Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2006, 06:30 AM   #1
Hope

Generator in Mobile Suites

Has anyone ever ordered a Mobile Suites 36TK3 with a generator or put one in? I was told by the dealer that most people did not, yet I really want to have one installed. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-25-2006, 07:22 AM   #2
john

Gen

Why not get a couple of Honda's 2000????

Old 04-25-2006, 09:16 AM   #3
Motor31

Hope.

I had a rig (Excel) with an installed generator in it. It was propane fueled and used it at about a gallon per hour for a 3600 Onan. I used it exactly once in the 2.5 years I had the trailer.

What do you intend for the generator? When it comes down to it, for boondocking in the winter all of your electricity needs can be met by a single Honda 2000. I now because that's exactly what I have done in the past. It handled the TV, computers, 120 volt lights and the microwave all simultaneously. For AC usage 2 of the Honda 2000's will run all that and the AC and each one will run for about 5 to 6 hours on less than a gallon of gas each. Now that propane is up to $3.00 and more in some areas, a gas generator is by far more economical not to mention cheaper to purchase innitially.

The generator box will also take up a significant portion of your basement and the built in generator will add quite a bit of weight to your rig which will drop your ccc (cargo carrying capacity) accordingly. Since the MS units already come out of the factory rather heavy you'll want to save weight capacity.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:18 AM   #4
Motor31

AAAArrrgh, I just saw a typo in my post and the admin hasn't allowed editing functions in this threead, sigh.Yup I kin spel gud at tymes! :P
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:36 AM   #5
CampingCaptain

Send a message via AIM to CampingCaptain Send a message via Yahoo to CampingCaptain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor31
I now
I am shocked and appalled by your poor spelling. LOL! Just kidding. I read your post under Suggestions and Comments first. I had to look hard to find this one. Don't sweat the small stuff. Most of us can read typoese.
Vietnam Era Veteran
Proud parents of a US Marine
Retiring in 2007 and planning to go full-time
CampingCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:38 AM   #6
CampingCaptain

Send a message via AIM to CampingCaptain Send a message via Yahoo to CampingCaptain
Oops, make that Comments & Suggestions. LOL! We do need an edit button in this section.
Vietnam Era Veteran
Proud parents of a US Marine
Retiring in 2007 and planning to go full-time
CampingCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:23 AM   #7
Hope

Honda, Yamaha ect.

Thanks for all the information. I presently have a Honda generator, but I would like a fix mounted unit because I'm tired of loading and unloading mine. May sound silly, but I have a heavy generator!
I was thinking of a diesel generator.
I appreciate any input!
Old 04-25-2006, 01:28 PM   #8
hitchup

For the same price as 2 Honda 2000si Gen, we went with a Yamaha 6600 gas. We only bought a generator because while in North Charleston last summer, the power went out in the whole park for 3 Sundays in a row. We were forced to evacuate & go shopping just to stay cool. We tried the biggest Gen (a 5000w) they had from HomeDep & it wouldn't run our 15,000 low profile AC unit. It went back real quick. The 4th Sunday, only our row lost power & we decided we would get a bigger generator as soon as we had the money.
We must have had a pretty mild winter in NC, because we didn't lose power once. But we did test runs on both the 5th wheels: TV's, furnace, space heaters, fans, dryer, whatever I could turn on. I can't imagine the Honda would run a MS or ES, winter or summer.
We haven't installed it in our basement gen area. It rides in the pickup bed behind the toolbox, out-of-site under the rollup bed cover. It used to sit under one of the slides, but they are HEAVY & when we relocated, didn't want to drag it down. We use the Gen space for a few tools & misc.
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:39 PM   #9
berghild

Send a message via AIM to berghild
DID YOU EVER SOLVE YOUR GENERATOR PROBLEM WE ARE GETTING READY TO PUT A HONDA 3000 IN OUIR ELITE WUITES...TOMORROW...WILL HAVE TO CHECK OUT THE RETURN POLICY. THANKS CYNDY
EDGE CHIP,exhaust brake,ATS tranny, ATS turbo, AFE sir filter
ETC
2008 36TK3 ES3917/no granite
berghild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:29 PM   #10
rotaxman

Gen

I have a Honda 4500 EXT and wish I had bought the 2 2000 that's the best way for me to go any way. They are easy to handle don't make much noise and are very fuel efficent. Plus they don't take up much space. I have no complaint with my 4500 except for the weight and size you just not going to load and unload it. It stays on the truck.

If I'm not mistaken Billr has a 3000 Honda that he installed in his Suite and he did a very nice job of installing it and not to be speaking for him but I think he is very satisfied with his Honda.

As always good camping

Joyce and Jerry

2000 F 450 V10
5.38 gears trailer special
Automatic 4R100
20000# Reese Hitch
Trail Air Suspension and Pin Box with Tri Glide
Honda 4500 ex
Hughes Internet
Garmin 2720 talking GPS
Pressure Pro
Junk frame 2009 38TKSB3 #4750