Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2010, 01:38 PM   #1
Motor31

Early model Trail air pin box issue

I guess my rig was telling me it did NOT want to leave the cool temperatures of Washington State.

We got parked in Kansas just 30 miles south of KC at Rutladers park, a nice friendly big rig style place. I unhitched the rig and happened to look at the pin box. What I saw was a big BIG crack on the top of the box right behind where the shock mount connects to the top jaw of the pin box. It went all the way through the pin box and the front of the same area was pushed or dished in towards the trailer. I was not happy about that.

I called Trail air and the nice lady informed me that I was out of warranty, no kidding! DUH!! it was just past the 5th year anniversary date. She asked me some questions about the pin box.

Does the crack go through the pin box?
Does the front end look "pushed in"?
Does the front edge of the top of the pin box have a curved "lip" on it.

The first 2 were yup and the last one was nope. She said that I had an "early model" pin box. Later units have a curved lip on the bottom edge of the upper jaw behind the shock. That gives additional strength when they are used on bigger heavier rigs (like MS trailers). This is most common in "L" model pin boxes. Mine is an M18 or medium length. In any case, it is not uncommon.

The solution is simple, weld the crack and install some gussets to reinforce the forward lip and shock mount area and you are good to go.

I called a welder in the area referred by a local mobile RV tech. He set up a time and date to do the repair onsite. He said he would have a few gussets made up to be ready to install. In the mean time I removed the air bag to clear the area for welding. Simple, just deflate and remove 2 bolts on top.

When the welder arrived we also removed the lower jaw. Two bolts and tap the "axle" out. We used a hydraulic jack to push the front end of the pin box back out straight as it was to begin with. Then he welded the crack. Since this was a medium length pin box there was no place to weld the gusset inside the jaw so it would not wear on the air bag. We decided to place it on the top outside. I now have a velociraptor pin box with a crest. Pix are below. Fairly inexpensive and easy repair. You can see there is no curved lip on the forward edge of the pin box.

He also added to the welds on both sides of the upper shock mount as the original welds were a bit of "cold welds" and not really professional quality. Lots of spatter around the bead. That was another comment made by the lady at Trail air as well.

Check the front of the top pin box and see if there is a curved lip. If not, consider getting some gussets made to reinforce the box especially if you have an "L" model pin box on the rig.

If yours does crack remember that it's the lower jaw that holds the push pull forces. The forward shock mount just deals with the up and down motions so it will not just break apart and send the trailer on it's own down the road.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pin_box_repair_3_385.jpg (53.6 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg pin_box_repair_2_785.jpg (57.6 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg pin_box_repair_116.jpg (44.5 KB, 175 views)

2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
golf_bears

Boy that guy sure knows how to weld, great job!!

golf_bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:48 AM   #3
Huck

Send a message via ICQ to Huck
I have the same pinbox.
I suspected that is what would happen if I didn't keep enough air in the bag. And the shock bottomed out on road bumps a few times.
Was that the case for you?
2005 RE3 MS #2163
2006 F-350 CC 4X4
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:22 AM   #4
Motor31

Nope it wasn't an issue of bottoming out because the upper shock mount was pulled downward to cause the crack. When we straightened the bent forward lip it pushed the upper shock mount upward, not downward. It's now in the proper position as it was before the crack.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
Old 08-20-2010, 05:03 PM   #5
bstark

Mine did it also but it was covered by Trailair who sent me an entire new upper body with the front curl. I had already welded gussets underneath at a 45 degree angle outward so the bag wouldn't hit when it compressed but I wasn't happy with that solution so contacted Trailair and the nice young girl sent me a new one. This would have been back in '07' I believe.

My issue was one of rebound or perhaps the weight of the rear of the truck hanging off the pin-box when it used to dump it's air overnight while still hooked up. To my knowledge from talking with other owners with this problem, the only ones of these older style pinbox bodies to show these effects were all installed on trailers being towed by MDT"s or HDT's.

I believe the heavier weights of the rears of these vehicles 'overwhelmed' the rebound valving within the shock allowing it to hyperextend whenever the bums of our trucks dropped quickly.

Those front shocks must be pretty robust items when you consider the 1/4" thick plate bent inwards before the shock pulled itself apart.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:15 AM   #6
Motor31

I unhitch the trailer when we park. I don't let the trailer and jacks try to hold the bed of the truck up if the truck bags deflate. It only takes a minute to do so and as long as I don't move the truck around the park all I have to do is simply back up and lock the hitch again. This came about from rebound going down the road. The tech also said this was rather common in the older style hitches that did not have the reinforcing curled forward lip. Since most folks aren't using MDT's or HDT's I kind of find it hard to figure that those would be causing a "common" issue.

Given the condition of the roads with the significant dips in pavement and washboard wear pattern I'd be more inclined to count on those conditions rather than one of being at rest to cause this. She also said this only happens with the heavier trailers the hitches are mounted on.

2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"