Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2010, 12:03 PM   #1
kmosher6

Sleep Number Bed

My 2006 Mobile Suites bed has finally given up. I have the queen size bed and I'm looking at the Select Confort sleep number. I think the standard size Queen is the right one. What are the CON'S of the air matress in a RV? How long will it stay inflated boondocking without power? Anyone found a good price other than Camping World?

kmosher6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:08 PM   #2
BlueSkyRanch

No con's only good things. We have one in our Suites and in our house. Love, Love, Love them. The pressure should be checked when you change elevations and you must let some air out if you are are going to higher elevations to avoid a blowout. lol Air expands when you go to a higher elevation.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:05 PM   #3
terry and jo

Re: Sleep Number Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmosher6
My 2006 Mobile Suites bed has finally given up. I have the queen size bed and I'm looking at the Select Confort sleep number. I think the standard size Queen is the right one. What are the CON'S of the air matress in a RV? How long will it stay inflated boondocking without power? Anyone found a good price other than Camping World?
We also have the Select Comfort beds. We have one in the house and in the coach. My experience with it deflating is that it is pretty minimal. However, if you do have to deflate because you will be traveling to a higher elevation, then you would have to re-inflate. If you don't have a generator or an inverter, then you could have a problem from the very start. In our case, we have both a generator and an inverter.

Select Comfort makes two different models for RV's. When we were researching to buy our coach, we found out that DRV was using the better mattress with the thicker "pillow top". Jo thinks that she likes the RV version better than our home one.

As for buying, we found that we could get it cheaper through DRV rather than directly through Select Comfort. So, I would suggest you check with DRV and see if they can just sell you the Select Comfort and also check with Select Comfort themselves. Keep in mind the two different mattress have different thicknesses of pillow tops. So, check also with Camping World to see which one they carry so you are comparing apples to apples.

Also, check Select Comfort's website to see if they give the thicknesses of the mattress to make sure that it would clear the dresser in your coach.

Good luck.

Terry
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:36 PM   #4
SuiteCook

I agree with everything Terry says. We absolutely love our Sleep Number bed. Hubby likes his side really soft and I like mine much firmer. Only negative is that sitting on his side to put on socks is a bit tricky, but otherwise all is good!
SuiteCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:00 AM   #5
ldevries

Send a message via AIM to ldevries
We have the standard queen size and we are not at all impressed with it. It's ok. Just that you have to keep pumping it up or releasing the pressure due to difference in barometric pressure. Maybe we should have gotten the better pillow top.
ldevries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:18 PM   #6
jcasey

Sleep Number Bed

To be certain you identify the correct mattress sizes and names of sizes, here is a web site that might be helpful.

(We have been using a Sleep Number standard king size mattress to replace the short California King, which came with the DRV trailer, for nearly seven years. We are not, however, full-timers so seven years use is a bit misleading. In any case, the Sleep Number is holding up fine in the trailer. The Sleep Number we have at home is now more than a dozen years old and still in excellent shape.)

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CDcQ9QEwAg
2011 Ford 6.7 Powerstroke F350 Super Cab, AT, DRW, Lariat. with Ride-Rite Firestone Air Bags. Used to tow 2011 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3 #5568, which is equipped with Center Point Suspension, Trailair Hitch, Level-Up, dual pane windows, Satellite Finder, 17.5 Tires, Dual Air, Valley/Husky 24,000 5th wheel hitch.
jcasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:21 PM   #7
Gemstone

A word of caution...

We had and loved a Select Comfort on the farm....but I believe that about year 6, the pump went out. If I recall correctly, we were told that with the pro-rated warranty, our cost for a replacement pump was going to run about $400.
Now, 4 years later, with the bed relocated to a relatives home, we just use a compressor to fill the bed when we visit....not exactly state of the art, but we felt a once a year visit did not warrant a $400 investment.

Regards
Gemstone