Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
keithandpenne

Laminate Flooring

We just finished replacing our floor in the kitchen/living room areas and wanted to post a couple photos.

Not to difficult, just had to engineer my way through it, having to figure out how to adjust the kitchen slide and sink counter heights.

I also included a picture of our new 37" Vizio that replaced the Sony boat anchor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_3010_548.jpg (108.9 KB, 431 views)
File Type: jpg img_3012_203.jpg (95.3 KB, 432 views)
File Type: jpg img_3013_202.jpg (103.6 KB, 430 views)

2005 36TK3 #1855
2008 F450 CC Lariat
keithandpenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:23 PM   #2
keithandpenne

For some reason the picture of the TV was missing so will post it again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_3011_119.jpg (90.0 KB, 428 views)

2005 36TK3 #1855
2008 F450 CC Lariat
Old 06-25-2010, 04:33 PM   #3
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Awesome! Do you have a photo of how the dining room/street side slide looks now? We're thinking about doing this too but aren't sure how the slides will work out. Sure would like to get rid of carpet if possible.
Thanks!
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
The View 5046

Keith, looks great, just wish we had though of that when we had our 2010 built. Carpet is a pain to maintain. My question also would be how the off door and the door side works ????? GBY....

2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 4 (SOLD)
Trailer Saver TS 3
Pressure Pro System (SOLD)
The View 5046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:11 PM   #5
hitchup

Very nice job. I've often thought about moving the dinette table to the rear window because many times, it has the best views. But we eliminated it instead.
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:18 PM   #6
keithandpenne

Stacy,

Here is a picture of the curb side slide, the slide floor lays on top of the main floor. I found a transition stirp that I used to finish off the edge. The first movement of the slide causes it to start lifting as it moves in so that it clears off the floor within the first half-inch of travel. I found the transition strip at a commercial flooring store.

The street side slide has three rollers fastened to the floor. The two in the kitchen have to be shimmed up the thickness of the flooring. The three rollers fastened to the bottom of the cabinet roll on top of the flooring to cary the weight of the front edge as the slide moves in. I started to shim the desk bottom roller but since it does not have a roller above it, I left it alone. Since I had to shim the bottom rollers, the front end of slides paint lines are off about 1/8-3/16" but it clears the opening edges all the way around.

I found that after jacking up the slide, I could use a 1/4" drive air ratchet to back out the screws holding the rollers down. I cut a shim to fit between the screws and one on the outside of set of screws. It made it a simple job compared to having to use an offset screwdriver.

I also had to shim the peninsula the thickness of the flooring to provide clearance for the bottom of the cabinet to clear.

Side note, I calculate that the weight gain to be just under 200 lbs after the old carpet and vinyl as it weighed just over 100 lbs.

We have enjoyed our table in the rear because of the view and also gives more room. We ordered without a couch or window treatments other than the day/night shades.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_3014_182.jpg (105.5 KB, 407 views)
2005 36TK3 #1855
2008 F450 CC Lariat
Old 06-25-2010, 07:31 PM   #7
morscuba

Looks great!!!! I am impressed.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:50 AM   #8
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Thanks for posting the photo & info. If we get brave enough to try this, we may just PM you. It really looks good!
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:15 AM   #9
Motor31

I am definitely NOT showing this thread to Nancy. She isn't happy with the carpet and wants a hard surface flooring. A buddy converted his Travel Supreme to wood floors and it looks great. It just took him 3 months of almost constant tweaking to get it "right". Then again he's a perfectionist too.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:19 AM   #10
Gemstone

What an improvement over carpet....did you keep track of the overall time it took to complete the project ?
When you say you "shimmed the peninsula"...you removed the peninsula, laid the flooring, then reinstalled the peninsula ?

Wouldn't it be great if all of us who want to upgrade various aspects of our rig could arrange to meet at some county fairgrounds (a place with an indoor facility, so furniture could be removed without worry of an afternoon thundershower) for a retrofit session. We could take advantage of the knowledge of those who have already performed various retrofits....(nothing worse than wasting time re-creating the wheel).

What other retrofits have been undertaken by our community here (see new topic) ?

Regards
Gemstone
Old 06-27-2010, 01:06 PM   #11
BobW

First, does the rollers under the TV roll over the vents? This just makes me mad that they would do this. Also, did you lay an underlayment down and did you take the old vinyl out? I just wonder how the rollers are going to be happy with this kind of floor. How do you get to the rollers. You said you shimmed the rollers.
2007 M2 Freightliner
2005 Wrangler
In a land of the blind, the one eyed guy is king.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:58 PM   #12
keithandpenne

Thanks for all the complements! We are enjoying it over the old worn carpet.

Stacy, if you or anyone else want to pm me I will be happy to help in any way I can.

Mike, I know what your saying about being a perectionist, that’s what makes us DRV owners special but, go for it, you won’t be sorry.

Genstone, I did not keep track but I spent the best part of 2 ½ days, mostly engineering how I wanted to do it. I like your idea of all of us getting together somewhere and helping each other doing upgrades.

Bob, None or our rollers pass over the vent grills. Also, I did not put down any underlayment. I just layed it over the plywood flooring, after I pulled at least 1,000,011 staples. I did not take all of the vinyl out but would if I were doing it again to help reduce weight gain. I see no reason why there should be any problem with the rollers and this flooring, I did however glue the joints under the area where the slide rolls on it. You can get to the rollers from outside under the slide by pulling down the rubber seal. I used a scrap of the flooring to shim under the roller attached to the floor.

If anyone wants to do this, pm me and I send you my cell number and will be happy to try and help walk you through it. It is not difficult if you have access to a table saw.

Jump in, do it!
2005 36TK3 #1855
2008 F450 CC Lariat
Old 06-30-2010, 08:43 PM   #13
keithandpenne

Thanks for all the complements! We are enjoying it over the old worn carpet.

Stacy, if you or anyone else want to pm me I will be happy to help in any way I can.

Mike, I know what your saying about being a perectionist, that’s what makes us DRV owners special but, go for it, you won’t be sorry.

Genstone, I did not keep track but I spent the best part of 2 ½ days, mostly engineering how I wanted to do it. I like your idea of all of us getting together somewhere and helping each other doing upgrades.

Bob, None or our rollers pass over the vent grills. Also, I did not put down any underlayment. I just layed it over the plywood flooring, after I pulled at least 1,000,011 staples. I did not take all of the vinyl out but would if I were doing it again to help reduce weight gain. I see no reason why there should be any problem with the rollers and this flooring, I did however glue the joints under the area where the slide rolls on it. You can get to the rollers from outside under the slide by pulling down the rubber seal. I used a scrap of the flooring to shim under the roller attached to the floor.

If anyone wants to do this, pm me and I send you my cell number and will be happy to try and help walk you through it. It is not difficult if you have access to a table saw.

Jump in, do it!
2005 36TK3 #1855
2008 F450 CC Lariat
Old 07-01-2010, 09:58 AM   #14
BobW

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithandpenne
We had some problems with this flooring. If you get it wet, it will swell up at the seems. Ours did. I thought if you did put a foam insulator under the flooring, it would buckle and brake from the weight of the rollers. Your unit must be newer than mine, because ours do roll over the vents. In fact the vents are bent from this action.
2007 M2 Freightliner
2005 Wrangler
In a land of the blind, the one eyed guy is king.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:59 PM   #15
jas24

laminate flooring

Hi Keith,

Floor looks really good. You did a great job with the install.

Take Care,
Jack

06 F-350 Lariat 4x4 V-10 CC SRW LB
06 Mobile Suites 36CK3
jas24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 03:02 PM   #16
Jack in Alaska

hardwood floors

Keith,

Great job on your remodel. I am envious and have thought about doing it for a long time.

Stacey.......you go 1st and I will watch you.

Jack in Alaska

Start Out Each Day Real Easy.......Then Taper Off
Jack in Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:33 AM   #17
edt

Send a message via AIM to edt
Need a little information want to do same to my unit concerned about rollers going across
edt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:10 PM   #18
keithandpenne

Laminate Flooring

I just wanted to give an update on our laminate flooring project.

We completed a 6 wk trip with a little over 4k miles, from South Texas through Iowa to South Dakota, over to Chicago Illinois, back down through Mo and Arkansas, then down along east Texas through Beaumont and then back to Mustang Island near Corpus.

In all, I have cycled our slides over 50 times since I installed the flooring and find no issues with either the curb or street side slides traveling over the flooring. I do use a small section of carpeting under the ends of the curb slide with the nap down to slide on the flooring.

Penne loves it and our dog has re-learned how to walk/play on it. For anyone else wanting to upgrade, I would highly recommend it.
2005 36TK3 #1855
2008 F450 CC Lariat
Old 09-08-2010, 04:37 PM   #19
john

floor

Keith,
When do you want me to bring my unit over so you can start on it??????
Yours sure looks good....
Old 09-08-2010, 07:40 PM   #20
keithandpenne

John,

I'd be happy to help guide you through it, come on down to "The Palms RV Park" (http://www.thepalmsrvpark.com/) in Aransas Pass, Tx. We're planning to make this our home base.

edt
Not sure what you want to know about the rollers, ours do not pass over any of the floor vents. Check again and you may be looking at the fixed rollers mounted to the floor, not the ones mounted on the bottom of the slide. Check by moving the slide in to the vent and look with a light to see if it will actually roll over the vent. Not sure what year yours is, ours is an 05 and they may have changed the location.

Keith

2005 36TK3 #1855
2008 F450 CC Lariat