Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2018, 10:00 PM   #1
Txtower

6 blown tires over 4 years!?!?

I have a 2004 Starcraft Homestead 290 BHS. I keep blowing tires and am not sure what the issue is. It is always the left side under the slide out. Rear one seems to be the one that has blown most. I have 15” Wheels with Carlton ST225/75R15, Load E. I have them at 68-70psi.

I found some threads out there where others have went to bigger wheels and a stronger Load Range J type tire. Not sure if this is a viable option. I don’t know if axel is bent or not true, but admittedly don’t know how to check that. The other side tires operate fine so I think it is fine.

We just finished an 800 mile found trip and the tire went in the last 10 miles. The left rear blew again and wrapped itself around the axel. I can not tell if it is tread separation or what kind of failure.

It seems the slide out side is the issue and I am wondering if it is a weight issue, too low psi, need bigger sturdier wheel/tire?

GVWR 11,580
CCC 3065

Any ideas? Thanks

Txtower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:17 AM   #2
Notanlines

I could find absolutely no info on a Carlton tire. Where might you be buying your tires? I would start by bringing your RV by a truck alignment center and insure that both axles are true and aligned. Insure that brakes and wheel bearings are in top shape, and then swap to a new set of Carlisle load range E from Walmart. Their price right now is about $63 per tire. Carlisle isn't my all time favorite brand, but it is a good brand with a great price. Go with the recommended PSI listed on the front driver's side of your RV. Never, but never run less PSI than recommended. I would recommend a cheap infra-red thermometer from Harbor Freight ($10-$20) and check often, insuring that all four tires are very close in temperature.
I might also ad that those wheels should not be on that RV. They look like they came from Tractor Supply, and are not a quality wheel.
I'm sure others will chime in with more recommendations as well.
On edit, I concur with the Maxxis brand also.

Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:22 AM   #3
wingnut60
Site Team

I think the wheels were probably factory issue on that brand at that time. Having blowouts on the same position every time is strange, leading me to think that it is carrying more than its share of the load. Doesn't look from the pic that you are towing nose-high much, if at all.
The suggestion to go to Carlisle is a good one, or take a look at Maxxis brand. Not much better in the 15" range. To go to a J would require wheel and probably axle changeout.
Checking the temps with the temp gun is a good suggestion--this should be done often until you determine if it is running at/near the temps of the other 3 tires.
To take the wheel itself out of the equation--have you changed that LR wheel to some other position to see if the trouble follows the wheel or the position on the axles?
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:55 AM   #4
Txtower

I bought those tires on the road in TN at a Discount Tire. Truck alignment center sounds like a good idea, I will need to find one. As for PSIs... I have never seen a sticker on the camper with recommended pressures. I will have to dig through the plethora of documentation to see if it is in print. I never thought of the thermometer. Good idea. Duh!
Old 03-18-2018, 09:11 AM   #5
Notanlines

Probably my fault on the tire pressure recommendation. 2004 was probably a year or two earlier than the date it was required.
Give Truck AG and Auto a try and see if they can't recommend the proper place in your area for the alignment. 254-965-4403
Old 03-18-2018, 09:12 AM   #6
Txtower

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
I think the wheels were probably factory issue on that brand at that time. Having blowouts on the same position every time is strange, leading me to think that it is carrying more than its share of the load. Doesn't look from the pic that you are towing nose-high much, if at all.
The suggestion to go to Carlisle is a good one, or take a look at Maxxis brand. Not much better in the 15" range. To go to a J would require wheel and probably axle changeout.
Checking the temps with the temp gun is a good suggestion--this should be done often until you determine if it is running at/near the temps of the other 3 tires.
To take the wheel itself out of the equation--have you changed that LR wheel to some other position to see if the trouble follows the wheel or the position on the axles?
Had issues with wheels/tires in 2012 to the point insurance company was involved and the white wheels are what I ended up with. I was going through what is located where Load wise and there is a lot on the left side, so it “could” be a weight/Load issue.

The wheels have been in different positions after my TN fiasco. I had Discount Tire put same wheels/tires on same axels, so there was some shifting. However that wheel is now destroyed and I may just go out of pocket for original or close to OEM Mag wheels or upgrade to something sturdier in a 16” range and say goodbye to the 15”. I just want to make sure I am not masking an issue like bent axels as “notanlines” mentioned.

I did a lil research and saw a Goodyear Tire that is supposed to have a good reputation but that is in writing, not in conversation like this. As I mentioned in the previous post, there is no tire pressure documentation that I can find. What do you guys use for pressure? I was running them at 68-70psi. SAfely within Load E 80 psi. Do you guys just take them up to 80psi cold? Do you air up more pressure on a heavier side of camper?

Good input, thanks all!
Old 03-18-2018, 09:14 AM   #7
Txtower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notanlines View Post
Probably my fault on the tire pressure recommendation. 2004 was probably a year or two earlier than the date it was required.
Yup. Agree about tire pressure. Gonna need to research it. This needs to be accurate. However like you mentioned, I need to get those axels checked, otherwise I am masking a potential issue.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:48 AM   #8
wingnut60
Site Team

If you did not see any odd wear, doubt it is the axle itself. Run tire pressure at max indicated on tire. Get the trailer/truck weighed.
Changing to 16: great idea, much better tires available.
Still odd to have trouble at only one position...
Old 03-18-2018, 01:15 PM   #9
Txtower

Quote:
If you did not see any odd wear, doubt it is the axle itself. Run tire pressure at max indicated on tire. Get the trailer/truck weighed.
Changing to 16: great idea, much better tires available.
Still odd to have trouble at only one position...
No adverse wear, so possibly good sign. Researching wheels/tires.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:11 PM   #10
wingnut60
Site Team

Give the folks at www.trailertiresandwheels.com a call--they will know what you are facing and have good solutions. Sets of tires/wheels, mounted/balanced, sent to your house. Good folks, very knowledgeable about trailer wheels and tires. Have bought 2 sets from them.
By the way, is Discount Tire standing behind any of the tires they sold you?
Old 03-18-2018, 07:25 PM   #11
Txtower

Quote:
Give the folks at www.trailertiresandwheels.com a call--they will know what you are facing and have good solutions. Sets of tires/wheels, mounted/balanced, sent to your house. Good folks, very knowledgeable about trailer wheels and tires. Have bought 2 sets from them.
By the way, is Discount Tire standing behind any of the tires they sold you?
I will definitely check that place out. That is great information. I was just discussing that with the wife. As for discount tire; I’m sure they will stand behind it but you never know… I will find out in a week or so when I bring it to them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03F0AB09-3CBA-4704-BD21-52C0BD6E51ED.jpg (398.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 03-18-2018, 08:37 PM   #12
Txtower

Do you guys run radials or bias tires? From what I have read, bias are stronger and good for heavy loads.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:50 PM   #13
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
When I owned a trailer with 3 axles the center tire on the kitchen side blew out 2 times, so I decided to get it weighed by each tire spot. Found out the tire that was failing was over loaded by about 250 lbs, that was if i kept it to 80psi, if it was under inflated it was overloaded even more. We moved items to relieve the overloading and kept a real close eye on the air pressures. Without having it weighed by wheel position I would never have know of the weight issue. Then I went and bought scales and started weighing RV's as a business. You cannot believe the amount of overloaded RV's we discovered, many had failed tires in one location.
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:36 PM   #14
Txtower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripit View Post
When I owned a trailer with 3 axles the center tire on the kitchen side blew out 2 times, so I decided to get it weighed by each tire spot. Found out the tire that was failing was over loaded by about 250 lbs, that was if i kept it to 80psi, if it was under inflated it was overloaded even more. We moved items to relieve the overloading and kept a real close eye on the air pressures. Without having it weighed by wheel position I would never have know of the weight issue. Then I went and bought scales and started weighing RV's as a business. You cannot believe the amount of overloaded RV's we discovered, many had failed tires in one location.
Wow, I never knew you could weigh each tire spot. That is pretty impressive. How do you do that? Buy the scale as u mentioned or did you go somewhere? Right now with 15 inch wheels, the published GVWR exceed the maximum tire on the 15” wheels and load E tires. I am gonna upgrade to 16” and better tires on it with improved weight. I should be able to improve the weight on each wheel by 800 pounds (not that I will exceed that high due to axle limits). I will need to install lift block kits to get that extra 2 inches or so that I will need for the clearance with larger wheel/tire.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:17 PM   #15
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
I searched and found the same scales the DOT officers used when they pulled over the semi trucks and did spot weighing. They cost about $4,200 each back when I purchased them. Weighing each wheel position allowed you to give a total rv weight, a total axle weight or a each tire position weight, they all added up to the same when you figured it out. My last trailer, a 36 ft Mobile Suites weighed 1,200 lbs heavier on the kitchen side than the door side. If the trailer was not level, then the weights moved forward or back, depending on how the trailer was to increase the weights on a given tire on that heavy side. So having a tire overloaded was pretty easy unless you had more tire capacity than the extra weight produced. When the Mobile Suites first came out the 16 G tire was standard, but with many tires failing they increased to the 17 inch H with added capacity to help stop the blow tires from over loaded issues.
1991 Avanti Conv
Old 03-19-2018, 06:08 PM   #16
Txtower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripit View Post
I searched and found the same scales the DOT officers used when they pulled over the semi trucks and did spot weighing. They cost about $4,200 each back when I purchased them. Weighing each wheel position allowed you to give a total rv weight, a total axle weight or a each tire position weight, they all added up to the same when you figured it out. My last trailer, a 36 ft Mobile Suites weighed 1,200 lbs heavier on the kitchen side than the door side. If the trailer was not level, then the weights moved forward or back, depending on how the trailer was to increase the weights on a given tire on that heavy side. So having a tire overloaded was pretty easy unless you had more tire capacity than the extra weight produced. When the Mobile Suites first came out the 16 G tire was standard, but with many tires failing they increased to the 17 inch H with added capacity to help stop the blow tires from over loaded issues.
Well I can honestly say I will not be buying a scale. I will research if TXDOT has anything like that or con a State Trooper... that info is like GOLD
Old 03-19-2018, 06:19 PM   #17
Stripit

If you contact your local police dept and ask if they have a DOT officer that weighs semi's they can and sometimes will let you get weighed. I've heard they will tell you where they are going to set up, what day and time and you can then drag your rv there. In some cases they will even come to you, just need a nice flat parking lot for the weighing. They don't charge but some kind of token for them doing that is nice, but not required.
1991 Avanti Conv
Old 03-20-2018, 05:37 AM   #18
Notanlines

"AXW-20-PTS Portable Truck Scale" This is the model the guy uses when he comes through the park. He charges $40.00 to weigh each RV, individual tires. $50.00 if it happens to be a triple axle. I think he paid in the neighborhood of $1200 or so.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:43 AM   #19
Stripit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notanlines View Post
"AXW-20-PTS Portable Truck Scale" This is the model the guy uses when he comes through the park. He charges $40.00 to weigh each RV, individual tires. $50.00 if it happens to be a triple axle. I think he paid in the neighborhood of $1200 or so.
I never saw those scales, mine were used all around the country by the DOT officers and worked very well. They served me and gave repeatable weight numbers so I knew they were accurate. I charged the same money when i weighed, but that was at least 8 years ago.
1991 Avanti Conv
Old 03-20-2018, 05:52 PM   #20
Notanlines

StripIt, I only posted the info to let the OP know that there are other options. I'm betting that eight years ago this model wasn't available. And you and I can rest assured that the state police purchasing dept wouldn't buy anything worth 1200 when they could spend 4800 instead.