Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2017, 08:01 PM   #1
rouxguy

Water Intrusion

We noticed bedroom ceiling water stains in the area under the ac unit. We had some monsoon type weather a few weeks ago. Is it possible rain came in through the ac unit? Any insights appreciated, thanks

2015 38 resb

rouxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:16 PM   #2
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Yes it is possible. Might be worth climbing up on the roof (carefully) and remove the a/c cover shroud. There will be 4 lag style bolts holding down the a/c unit. they are not torqued to a high number, but need to be uniformly tightened down. I've had one bolt looser than the others allowing a trickle of water to enter that corner. Might be worth a check to see if you have something like that happening.

1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:44 AM   #3
wingnut60
Site Team

There is also a reseal kit available from Dometic (assume this is the AC brand) and with a little help, the unit can be lifted up and away, the reseal applied and the AC replaced and tightened down properly. Can also check for wood rot while the AC is off the hole.
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:05 PM   #4
rouxguy

I pulled the shroud this morning, there was one of the four bolts that was not a tight as the other three. Snugged all four of them up some - hope that helps. Not sure what I can do about the stained ceiling panel though. Thanks!
Old 06-26-2017, 01:07 PM   #5
rouxguy

Yes, they are Dometic. Hope that is not the case though. Thanks
Old 06-26-2017, 02:56 PM   #6
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
I used Folex that is a carpet cleaner in my small carpet cleaner with a hand held wand that I used on the ceiling. Folex can be bought at Home Depot and comes in a 1 quart spray bottle. You could just use it out of the bottle and blot the stain out too. It really did a nice job on my stain.
1991 Avanti Conv
Old 08-25-2017, 05:03 PM   #7
rouxguy

Wing-Nut, I brought the Rv in to a dealer to see what they could do for the water intrusion. Given it had only been about 8 weeks since it happened, I was surprised to hear they want to replace the WHOLE roof. They claim the AC's were installed without caulking the lag bolts. What are your thoughts? I think I can remove and recaulk all those bolts myself. The water caused some minor ceiling discoloration but no real, major damage. Your insight is appreciated - Mike
Old 08-25-2017, 05:36 PM   #8
Stripit

Wow, replacing a roof is not something I would take lightly. If what they say is true, and you can verify that no wood rot has taken place, I would do as your thinking, unbolt the lag bolts, lift the a/c unit and caulk with the correct sealant. I have lifted my a/c units to replace the seal, not a big job at all. I did use a caulking to reseal the bolts when I put them back in, no leaks, no issues at all.
1991 Avanti Conv
Old 08-26-2017, 07:29 AM   #9
rouxguy

Thanks, did you inject caulk in the bolt holes? Did you also apply caulk around the heads of the lag bolts? The dealer seems to think when the Ac were installed at the factory, they should have caulked the bolt heads - which they say caused the leak
Old 08-26-2017, 08:41 AM   #10
Stripit

Yes, The 4 lag bolts were removed, the a/c unit rolled on its side, as there was plenty of power cord to allow that to happen on my unit. I needed to replace the seal as it was not stopping the slight water leak when it rained hard. I purchased the foam/rubber type material on a roll about 3 inches wide and maybe 15 ft long somewhere? I removed the old seal, came up off the roof top very easy. Cleaned the roof at the seal area well, cut the new seal stuff to fit tight. Used an automotive black rubber sealer to fill in the seams where I cut to stop any water from creeping through anywhere. Then used a rv sealant, forgot the name to fill the bolt holes and about 1/2 an inch around each bolt. Then set the a/c unit back down and actually used my torque wrench to torque the bolts to whatever the speck called for and then a touch more. Never had a leak again. If you over tighten you squish the seal down and it could leak, the seal needs to seal, but not be crushed. That was how i did it. I don't think from start to finish it was more than 45 minutes. Also a 1 man job. My wife would NOT go up on the roof, so just me.
1991 Avanti Conv
Old 08-26-2017, 01:56 PM   #11
rouxguy

Thanks Frank, I went retrieve my camper this morning and had a chance to ask the "technician" some pointed questions about their diagnosis and proposed fix. Not sure where they find or how they train them, if at all. I was floored by the responses given and justification for the new roof! Have a great weekend, Mike
Old 08-26-2017, 02:55 PM   #12
Stripit

Unfortunately it is in every vocation, folks get a job that they have had little or no training at and all of a sudden become experts. Just got an email this moring from a friend trying to build a summer cottage. He said every single trade he has hired has fallen short either on job performance or even showing up. So sad to watch it happen. Not how I was raised by my father, but things are changing I guess.
1991 Avanti Conv
Old 08-27-2017, 01:01 PM   #13
rouxguy

Ceiling Panel Replacement

Has anyone replaced a bedroom ceiling panel?

Are parts available and from what resource? At a minimum, cabinets, lighting, speakers would need to come down to gain access. Any insights would be appreciated, thanks!

2015 MS 38 RESB3
2015 GMC 3500 Denali DRW
Old 08-27-2017, 03:34 PM   #14
Stripit

what is causing the need to replace that panel? Stains or tears?
1991 Avanti Conv
Old 08-28-2017, 07:03 AM   #15
rouxguy

Stains, we tried Folex but it remove the stain
Old 08-28-2017, 08:42 AM   #16
Stripit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouxguy View Post
Stains, we tried Folex but it remove the stain
OK, so why the need to remove the headliner?
1991 Avanti Conv
Old 08-28-2017, 04:11 PM   #17
rouxguy

Folex did not remove the stain, sorry. That would be the reason to change the panel.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:48 PM   #18
Stripit

Ok what methods of cleaning have you done?
When I had the water stain from the leaking a/c seal I started with various spray can carpet cleaners. Then went with the Folex right out of the plastic spray bottle. Then went to the Bissell home type heated carpet cleaner using the upholstry attachement and only hot water. Then added the normal Bissell carpet cleaner and the Folex to the tank. That did the trick. The dark ugly black/grey water stain is gone. I'd say 95% so much so you have to really look to see any slight discoloration. Everyone said don't use the carpet cleaner on the ceiling? but that is what worked for me. If your ceiling panel is bad enough that you feel it needs to be replaced why not at least try the carpet cleaner? I would have rented one from Lowe's but I owned the Bissell.
1991 Avanti Conv
Old 01-06-2018, 12:27 PM   #19
rouxguy

Leaks from Scare Light

While in the process of tracking interior wall water intrusion near back right corner of our MS, I pulled the left exterior scare light. The light in recessed into a 7" round cut out in the exterior wall, held in place with 4 screws. Was surprised no find NO caulking at all on the exterior painted surface nor on the interior of the flange, but more surprised by the absence of a gasket on the back side!

The poor craftsmanship on this and other high end RV's continues to amaze me.

I really do feel sorry for folks who may not be handy and have to rely on services done by others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180106_113943.jpg (79.3 KB, 11 views)
Old 01-06-2018, 02:53 PM   #20
Stripit

My scare light was installed upside down, letting water enter through the screw holes and filled the light with water. It never went further, just into the light. I removed it and set it in correctly and resealed it up, but how hard is it to see the way it should have been put on. No only did the installer mess up, but the inspectors missed it too.

1991 Avanti Conv