Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
Nurse2012

Fulltimer looking to upgrade and needing help!

Hi! My husband and I are fulltimers. We will continue to be for the next 1 1/2-2 years while I finish nursing school. After that we will find a house, but will continue to travel a lot and I will use it for travel nursing assigments. Currently have a bunk house style bumper tow and are looking for a fifth wheel. He loves the ones with the big open living rooms, however we really need one that has a second bed/bath room. We have a 6yr. old daughter that stays every other weekend and possibly more frequently in the near future. She needs her own room, but we also need a family area. Now we often do our puzzels and game playing on the floor in the kitchen area. We have found a 2008 Fleetwood that has a nice bedroom for us and for her, as well as a second half bath, but only one slide out in the kitchen/living room area. We have been looking seriously for about two weeks now and haven't found anything that even compares. There are beautifully, well made fifth wheels, that would require her to sleep in the living room, or models with two bedrooms that require the living area to be completely sacrificed. Today we found floor plans for a silverback 35k by cedar creek/forest river. It seems to have both the back bed&bath rooms as well as two slide outs in the living room/kitchen area. They do not seem as sturdy or well made as some of the Jayco models though. So, I appeal to the more seasoned fulltimers. Any recommedations? I know we are asking a lot, and we are willing to compromise, but don't want to, if it does actually exist.
Thank you!
Nurse 2012

Nurse2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
Motor31

I think your best bet is simply to do a google search using the term bunkhouse rv manufacturers and start looking around. I know that travel supreme used to make a real nice one as a friend has one and I'm jealous after seeing it. Unfortunately they are out of business now.

IIRC Keystone specifically states in their warranty that their units are NOT built for full timing and will void the warranty if used in that manner. I seem to recall some complaints in the Trailer Life ombudsman column regarding claims that were denied.

I would not consider jayco brand for full time use. I do know they took control of the plans and jigs for the old travel supreme brand but I have neither seen any built by them nor heard of any yet.

Most of the real full time brands like Excel, Carriage and New Horizons are going to be pricey. I do know that New Horizons will build to suit but you WILL pay pretty high for it as they consider themselves pretty "upper crust" manufacturers. Another custom builder, Spacecraft, will also build to suit but they cost quite a bit too. These units also require substantial tow vehicles, usually in excess of a 1 ton PU's capabilities for safe towing.

2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:39 PM   #3
hitchup

There's a recent thread on the Fulltimer's Forum on RV.net using a TT for fulltiming.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/24101413.cfm

We tried a 5er that said on the brochure it was for Fulltimers. But they neglected to say, not if you spend summers in Charleston, SC and winter near the mountains of NC. So we traded that first 5er for a Suite as soon as we found one in our price range.
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:51 PM   #4
Nurse2012

Thank you for the suggestions!
Nurse2012 is offline   Reply With Quote