was speeding tickets, I have only had one speeding ticket in my life time. If your stopped and given a ticket, in any State and you have a CDL every State will be aware of the ticket.

2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 4 (SOLD)
Trailer Saver TS 3
Pressure Pro System (SOLD)
The View 5046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:23 PM   #13
wingnut60
Site Team

CDL

Altho I was told by a trooper that my GCW needed a CDL, in the Texas Commercial License Handbook: Prologue>Exemptions>Item #4...
"A recreational vehicle that is driven for personal use.
So...don't actually know the correct answer.
Joe
Old 11-13-2010, 12:49 AM   #14
Jack in Alaska

CDL

I kept my CDL active after I retired but let the radioactive/explosive material endorsement expire.
Just in case "the law"starts requiring RV'ers to have a CDL.

Start Out Each Day Real Easy.......Then Taper Off
Jack in Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:48 AM   #15
terry and jo

Re: CDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60
Its a lot more complicated than having only a truck that can gross over 26000--a lighter truck and a trailer over 10000 in a commercial use will require the CDL in TX. As I stated, my gross is over 27000, but the truck is at 14500--if for some reason I was checked for weight, I could be cited.
I actually should have a 'non-air brake' CDL which actually is easy to obtain--but having a CDL will at some point complicate my insurance, when the 450 is taken into account. And--can't get a speeding ticket dismissed with a defensive driving course if you have a CDL.
All-in-all, RVers are almost never stopped/cited unless doing something else to get attention, like double towing....
Joe

Terry, question: on the registration on your 450, does it have ANY reference to weight/carrying capacity/weight rating? Mine says 11000--tried to tell the county clerk it was higher, but her book overrode my opinion...She did say I could register if for any weight I wanted, but the cost jumped quickly, so I agreed with her book.
Joe,

Keep in mind that they may very well vary by state, and I could not see anything regarding GVWR on the registration sheet that they give us to carry in the vehicle. Apparently, your state registers vehicles much differently. If I were to be stopped, the only thing an officer could go by regarding weight would be the "Data Sticker" on the door post of the F450.

Terry
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:00 PM   #16
ken

CDL FOR MOTORHOME AND TOW VECH 5TH WHEELS

YOU HEARD RIGHT ABOUT CDLS FOR CAMPERS AND SUCH. THE WAY IT WILL BE IMPLEMENTED IS WHAT EVER THE REG OF THE VECH YOU ARE USING TO TOW WITH STATES THE VECH WEIGHT WOULD BE THE CLASS YOU WILL HAVE TO USE. YOU WILL NO LONGER BE ABLE TO LIC OR TAKE A VECH LIKE A BUS OR A TOW VECH AND DRIVE IT IF IT WAS TO BE REGISTERED AS A CDL LIKE CLASS A B AND SUCH. YOU WILL HAVE TO LIC IT IN THE SAME CLASS AS IT WAS WHEN THE ORGINAL TITLE OR TITLE OF ORIGIN STATED. THEY WANT TO KEEP FOLKS FROM TAKING TRUCKS BUS'S AND SUCH CONVERTING THEM OVER TO VECH THAT ARE OUT OF CLASS. SO IF YOU TAKE A SEMI TRUCK CAB AND JUST WANT TO PULL YOUR 5TH WHEEL BUT IT WAS BUILT AND ID NUMBERED AS 26000 AND OVER YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO DRIVE THAT WITHOUT A CDL A CDL HAS NOTHING DO DO WITH DRIVING FOR PROFIT IT HAS TO DO WITH WEIGHT CLASS'S. ITS LIKE A UHAUL TRUCK THEY ARE LIC FOR UNDER 26000 BUT THE SAME TRUCK CHASIS CAN ALSO COME FROM THE FACTORY VECH ID FOR OVER 26000 ON OTHER APPLICATIONS. SO IF YOUR TOTERS TITLE WAS ORIGIN TITLED UNDER 26000 THEN THE TOTAL COMBINE CANT BE OVER THAT. SO IF YOUR 5TH WHEEL AND TRUCK ARE OVER YOU COULD GET A TICKET FOR BEING OVER TOTAL WEIGHT. THAT ALSO WOULD PUT YOU IN CLASS A CDL CLASS WHICH WOULD BE COMBO TRUCK TRAILER OVER 26000. THEY WANT TO DO THIS MAINLY TO FINE OR WRITE TICKETS. ALSO TO KEEP FOLKS FROM DRIVING OVER WEIGHT AND OVER LENGTH VECH THAT THEY CANT DRIVE ON A CAR LIC. JUST BECAUSE ITS A MOTORHOME OR 5TH WHEEL COMBO. THIS WILL BE A FEDERAL LAW AS THE CDL PART OF LIC IS FEDERAL CDLS ARE NOT STATE LIC THEY ARE FEDERAL LIC. THE DAYS OF HAVING MORE THAN ONE CDL IN MULTIPLE STATES WAS OVER SEVERAL YEARS AGO. NOTHING SAYS TODAY THAT YOU CANT HAVE A AUTO LIC IN 2 STATES IF YOU LIVE OR HAVE LEGAL ADDRESS IN BOTH BUT YOU CANT IF YOU HAVE A CDL NOT ALLOWED
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:03 AM   #17
The View 5046

I have seen no Federal Law in writing stating you are required to have a CDL. However some States are now requiring some type of Indorsements for drivers to pull or drive a certain classes of RV's. Is a Money situation, the States have figured out another way to get your money. Remember this when you vote.

When the Federal Law was put into Law, it was to make the Heavy Truck industry safer, I don't believe it did. In those days most drivers had more that one Lic. we called them Cowboy Truck drivers, they had many speeding tickets. I do know it sent many great Truck Drivers home, because they couldn't pass the test. And it made Millions for the Federal and State Governments. It created a whole new industry. I have had a license to drive Heavy Trucks (then is was called a Chaffer Lic) since I was 21. And use to pay $6.00 to renew for 6 year. I was grandfathered into the CDL Program, but it cost several hundred dollar to renew my CDL ever time I renew.

Its always interesting to ask a person who is Testing people to get a CDL how many miles they have driven a Class 8 Truck. I wouldn't worry about any State except the State that issues your Lic. The internet has many things that just aren't true. Good Luck.

2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 4 (SOLD)
Trailer Saver TS 3
Pressure Pro System (SOLD)
The View 5046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:12 PM   #18
Motor31

Ken, first off. Caps. Unlock your caps lock key so you can type normally. All caps is annoying and considered rude like always shouting when speaking. In addition to the caps thing, paragraphs. Paragraphs are very nice for making something you are saying easier to read.

Secondly the feds do NOT issue licenses for commercial vehicles, the states do. In addition it does have to do with driving for pay not just weight and or size. I used to write those tickets as well as do haz mat commercial vehicle inspection investigations. If you drive for pay you need a cdl, even taxi drivers need one and their vehicles are not registered over 26,000 lbs.

Check the regs regarding drivers license classifications in the state in which you are licensed. That is the only regs you have to be concerned with as they are the ones issuing the licenses, not the feds. Reciprocity agreements require the other state LEO's to honor the drivers and vehicle licenses issued by another state. That means if you cross a state line your license will be honored in the new state as long as you are not taking up residency there.

I have seen no directives nor even heard of any through the folks I used to work with for a requirement for a CDL for RV'ers as long as they are not driving for a living like those who transport rv's to dealers. I also have not seen any indications that RV's will not be required to enter weigh stations to have their credentials checked as do commercial drivers on the highways. That includes those using converted HDT's like the one I drive as a private RV.

Until and unless someone can actually provide a link or actual document supporting the cdl requirement claims it's just another e-mail / internet myth, and not a new one either. I recall similar claims when I started RVing with an HDT over 6 years ago and it ain't happened yet.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:02 PM   #19
ken

Website to get info on RV CDL lic requirments

If you go to changingears.com website you will find all the states req for rv lic. You will see like NY you need an edorsement for RV to drive in that state. I want to also clear up my statement about CDLs being federal lic. The states will issue CDLs but unlike in the past they are all bound by specific rules in iss the CDLs not like in the past where there were many diffrent rules according to what the states wanted.

You will find that soon you will need a special indorsement to drive an rv or toter before long. Like I said they are not going to allow you to drive vech with that type of weight or combos or that type of weight without having some kind of special lic to do so. Just think about it. Again why would they allow you to drive a vech that weigh 50,000# on a passenger regular car lic when others driving the same weight have to have a CDL
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:52 AM   #20
jas24

Sounds like there will be some really good deals on big trucks and RV's coming up in the near future..................

06 F-350 Lariat 4x4 V-10 CC SRW LB
06 Mobile Suites 36CK3
jas24 is offline   Reply With Quote