Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2010, 04:42 PM   #1
JohnandMarla

mobile suite hitch

Ok, i know this has been beat to death and i do understand the issues related to towing behind the 5er. However i am looking for a shop to install a receiver hitch on my 36 TK3, i will have less that 300 lb toung weight and be pulling less than 1000 lbs. We are in Northern Colorado and would like to here from you if have or know of a good shop that can help us out. We contacted a dealer in Denver and was given a name, whom i called but did not get a warm fuzzy from them so here i am looking again. I would like to find someone that knows what they are talking about. Thanks for your time.

JohnandMarla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:47 PM   #2
wingnut60
Site Team

welders

You might check with one of these:

http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/se...ing&srchType=A

It would be a crap shoot to know who was a good welder, but I'll be tyou can figure it out by talking to them.

Joe

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:13 PM   #3
terry and jo

JohnandMarla,

While I am not anywhere near northern Colorado, I did a little search to find what I might.

Here is a link to some Better Business Bureau member welders in that area. I know nothing about any of them, so you'll have to depend on your warm, fuzzy sensor.

http://www.bbb.org/northern-colorado...g-repair-shops

One in Fort Collins with what appears to be a pretty rounded ability in welding:

http://joescustom.com/default.aspx

Of course, all this is pretty general, since we don't know for sure where you are and for how long. But, good luck in the hunting.

Terry
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:38 PM   #4
JohnandMarla

Hey thanks for the info. so far i have sent out a couple of request and will see what i get back. Also, found a shop on the BBB in Loveland so i will stop by and see what they have to say, my only concern is their web site says they only bolt on and from what i have been reading on the forum that will not do, but i will check with them any ways.

Again thanks for the help so far.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:23 AM   #5
Motor31

Bolt on applications won't work on the hollow thin wall tube frames that are used in our rigs.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:35 AM   #6
JohnandMarla

Mike, Yes, from what i read i was pretty sure i need to have it welded on. I see you are towing with your 5er, i would like to know if you know how and what type of install was done on your coach. The only person i have talked to wants to bolt on and i was not good with that, so it would help if i could give the shops more info for what i am looking to have done. I think i read that someone did some extra bracing i just don't know that was and how far they went on the frame.

Thank you, John
Old 08-19-2010, 09:26 AM   #7
Motor31

Hi there,

I didn't post the shop that did mine since it was in Tucson, AZ and you are in Colorado. I used a trailer fabrication shop that makes cargo trailers and works on all kinds of trailers. They fabricated a mount and then the bracing for it all welded to the underside of the rig. I can look up the name but they are not a large company and deal with the jobs on an individual basis rather than a kit operation.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:01 AM   #8
JohnandMarla

That's ok i was just gathering all the info i could before i started checking more shops. I did get the name of a local shop that is highly recomended so i am going to stop by and talk with them. Thanks for the help.