Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2008, 10:14 PM   #1
suitediver

Kitchen sink

Anyone have a problem with the kitchen sink falling in?

I was shocked when I opened the door and noticed the sink had fallen in. It was only held up by glue and that had let loose sometime during the trip from CW to campground, 30 or so miles on freeway.

Our unit ,07 RS3 will be a year old on March 29.

Bobbie

suitediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:04 AM   #2
ponch

Send a message via AIM to ponch Send a message via MSN to ponch
Bobbie

Yes it has happened before.

If you will do a search here on 5th wheels you will find it.

Ponch

Mobile Suites 2005 36CK3 #2307 w/ auto levelers/ phase 2
Air Safe Hitch
HD TV in the basement and living room and bedroom
HD MOTO SAT Auto Ant on roof
pressure pro
ponch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:08 AM   #3
AlwaysHomeNow

Wow! What a bummer! :o

We've been living in ours since July '05. I never thought to look at that. When I told the DH, he wasn't surprised - said the Corvette quarter panels are glued on too.

I hope the repair stage goes well for you.
2005 36TK3 #2280
2005 Chevy 3500 Duramax/Allison DRW
Just the DH and I living wherever the contract is
AlwaysHomeNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:47 AM   #4
maltruck8

We were sitting watching tv a couple of nights ago, heard a noise, it was the kitchen sink falling. I called DT and was told that warranty is gone. They said that they would send a tube of the glue though. Because the original glue failed, we decided to go to Lowes and get a tube of construction glue. I cut 1"x4" to stand under each corner, until the glue cures. It took us about 1hour to re glue it. The boards will come out this afternoon, after sitting for more than 24hrs. We will see if it worked.
2001 Volvo (Suite-T) pulling 2007 MS 38RL3 #3347
https://community.webshots.com/user/m...host=community
maltruck8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:57 AM   #5
Motor31

Those doing the repairs please let us know how it worked out and what you used to do it with.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:13 PM   #6
maltruck8

We just finished removing the 1x4 braces and trying to push the sink down to check the glue. It appears to be fixed. I couldn't push it loose with my 255 lbs. Maybe it will hold a little longer than when DT did it. What we used for glue is; PL polyurethane premium construction adhesive that I purchased from Lowes. Our sink is the stainless steel. I ask in Lowes what to use and followed her suggestions.
2001 Volvo (Suite-T) pulling 2007 MS 38RL3 #3347
https://community.webshots.com/user/m...host=community
maltruck8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:53 PM   #7
MooseSuite

Faulty Sink Install

Just a few things:
check on the 08 suites as DD reinforced them on their mobiles. I reinforced ours when I did the repair adding bottom supports.
Ensure you have a good seal of silicone to prevent water entry.
I store the sink covers when towing. Just to be safe.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:55 PM   #8
suitediver

Kitchen sink

The sink is back in place. DH put 2 supports running the width of the island, screwed in at both ends, has now added the caulking. Will give it a try after it sets over night.

Bobbie
suitediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:14 AM   #9
RodeWorthy

Our turn for collapsed sink repair

This problem kind of got shuffled too low on of my things to do list. I intended to reinforce the undermounted sink before it fell off the counter top. Too late. Last night it just fell in while DW was doing the dishes. Must have been a heavy meal:)

Anyone have anything new to add about the repairs? I wonder how hard it will be to remove construction adhesive if we ever have to service/replace the sink?

I would appreciate detailed information on how reinforcements were done. We are in Roswell, NM - a good place to get repair stuff. This trip seems to be all about repairs though.

'07 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3910
Mor/ryde IS, Trailersaver TS3 hitch
Level-Up with Remote Control
4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
'08 Chevy 3500 dually Duramax/Allison
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:57 AM   #10
billr

Don,

I use clear silicone as suggested by Plumber friend. Did a fine job here in the house on Kit and bath under counter sinks. I could stand in them and they will go nowhere.

You can add a below stand to hold them secure while it drys 24hrs. Leave it there or not. Up to you.

Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:43 PM   #11
Diesel-Gypsy

Ditto on the silicone with the prop stick for 24 hours.

Good luck Don.

Rick
Old 11-24-2009, 09:19 PM   #12
Red Ram

Mine fell in when I left a 24 can carton of soda on the lid. After resealing the sink, I fabricated two angle iron brackets and screwed them to the center area of the sink. It was the only place that I could get to some solid wood and scrw the scews in. Been a year now and still holding. We also store the lids while traveling.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:47 AM   #13
RodeWorthy

Update on Kitchen sink repair

Thanks for the information re the repair and reinforcement of the sink.

Tom Peck will send me a two part epoxy which is an upgrade to what they used previously. As suggested by maltruck8 I did buy a tube of PL Poly Construction Adhesive. Also bought some lumber to make the supports for the drying process. I think I will wait for the epoxy to arrive. We will be settled in Benson in a few days.

That is if I can fix my dining slide which seems to have sheared a bolt tonight. It is stuck part way out and it is near freezing here in Las Cruces. I need to find out where to cut into the belly in order to do the necesarry surgery to replace the pin. I hope I have diagnosed this correctly. One side wants to come in but the other (near the door) will not budge. We are in a mess here tonight.

The sink covers are stored at home but I like the idea of reinforcement support under there. Thanks for the ideas.

4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
Old 11-25-2009, 07:56 AM   #14
billr

Don,

Too bad on the slide deal, you nailed it though. You have a sheared pin. It is at the fwd end of the slide. Open the belly up just at the aft corner of where the steps are towards the front tire. You will see the shaft in there and where the broken bolt is at. You may need to have Stella bump the slide sw to get it lined up again and pop out the rest of the broken pin. Just get a 1/4 SS bolt and you'll be back in business. Or any bolt you have that fits for now just to get going.

I had to move that slide in and out a few times by hand with the assist of the hyd when mine sheared to get set up and back on the road. It is possible if you have to get moving.

I think the epoxy on the sink they use is what causes the problem. Its too brittle and cracks and shears after a while on the road. Silicone never hardens and stays flexible but strong. Home depot and your set!

Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:29 AM   #15
RodeWorthy

Slide and sink repairs

Bill thanks for the info.

According to Greg at DRV the belly material is scored for a cutout at the location of the shaft and pin. I also have your location to work with. It is cold here this morning but not freezing. I dug out the coveralls - should have brought the insulated ones :) Hopefully we do not have a broken gear or missing teeth on the rack. I can't get that end of the slide moving even with the help of the hydraulic. That may be an indication of additional problem. Will know soon enough and I will post the result.

For the record, the material originally used on my sink was a mastic material (white in color) that simply got to dry to hold on. It peeled off like a piece of tape. The epoxy that is being sent is supposed to be an improvement. As in all epoxys it is a two part product that is mixed as it is dispensed. I have not heard of this problem happening on any of the newer units (post 2008) but maybe too soon for that. I will make the decision after the slide is operational to go ahead with the sink repair with material on hand or wait for the epoxy. The DW factor may come into play here. Not happy without her sink.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:04 PM   #16
RGordon

For those of you that think you have the solution by applying silicone will result in failure once again at some given time. I applied wooden braces underneath the sink and applied clear silicone around the top edges of the sink so water would not penetrate. Silicone will break down in matter of time turning loose. That is why it is not recommended to use on RV's. This is just my opinion and experiences in the past.
2007 Mobile Suite 38RL3 #3698
RGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:21 AM   #17
Motor31

I thought they were just using the silicone as a sealant rather than the primary adhesive. I could be wrong but that's what I intend to do when my sink drops. I hope that won't be for quite a while though. (crossing everything I have 2 or more of)
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:06 PM   #18
bstark

Don; you're getting it up the waazoo this trip but take heart every one of us has had a trip like yours! My tip; clean the underside of the counter material thoroughly of all old material and use some alcohol. I'd use a little rotary tool with a sanding disc to give whatever adhesive you choose to use a good virgin surface to grab onto. You're going to be familiar with the process due to your nautical experience.

On the broken shear pin thingy, a ratchet strap hooked into the hole in the frame the rack runs in maight ease the closing of the slidout and the same ratchet strap hooked to the motorhome next door might get it open the rest of the way for you too! Ooooops!

Oh by the way it's 72 degrees here in Lakeland Florida - - Now that was nassssty!

Question: - if a boat is a hole in the water you throw money into, what are these things? Haaar!
Old 12-04-2009, 01:31 AM   #19
RodeWorthy

Update on sink repair

I could not wait any longer for the sink repair kit to arrive from DRV so I went ahead and used the PL adhesive recommended in any earlier post. To be fair to DRV my call was the day before Thanksgiving and my shipping information went to Tom Peck at the old ligatel email address. I have noted Brenda's post that shows he now has a drvsuites.com email address. Louisville show was also on their minds.

The attached picture shows the method I used to secure the sink while the adhesive dries. It was also very useful in aligning the sink and holding it in position while I applied the goop. The adhesive was easy to work with and cleaned up well. I will follow up with a bead of silicone as a sealant. While I had the opportunity I completely removed the sink and did a thorough cleaning of the sink and prepared the mounting surface as Bruce suggested. Also took advantage of the opportunity to clean out the calcium chips and debris from the check valve in the kitchen faucet outlet fitting. In fact, I decided to remove the check valve entirely. Good flow there now.

As a side note, the slide problem was a broken bolt in the crossshaft and I got that repaired. Thanks to Bill for the correct spot to make the incision in the belly. Surgery is complete and I have resealed that area too. Bruce, there was no need to connect to the motorhome next door :) I was lucky enough to get the hole lined up with a couple of bumps of the switch by Stella. I also found an adjustable wrench on the square tubing is useful to help with the alignment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4320_sink_repair_cr_jig_490.jpg (81.7 KB, 202 views)

Old 12-04-2009, 08:01 AM   #20
golf_bears

RodeWorthy

What a great looking fix!!! Great job!!!

Where are you hiding out now?

We’re on I40 in AR heading west towards AZ. This section of I40 is really rough and I figure our kitchen sink is going to drop out at any time now.

If I knew where you were at, I could drop by and get some needed first hand education on how to reinstall it correctly????? LOL!!!

Again, great job!

Take care and drive safe.

golf_bears is offline   Reply With Quote