Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
nomadgirl

Montana to a Mobile Suites - Is it worth it?

Hi,
My husband and I own a 2007 Montana 3400RL and have been living full-time in it the entire 4 years.
There are a couple of thing that we would like to have in a fifth wheel that we don't now. A separate bathroom, a little more storage, and better insulation.

We have recently come across a 2009 Mobile Suites RSSB3 for sale and are thinking about trading ours in for a unit like this.

Does anyone have experience, advise that they can share that might help us in our decision?

Would this be considered a good upgrade to a better fifth wheel?

Also, we own a Dodge Ram 3500 long bed truck. We have looked at the numbers and it seems to be enough truck to haul a unit like that. Any thoughts on this ?

Thank you,

Susan and Steve
http://www.rvtravelpros.com

nomadgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
tajmahaulers

My wife and I recently traded into a 2006 Mobile Suites 36TK3 and we're real happy with it. We traded a McKenzie Medallion 34RLT which is a nice coeach and we were real happy with it but we're liking the MS better. The hydraulic leveling is one of the things we like best... much easier than the electric front and hand-crank rear that we had. It also is much more stable (my wife used to complain that she was on the verge of seasickness when I walked around...) I've never owned a Montana but, judging from price, I think the MS would be a step up. We're thrilled with ours.

tajmahaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:24 PM   #3
BlueSkyRanch

Last year we traded a 38' Discovery Diesel motor home for our 38' MS and we love it. The MS is extremely quiet and well insulated. Our 38' weighs around 18,000# with almost 4,000 pin weight. We also bought an F350 dually and it does a great job of towing the MS. I think you will enjoy the MS.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
terry and jo

Susan and Steve,

According to some information that I had from the 2009 model year, the 36RSSB3 in the Mobile Suites has a GVWR of 17,500 lbs. IF it has the Magnum Suspension System with 17.5" tires, it is rated at 18,500 lbs. Keep that in mind when looking at the weights for your truck.

The Mobile Suites would be a better unit than the Montana. They have the thicker walls and insulation, so they would be a better unit should you be caught "further north" than normal during the winter. Precautions still have to be taken, but they are good units. I know a number of DRV owners have gone back to buy other DRV products.

Good luck with your looking. If you are considering the used ones, also check out this website to a used dealer in Elk City, OK that buys the DRV units at auction (usually after a repossession), checks them out and cleans them, and then resells them. They have sold a number of used Mobile Suite in the last year and a half.

http://www.rollingretreats.com/

They may not have what you are interested in right now (both units look too heavy for the Dodge), but keep checking back. Or, you can contact them via their website to see what they might be getting in.

Terry
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:57 PM   #5
Gemstone

That is a lot of trailer for a LDT. Many folks start out with a 1 ton, me included.....I quickly learned my '05 Dodge wasn't enough truck to suit me.

Regards
Gemstone
Old 02-27-2011, 10:49 AM   #6
Motor31

Compared to a Montana, yes the MS would be a step up. Insulation might be better if the MS has double pane windows and upgrades.

As far as your truck is concerned it is very doubtful you have enough truck. Dodge has the lowest tow ratings historically of the big 3. It is impossible to tell you what your capabilities are since you posted no info about the truck. You need to examine the documentation from the truck and make sure you have all the options on it identified before you can tell what the unit is rated for. Do not forget the rating was made with a 150 lb driver and half fuel only so options and load in the truck subtract from it's capacity.

The MS tends to be VERY nose heavy averaging about 4000 plus lbs depending on model. The trailers themselves are also heavy and not geared towards light duty trucks like yours.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:49 AM   #7
hitchup

For 2009 models, DRV did some insulation upgrades and changes in interior. The R-values for insulation are better in our 09 than what was in our 06 Elite Suite was. The carpet should be the mini-shag and the windows should be the frameless. All improvements as far as I'm concerned.

For us the RSSB is one of the best FT living floorplans. We love the sidebath and prefer working in an Island kitchen. We had our 38TKSB3 changed into a 38RSSB3, because in 2009, the Island did not exist in a 38'.

We began FTing in a middle range 2005 Pilgrim Open Road which was comparable to the Montana's at the time. But moved up to a Suite within 10 mos because the areas we were in the OR couldn't keep us (me) comfortable.

If you plan on continuing to FullTime and if the price on the 2009 is right, I'd would say you won't be sorry to make a trade UP.

Vickie
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:07 PM   #8
GlennWest

Just for consideration on weight. My 32 TK3, as I tow it, empty black, gray, half full fresh, comes in at nearly 17,000 lbs. We are full time also. Ours is also the smallest MS made. I am over my truck's ratings 900lbs. Came across scales at 24,400. 23,500 is GMC rating. jfyi. God bless.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:04 PM   #9
missourijan

Really not trying to be a smarta** but you're asking DRV owners if the MS is worth an upgrade from a Montana?? We think it is. My suggestion would be to look at any resale site for 5th wheels and see how few used DRV's are for sale compared to Montana. We are a pretty loyal bunch because we like our units, good floor plans, good factory support and many owners buying new ones. Sorry, gotta say it, you don't have enough truck. We have a 2005 Dodge 3500 long bed and it is just enough for our Select Suite that has a GVWR of 15,200. Our Dodge's gross tow rating is 23,000. An MS can weigh 18 or 19k loaded. Good luck & safe travels.
2012 Mobile Suite #5942
2012 Ford F350 Super duty
"We used to work, now we workamp"
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:30 PM   #10
terry and jo

Susan and Steve,

Since the weight issue came up. please allow me to direct you to another Fifth Wheel Forum thread where Stacey (Stripit) posted the results of weighing DRV models in the past several years. He is one that will be at a number of rallies and weigh different folks' trucks and trailers.

The administrator of the Fifth Wheel Forums posted the thread and included a link to a pdf file showing those weights. There is one 2009 36RSSB3 among those Stacey has weighed. It is down towards the bottom of the pdf document. Also, pay attention to Stacey's last comments in that 100% of SRW trucks (single rear wheels) were overweight and 60% of DRW trucks were as well.

A lot of times people talk about how their "insert brand here" does just fine pulling half of California. What many don't consider is the stopping power. This is my opinion only, but I would not feel safe with anything smaller than a Ford F450. With ours (a 2008 with 4:88 rear axle ratio and 19.5" wheels), I feel comfortable.

For what it is worth, Jo and I researched RV's (both motorhomes and fifth wheels) for more than two years before ordering our Mobile Suites. I think it is worth it because it will be our home for many years.

The thread to Stacy's information:

http://www.5thwheelforums.com/forums...pic.php?t=3153

Terry

EDIT: OK, I got Stacey's name spelled wrong and I listed the wrong username. He is Stripit on Fifth Wheel Forums and Weigh-it on SOITC. Sorry.
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:19 AM   #11
rotaxman

Trade

Susan and Steve,

I may get castigated for saying what I'm going to say but I feel that this is to large of an investment to not be informed.

Joyce and I ordered a new 2006 36TK3 and it turned out to be a pretty good trailer I made a lot of changes to it that should have been done at the factory but in the end it was a fairly good trailer.

We got wantitis so ended trading it in on a new 2009 38TKSB3 which turned out to be a huge mistake. This trailer has a defective frame there are others 3 others that I know of there are some 09's and 10's that have defective frames. This trailer had and still has many many problems but the worst being the frame issue.

The pin number of my 09 is #4750 so you might want to check the pin number on the unit you are thinking about if it is close to mine you might want to be careful. I won't dwell any longer on this part of the post.

As for the truck DRV products are among the most heavy in the RV industry for me a one ton just wouldn't work. I didn't have a power issue it was a weight issue. You will see a lot of debate over the trucks it is a sensitive subject. No insult intended and I hope you take it as such but the Dodge's have always been the lowest rated of the big 3 I don't feel that you have enough truck for that trailer.

I moved up to my 450 right after I got my 06 Mobile Suite I would like to have had a 650 but they are diesel and diesel is not for me. My 06 weighed 15190 right of the dealers lot and 18500 when I went on the road with it in 07. This 09 weighs 17920 and that is when I'm going to use it local. If I were to go on the road it would easily come in at over 18500. The pin weight on my 06 was in excess of 4200 lbs as is this 09.

I do apologize if I have offended any one but as I said I feel this to large an investment to not be informed

With all of this info and a $1.00 you can get a cup of coffee anywhere.

As always good camping
Joyce and Jerry
2000 F 450 V10
5.38 gears trailer special
Automatic 4R100
20000# Reese Hitch
Trail Air Suspension and Pin Box with Tri Glide
Honda 4500 ex
Hughes Internet
Garmin 2720 talking GPS
Pressure Pro
Junk frame 2009 38TKSB3 #4750
rotaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:20 PM   #12
Gemstone

"I do apologize if I have offended any one but as I said I feel this to large an investment to not be informed"...

IMO, input like yours is what makes this site head and shoulders above the "other" site. New/potential buyers need to be able to read of our painful lessons learned...before they plunk down a huge check and become just another statistic for DRV.

Regards
Gemstone
Old 03-03-2011, 08:31 AM   #13
Lights

Rotaxman

It would be nice to know what is defective in your frame (#4750). Do you know the other three ID #'s? Have you had your frame repaired or are you still traveling down the roads with a defective frame? I believe you need to tell everyone the whole story about your frame. How did you come to know your frame was defective you or a service personal of a dealer?
Have you talked to anyone at DRV about your defective Frame?

As more people are upgrading to new units and people are buying used units it would be nice to let the new buyer know which unit have had problems or are having problems.
2004 RS3 #1013
2007 VNL 630
Smart Car
Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:51 AM   #14
anijet

When reading other sites I find similar issues with them all. For every negative post here there are many who don't post that have not had major issues, like myself. Not saying they shouldn't be posted, but one needs to keep in mind the negative gets posted and the satisfied typically just read. This is true for the other sites as well.
anijet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:20 AM   #15
bstark

Those of us who have been relatively satisfied with our trailers need to remember that posts such as Rotaxman's are just as valuable to potential owners and provide usefull information by which people can perform their own research.

Requesting substantiating facts to support a post that mentions a problem one is having with their trailer is a little demeaning of the person as if they are fudging the truth somehow.

The thing to remember, in my opinion only, is speaking derogatorily of a trailer is far more acceptable than inferring dishonesty or obfuscation by a human being.

Rotaxman is no more required to "substantiate" his problems with his trailer than you would be in speaking poorly of your mother-in-law! He simply is not required to fulfill your standards of proof.

I would think those other three owners would object if Rotaxman posted their serial numbers and "outed" them so-to-speak, they might not want their frame problem to be made public should they ever want to sell their unit regardless of it's successful repair.

Asking folks like Paul Cross how many trailers he's had to repair for things such as "lost camber" would be far more fruitfull (than bringing Rotaxman to task) for owners who genuinely want the knowledge.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:57 AM   #16
Gemstone

Lights...

Using the search feature within this forum will take you to just about any piece of information about DRV rigs you'd care to know, both positive and negative, from "wheels" to "roof".

As your question is a matter of public record on this forum, this link - click here will take you to your answer.

Regards
Gemstone
Old 03-03-2011, 11:03 AM   #17
rotaxman

Thanks

Bruce,

Thanks for the post, it's always great to hear from you. I've been setting here ever since I saw the post by lights contemplating how I would respond.

As you stated one time back in the old days on this forum you were castigated, sent pm hate mails and called a liar if you posted a negative about a then Doubletree product. I stopped posting on this forum for several years because I got tired of defending my name every time I posted in a negative manner about Doubletree.

After the formation of the SOITC most all of the cheerleaders went over to that forum known as the most dead forum on the internet. Which in turn made this forum a much better forum with a lot friendlier exchange of information.

It's not up to me like you said to identify all or any of the pin numbers that I know of I don't keep track of other pin numbers it about all I can do to remember my own. I don't think I want to intrude on others privacy like you said they might not want the information posted all over the web.

I'm just an everyday working man (well used to be retired now) there are two things I can't stand a Liar and a Thief I'm not either. I just post what I know. It would be of no profit to me to fabricate stories about my trailer or any other owners trailer.

Gemstone,
Thanks for your post too the kind words are appreciated from both you and Bruce

Lights

Go to the search section of this forum and punch camber in the search box then go to the left and down a little and select the select, mobile, and elete form and then click on search. You will see one page with several entries about camber and frame problems. Read those and you will see what I have done and what others have done.

As always good camping

Jerry and Joyce
2000 F 450 V10
Automatic 4R100
20000# Reese Hitch
Honda 4500 ex
Hughes Internet
Garmin 2720 talking GPS
Pressure Pro
Old 03-03-2011, 11:05 AM   #18
rotaxman

Quick

Gemstone,

Your quick you beat me to it. I just saw your post right after I posted my last post. Although your link won't take him to the same one I spoke of in my post. There should be enough information between the two to answer all or most of lights questions.

Thanks again

As always good camping

Joyce and Jerry
2000 F 450 V10
Automatic 4R100
20000# Reese Hitch
Honda 4500 ex
Hughes Internet
Garmin 2720 talking GPS
Pressure Pro
Old 03-03-2011, 07:47 PM   #19
Gemstone

"Which in turn made this forum a much better forum with a lot friendlier exchange of information".....

So true...look at the number of posts in the DRV forum, vs every other category on the main page of 5thwheelforums...and if I remember correctly, the counter was reset to zero a couple of years ago...there is a ton of combined knowledge/information of the DRV product line on this forum. Best part is....it is still free !

Regards
Gemstone
Old 03-03-2011, 08:06 PM   #20
rotaxman

Gemstone

You are correct there was a reset a few years back this is a great source of information about DRV product good or bad.

As always good camping

Joyce and Jerry

2000 F 450 V10
Automatic 4R100
20000# Reese Hitch
Honda 4500 ex
Hughes Internet
Garmin 2720 talking GPS
Pressure Pro