Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2009, 05:44 AM   #1
RodeWorthy

Fresh water tank filling internally

I have a situation where my fresh water tank is filling internally while connected to cg water supply. The tank will eventually overflow and spill onto the ground from the filler tube. The flow is low but steady and noticeable. What is provided to prevent the external water supply from entering the fresh water tank? I believe the Shurflo 5.7 water pump has check valves to prevent backflow. Is this the only source of the problem? I also have the 'noisy' hot water heater check valve problem. The Shurflo 5.7 pump was replaced in January because it would not shut off -- just go to a very low speed and growl away. Replacement corrected that problem. Has my pumped failed again?

'07 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3910
Mor/ryde IS, Trailersaver TS3 hitch
Level-Up with Remote Control
4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
'08 Chevy 3500 dually Duramax/Allison
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:26 AM   #2
Motor31

Yep it's the one way valve on the pump. Ours has done it once and I'm monitoring it to see if it does so again before replacing the valve or pump.

2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:26 AM   #3
RodeWorthy

Thanks for the confirmation Mike. Mine is a constant problem. Hooked to cg water last night with tank close to empty and it is close to full this morning. I am at Walnut Ridge - they have a pump in stock. Now to find out if they will process the warranty for me.

4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
Old 04-15-2009, 09:02 AM   #4
Motor31

While you are there, would you ask a question for me? Could you check to see if they have the same shop manager as they did in 05? Just a point of curiosity for me. Also if you get a chance to go in the sales ofice say hi to Ralph for us. He was our salesman back then. Really nice guy.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
Old 11-27-2009, 10:17 PM   #5
delcirose

Send a message via AIM to delcirose
Well this post is is as close to my problem as you can get but in reverse. When the pump is on and the cg water is disconnected the water runs out of where the cg water connection is and I can not build up any pressure. When the cg water is connected it is not causing the holding tank to overfill. Just the exact reverse of what is going on with the first post. Mine always has to be something different. I have a 2004 36CK3 and I am still on the original pump. I always use an adjustable pressure valve set never higher than 50lbs. Especially since the time the pressure relief valve on the rear of the toilet decided to let go. So I do not think I have caused any problems by an over pressure situation. If it is the opinion of the forum members that my problem lies in the one way valve of the water pump, can this be replaced without needing to change the entire pump out??? Thank for any help you can provide...
MPRE 4" Exhaust
ATS Programmer
Exhaust Brake by Pac Brake
60 Gallon American Tank and Tool Box Aux Tank
B&W turn over ball hitch w/5th Wheel Companion hitch
Beautiful wife and Gorgeous Golden Retriever CJ
Love to travel and see this beautiful country of ours, see you out there!
delcirose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 12:22 AM   #6
billr

There should be a check valve where the city water comes in.
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 12:28 AM   #7
delcirose

What you say makes good sense. For a temporary work around until I can land someplace for a few days, I will find a plug to put into the Camp Ground water inlet so as to allow water pressure to build up with the pump. Thanks for your help. :D
MPRE 4" Exhaust
ATS Programmer
Old 11-28-2009, 09:56 AM   #8
Motor31

The check or back flow preventer valves can take a hit from the alkali in the hard water that a lot of states have. I just noticed that I will get a trickle from the shore water connection when using the pump. In the short term I'm going to use one of those inline water valves from the garden section. It's similar to the "Y" connector but just a single valve instead.

So far, exercising the pump once a month or so has seemed to clear up the fresh tank filling issue. It has not happened again. Crossing fingers it stays that way.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
Old 11-28-2009, 09:56 AM   #9
RonS

I also have the noisy check valve in hot water line. What will happen if it no longer does what its susposed to do?? I just changed it out a couple monts ago, now doing the humming sound.
06 MS 36TK3 #2473 w/(Phase II)side to side levelers, Trailair pin box w/Tri-Glide plate.
2011 Dodge 3500 CC 4x4 Diesel DRW Power Tuner guages etc
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 06:36 PM   #10
Red Ram

Another 07 Mobile Suite with the same problem as the first post. Sounds like an epidemic going on here. The really strange thing about it when the tank overfilled, some how water got up into the hydraulic pump area and caused it to short out and engage the up function on the front jacks. Flipping the up-down switch did nothing. I finally pulled the fuse just about the time the front jacks were fully extended.

Got it all dried out and has worked fine since, but I may put in an off-on toggle switch in line with the fuse so that I can shut off the power to the hydraulic pump. Arn't these RV's fun?
Old 11-28-2009, 09:27 PM   #11
delcirose

That is the one thing I am sure about. Things happen, so you have to go with the flow and not get too excited. They move down the road and they are a living moving thing subject to change at any moment. This forum is just a wealth of information to help us fellow travelers out. I like fixing things for myself when I can, it helps me to understand the Suites better when things go south. Thanks for all the great comments...Take care :D
MPRE 4" Exhaust
ATS Programmer
Old 11-29-2009, 10:59 AM   #12
bstark

The type of water mentioned in an earlier post will have more of an affect than realized to all plumbing components. While wintering in Yuma for a few winters with it's high calcium content water, I was continually addressing problems related to that type of water.

In general it mean't that I replaced the fixtures for both sinks, the toilet foot control valve, and the spray nozzle head on the cleaning hose for the toilet, the shower head and hose, the back-flow preventor in the black tank flush circuit behind the shower stall, a couple of the control taps in the plumbing behind the hook-up centre and even removed and cleaned the mixing valve in the Splendide washer/dryer. It got so I was considering buying CLR by the 45 gal drum and pumping it through the system once a month! ;-)
Old 02-01-2010, 12:25 PM   #13
Jim Keefer

Over the weekend I noticed my fresh water tank overflowing at the input cap.. The pump was hot, but was not pumping water .. I called Shur Flo and was told that if the internal parts on the pump side were broke to replace pump.. If the pump inside did not have broken parts that a new valve assembly repair kit could be purchased at an RV store. The part# would be 94-030-01 - Valve Assm.. After taking the pump apart the inners were broke, so I replaced the pump.. Currently no problems after one week with new pump..

Jim
2005 CK3 #1631
2004.5 Dodge Cummins
Quad, Laramie Pkg.
BD Exhaust Brake
S.O.I.T.C. Western Division
Jim Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #14
RodeWorthy

New water pump cured overflowing fresh water tank

Jim,
Good to know your replacement pump resolved your issue. Replacing the pump worked for me too. We are on our 3rd pump but so far this one is working well. Hope I am not jinxing it :)