Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2019, 07:05 AM   #1
GARY P

Tonneau Cover

Will a vinyl tri-fold tonneau cover work when folded up with a Ford crew cab short bed? I am worried about the height of the cover when folded interfering with the 5th wheel during tight maneuvers. I am new to 5th wheeling. I have the truck and the hitch but not the 5th wheel to be able to make this determination. I am looking at tri-folds like the Extang 2.0 Trifecta.

I would like to have a cover for the hitch and the bed that I don't have to take on and off every time.

Any suggestions, opinions and help appreciated.

Thanks...Gary

GARY P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:36 AM   #2
Rhagfo

As you are looking at vinyl have you considered a roll up? I have one on the 2001 and just installed the same model on our new 2016 Ram with 8' bed.

Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:59 AM   #3
hamm2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARY P View Post
Will a vinyl tri-fold tonneau cover work when folded up with a Ford crew cab short bed? I am worried about the height of the cover when folded interfering with the 5th wheel during tight maneuvers. I am new to 5th wheeling. I have the truck and the hitch but not the 5th wheel to be able to make this determination. I am looking at tri-folds like the Extang 2.0 Trifecta.

I would like to have a cover for the hitch and the bed that I don't have to take on and off every time.

Any suggestions, opinions and help appreciated.

Thanks...Gary
First thing we have a different setup but you may want to hear this:
we have a 2017 Ram 3500 dually 8 ft bad. I put a BakFlip on quad fold. Coming back from Pigeon Forge I did not fold it up all the way I left the cover folded to the 3rd panel. Didn't think anything about it, but truck pitch up Road Warrior pitched down. Get the picture $2500 later we had a hole in the left front corner nose where the 2 meet.
Now I fold the cover up against the truck cab and gives me same amount of clearance. Did not think it would hit. But lesson learned, only money right???
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:44 PM   #4
grafton guns

Gary, I have a short box on my F-350 6.5' I too have a tri-fold extang tonneau cover and a headache rack. I take the tonneau off when I'm hauling my 5er. One less thing to worry about. Also, with the trifold folded, You can't see out of the back window to keep tabs on things...just saying.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:23 PM   #5
will.bishop5@gmail.com

I have an F250 crew cab short bed, with a Pace Edwards Switchblade roll up cover. I like it because it rolls into a canister inside the bed and stays below the bed rails, so no problem with interference. The cover slats are vinyl covered aluminum so it's strong. And the canister is easy to remove if the space is needed in the bed. Not the cheapest option but it is secure and functions well.
will.bishop5@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:12 PM   #6
fjr vfr

Gary, I'd first pick up your 5th wheel trailer and then measure the clearance you have between the bed and trailer to have a better idea as to what will fit. Not all 5th wheels will ride at the same height and the shape of the nose will effect clearance.

What I have is a Dodge Ram 2500 standard bed with a Laredo 265rl. I have a Bak-Flip cover and when folded back onto the last panel works for me. I back into my driveway at home which is close to 90 deg's and at a slight upgrade and I have plenty of clearance. I like the Bak-Flip because when not towing it is very secure when I lock my tailgate. It's very versatile.

Now will that work for you? That's why you might want to get the trailer first.

Good luck in picking the right cover...I know it's not easy.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:44 PM   #7
Hanr3

I have a F150 w 6.5' bed and went with a roll up cover, Duckback by Lund. When towing, I roll it up. When not towing I roll it back down and cover the bed, even with the 5er hitch in the bed.

Hanr3 is offline   Reply With Quote