Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2011, 10:27 AM   #1
fiftyfifty

Upgrading?

I am looking to upgrade to a 28RK and not sure what truck, motor, gears, I need to pull this unit. I have a 26' fifth now with a half ton Dodge. The info I'm looking for is, what are you using for a tow unit, 2500 or 3500, motor size, gas or diesel, what rearend gears do you have and are you happy with the way your unit pulls. What milage are you getting under tow. This info will help me in my decision of what to tow this unit with.
Thanks in advance
fiftyfifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:28 PM   #2
BlueSkyRanch

Everyone's preference is a personal choice. Many people have trucks that could pull twice the weight of what they are actually carrying while others are overloaded.

This is what I did. I have an 2010 F350 6.4L diesel with 3.73 gears dually and tow a 38' mobile suites. I had everything weighed, loaded and I'm 500 pounds over. Some will tell you I should have 4.11 or higher gears. I like the 3.73 gear because of fuel economy. I get 9 towing and 13.5 to 14 highway. I think that is good considering the truck weighs almost 10,000 pounds. Yes, it takes me longer to get over the mountains then my friends but I manage. I also like the ride on the F350 vs F450. Very smooth with or without the RV.

My recommendation would be to go with the 3500 diesel, single wheel. You will be very pleased.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:41 PM   #3
fiftyfifty

Thanks, this is the type of info I am looking for, first hand and how it is working for you. It gives me a better idea rather than hope and poke. The weight deal really puts a damper on the 3/4 ton trucks because you never know if and when you might want to upgrade again. With the reading I had done on this subject I was cought between a 2500 and a 3500 single wheel, now I'm leaning a little farther toward the 3500. Like you say it will be a little over kill to start off.
fiftyfifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:40 PM   #4
RickandJanice

Having gone down this road before, if you go with a one ton, I would also highly recommend dual rear wheels. That is if you think you may upgrade again while you still have the truck. You cannot beat the stability with high profile 5th wheels that you will get with dual rear wheels.
RickandJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:45 AM   #5
Deb Phelps

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiftyfifty View Post
I am looking to upgrade to a 28RK and not sure what truck, motor, gears, I need to pull this unit. I have a 26' fifth now with a half ton Dodge. The info I'm looking for is, what are you using for a tow unit, 2500 or 3500, motor size, gas or diesel, what rearend gears do you have and are you happy with the way your unit pulls. What milage are you getting under tow. This info will help me in my decision of what to tow this unit with.
Thanks in advance
my experience has been that of not having enough truck a couple of times in my life, so i went big. Big enough to tow for profit should i choose to come out of retirment. i pull a 2008 rockwood 8265SS as a full timer with 2007.5 3500 dodge ram 6.7 L with the 4.10 ratio, long bed 4wd drw . i realize i am loosing mileage on the size and maybe axle ratio but gaining comfort everywhere else. and what impressed me more than the pulling was the holding me back on the downhills. even my 18 wheeler didnt seem that good at that..oh plus i dont even need my big moose mirrors as the dually is wider than the camper lol
Deb Phelps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:18 PM   #6
Notanlines

Deb, all good info, but this post is about 7 years old.
Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote