Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2010, 10:45 PM   #1
Carny Bill

rear view camera

Anyone using rear view camera's?

I have heard the wireless will not work for our rigs due to limited range.
Installing a wired unit would be a hassle. Anyone have any experience with these units?

12 Blue Elite #6296 38RS3
08 chevy C3500
09 yel spyder toad
Carny Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:41 AM   #2
BlueSkyRanch

Very timely question. We traded our motor home with a back up camera for our MS and I am interested in putting a camera on the Suites. I look forward to seeing what folks post.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:03 AM   #3
terry and jo

When we ordered our 2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3, we ordered the optional "wireless" rear camera. In reality, the camera is wired from the back of the trailer up to the pin box on the trailer. Then, it is wireless from the pin box "transmitter" to the receiver/monitor in the cab.

Last month, we went to the SOITC mini rally at Carthage, MO and I have to say I liked the set-up. Not only were we able to see what was directly behind us, but there is a microphone with the camera as well. With that, one can hear what is going on behind as well. That feature might make it helpful if the wife is advising me as to when to stop backing up.

In addition, the camera is VERY wide angle, so it allows us to see traffic as it passes the very rear of the coach. One would need to keep that in mind if using the camera to verify rear clearance before pulling back in after passing.

It is still early in this process of learning things, but I think I'm going to like the set-up.

Terry
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:10 AM   #4
BlueSkyRanch

Good info Terry. Did it come with a monitor? We use our cell phones to communicate when backing up. I use the bluetooth hands free set up and it works great.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:12 AM   #5
matsonelite69

Its me again Margaret, I purchased my Elite 2nd hand and the previous owner left his monitor in his truck which he sold, I called to purchase the monitor and related cables and found that it was cheaper to purchase a whole system, I was curious how much that wireless system is? and I wonder if i can use the camera that is currently on my unit?
matsonelite69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:44 PM   #6
terry and jo

Steve,

Yes, the monitor came with ours. I've not researched the systems as an add-on, but I would almost presume that any system would include the monitor.

That said, I have been wrong before.

Terry
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:46 PM   #7
Okie

I had a camera installed by CW back in 05. When I sold my truck the monitor went with it, it was part of the Nav system. I have been looking for a new monitor since and so far have found that it would be cheaper to get a whole system or the same price. I have been trying to find a monitor that is smaller than 7". I don't care for the idea of having it block part of my view toward the front. I also see that Sams Club has a security camera and monitor that is wireless and good for 300 to 500 feet and can be battery operated and is cheaper than any of the monitors I have found and has a 3" monitor which would be ideal. Using commercial velcro to put the camera on the back could make it portable. Catch is the battery life is only 4 hours but is rechargeable. I am still looking.

Okie
Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:31 AM   #8
The View 5046

I have no knowledge of the wireless systems. We ordered out Suites and did the option of the hard wired system. The system we have is Zone Defense out of Saint Petersburg, Florida. It has a 5" color monitor with speaker, we have used it since Aug of 2009. Its been flawless, it can be on all the time, we double tow and it works great, can see the Chevy HHR at all times. It can be turned off but even then when you shift to reverse the Camera automatically come on. It also works at night.

The Zone Defense is design to except additional Cameras to each side of the Truck to see the blind spots.

For what ever reason Drv stopped using the hard wired system no long after our was ordered??? I do believe the rear camera is worth the money. Which system is best, I don't know but I do know the Zone Defense system really works for us.

2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 4 (SOLD)
Trailer Saver TS 3
Pressure Pro System (SOLD)
The View 5046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:24 AM   #9
BobW

I have a camera on mine that I bought from China on ebay. Very simple device. It has only a video input and 12 volts leads. I ran a video cable to the hitch and a quick connector to the truck. I use my Pioneer AVIC-Z1 as a monitor. I have the brake light grounded so I can see what's behind me at all times. I know your not supposed to do that, so what. Did it anyway. I'm a bad boy.

2007 M2 Freightliner
2005 Wrangler
In a land of the blind, the one eyed guy is king.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote