Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2007, 12:49 AM   #1
bagpipes6

Quality Control at Doubletree??

Hi. i'm a new member and this is my first post.

Just read the post on 'Underbelly' and wanted to ask the general concensus of Doubletrees quality in general. I will be soon be in the market for a fulltime rv and have pretty well narrowed it down to the Elite 38RLS over the Travel Supreme Select and Teton Royal brands.

The post on Underbelly made me question the actual quality of Doubletree RV's. I know you cannot judge by one persons experience. What are others opinions of Elites quaility in general, and feedback on other brands.

Thanks in advance for any input. Happy rving!

John

Old 05-04-2007, 12:22 PM   #2
Hobo

Re: Quality Control at Doubletree??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagpipes6
The post on Underbelly made me question the actual quality of Doubletree RV's. I know you cannot judge by one persons experience. What are others opinions of Elites quaility in general, and feedback on other brands.

John
The Elites are built on the same line with the same people as the rest so I would assume your going to get the same quality. What that is who knows as some are very pleased while others are not. I guess it is the luck of the draw.
Rick

Lemon Tree 04 MS 36TK3 #0886
Hughes Net
Fulltimer since 1999
Find me at https://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=2000
Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 02:19 PM   #3
47hook

I've been RV'ing since 1978, 4 TT, 1 MH, 1 5er with a second one, a MS, to be delivered this month. Everyone of the units had issues with them. Most items I just fixed, sometimes with parts sent to me under warranty. An RV by it's nature is a series of compromisses. I don't expect it to be built with the same solid structure as a stay in one place house.

Having read just about every post on this forum, it appears that what some are calling Quality Control issues are really a matter of expectations not met. Is it a QC issue if wires and hydraulic lines are run loosely under, around and through frame members and lay on the underbelly? Or a matter of getting the job done quickly and keeping costs down while not compromising overall functionality? Aircraft are made so every single wire, tube, etc is attached to some sort of structure for safety and reliabilty needs that are not present in an RV.

Other QC complaints I believe relate to the components installed in a unit that the manufacturer obtains from vendor sources, such as the frame. The assembler of these components, DT, should insure the quality of the individual components to the best of it's ability but shouldn't necessarily be blamed for another manufacturer's hidden flaws. If too many units are flawed, then maybe another vendor should be used or have the current vendor supply components made to DT's specific requirements. But, there are just so many suppliers of certain parts.

To me QC issues are more of how did they assemble the components - fit and finish, trim, cleanliness of the areas normally accessed while using the unit, did they select quality components (Microwave, TV, stereo stuff), is the unit livable in design and execution, are straight lines straight, are components attached securely, etc. The fact that a component from a vendor fails to perform is one issue, does DT stand up to the plate and fix the problem for the customer is the important one. And is there a feed back process to correct issues that are recurring too frequently?

Everything that's manufactured has the possibility of failing before it's time. I have expectations that the unit will wear well with normal useage and care. I also have expectations that the unit won't be perfect. Kind of like me, not quite perfect but working on it.

I am not trying to berate those that have brought up issues of QC; it has given me lots of good info on what to look for, how to fix, etc. I have just given my idea of what QC is in regards to RV's. I will use a lot of the info gathered here and on other forums for my PDI, but it probably won't be as in depth or time consuming as some others might be. I will let y'all know of my "luck of the draw" with our new MS.

Now if it would just GET HERE!!!
2013 MS 38RESB3 #6393, modified with ES stuff & Garnet Paint

"The older I get, the better I was!"
47hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 02:56 PM   #4
Mikey

AMEN!
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:46 PM   #5
sigo'suite

47hook, great post!! Kudo's from the "Amen Corner"!
sigo'suite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 10:55 PM   #6
bagpipes6

Thank you for your insight on QC 47hook. Much appreciated. I beleive all manufactures have some sort of problem that has to be addressed. As you say, it's how the amufacturer looks after the problem that counts .

Just general experience with trailers and 5th wheels over the years, water leakage problems would be my #1 concern. They can take us to the moon but can't stop water leaking into a rv. This makes my choice for an aluminum frame and fiberglass roof hoping this will help eliviate this eventual problem. Any thoughts on this.

Again, thank you for the input.

John
Old 05-06-2007, 12:25 AM   #7
47hook

bagpipes6, if you check you'll probably find some have had issues with the fiberglass top/screws on the Elite Suites. Haven't heard any more issues for a while. You are definitely right on water leaks being a big concern, but it is a problem that can eventually be corrected unlike 2 Da Wds fire loss (glad the new unit is working out for you). My concern with water leakage would center around your climate. Lived for almost 17 years in Fairbanks and there the concern was for ice daming. So, I think I would look at shielding the roof from snow/ice build up during the winter. If IIRC there were some other issues of water leakage around some of the windows, again nothing lately.

We have traded an Alfa 5er for our MS (which I really hope gets in this week so we can make our 1st scheduled trip to Lake Tahoe the 18th of this month) which we lived in full time for about 2 years in NC. Lots of scary thunderstorms with 0 leaking. Had other minor issues that for the most part I took care of.

I think what I would concern myself with is getting a unit that fit my needs and pocket book and not be overly concerned with possibilities of problems. A reputable manufacturer should stand behind their product. All products have the possibility of issues; a manufacturer doesn't go around trying to build a product that is junk. Cost is not always an indicator, but it sure helps. Also I've read posts that talk about manufacturer's picking "the lowest cost bidder" on items such as the Lippert frames. I hate to burst anyones bubble, but just about everything we buy is built that way. Military equipment, airline components, etc are generally bid that way, with performance requirements that are supposed to be met.

So, shop around, ask questions, keep track of who says what and how they say it on issues that you are concerned about and then just buy your RV and enjoy life...

Old 05-06-2007, 12:26 AM   #8
47hook

bagpipes6, if you check you'll probably find some have had issues with the fiberglass top/screws on the Elite Suites. Haven't heard any more issues for a while. You are definitely right on water leaks being a big concern, but it is a problem that can eventually be corrected unlike 2 Da Wds fire loss (glad the new unit is working out for you). My concern with water leakage would center around your climate. Lived for almost 17 years in Fairbanks and there the concern was for ice daming. So, I think I would look at shielding the roof from snow/ice build up during the winter. If IIRC there were some other issues of water leakage around some of the windows, again nothing lately.

We have traded an Alfa 5er for our MS (which I really hope gets in this week so we can make our 1st scheduled trip to Lake Tahoe the 18th of this month) which we lived in full time for about 2 years in NC. Lots of scary thunderstorms with 0 leaking. Had other minor issues that for the most part I took care of.

I think what I would concern myself with is getting a unit that fit my needs and pocket book and not be overly concerned with possibilities of problems. A reputable manufacturer should stand behind their product. All products have the possibility of issues; a manufacturer doesn't go around trying to build a product that is junk. Cost is not always an indicator, but it sure helps. Also I've read posts that talk about manufacturer's picking "the lowest cost bidder" on items such as the Lippert frames. I hate to burst anyones bubble, but just about everything we buy is built that way. Military equipment, airline components, etc are generally bid that way, with performance requirements that are supposed to be met.

So, shop around, ask questions, keep track of who says what and how they say it on issues that you are concerned about and then just buy your RV and enjoy life...

Old 03-26-2021, 08:26 PM   #9
bigbird272

First trip in my 2019 Mobile Sites I hit heavy rain. Rain got into belly somehow and soaked the insulation. Bottom started to fall out. Small screws with no washers. Material pulled through. Brand new trailer, first trip. Guess they weren't designed for rain. Not impressed!!!
bigbird272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 10:53 AM   #10
porthole

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird272 View Post
First trip in my 2019 Mobile Sites I hit heavy rain. Rain got into belly somehow and soaked the insulation. Bottom started to fall out. Small screws with no washers. Material pulled through. Brand new trailer, first trip. Guess they weren't designed for rain. Not impressed!!!
Disappointing beginning. Hope it gets better for you from here out.
2020 F-450
porthole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 11:13 AM   #11
bigbird272

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagpipes6 View Post
Hi. i'm a new member and this is my first post.

Just read the post on 'Underbelly' and wanted to ask the general concensus of Doubletrees quality in general. I will be soon be in the market for a fulltime rv and have pretty well narrowed it down to the Elite 38RLS over the Travel Supreme Select and Teton Royal brands.

John
As far as I'm concerned their quality control and workmanship is sub par. First trip out sink started dropping, valance above couch fell off. Three screws on each side screwed into fibre board oneach side, no backing material. Hit rain filling basement with water. My final venting on this subject.
bigbird272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 12:19 PM   #12
Notanlines

Uh, Bagpipes hasn't been on the site for 13 years. He's probably not concerned with any of our problems.

Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote