Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2018, 08:07 AM   #21
Dapperdan

Thanks for the info Jim, I wondered how that all happened! Wow, that's a heck of a lot of damage!! I wouldn't guessed that much!

Dan

Dapperdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:40 AM   #22
stanleyz

Wow, that's some story to tell. Glad they got you all repaired without a court being involved.

Old 04-27-2018, 09:32 PM   #23
stanleyz

Thought I would update this for anyone trying to deal with the same problem. Jim is correct above. the new replacement Penguin will not work with the CCC thermostat system. So I would either have to replace both air conditioners and the thermostat with the new CCC2 system. Or, replace the board in the new penguin with a modified control board to dumb down the penguin so it would work with the CCC system. Given all thatI decided to take a shot at the fan motor. I'm no wimp when it comes to working on stuff but removing and reinstalling that fan motor is a chore. Both fans are held on by clamps not set screws like the book says and they are a PITA to get off and a double PITA to put back in. Anyway, I pulled the motor and it had a couple spots where it looked a little burned and a couple black wires. I took a couple pics and sent them to my brother in law who is knowledgeable about motors. He says it is toast so I order a new one. Got it in and everything buttoned up and of course there is no change. The AC will run forever on low but only about ten mins on high. So, I'm back where I was except I'm a hundred sixty bucks poorer and have a lot of cuts on my hands and arms. The only thing left is the control board or more likely the relay on the control board. There are some trouble shooting checks I found on line for that so Ill open it up soon and run the checks. More when I know it.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:32 PM   #24
stanleyz

OK, I'm going to post this as a close out on this thread. This will be long but if you are experiencing similar problems to mine it will be worth your time. First let me say I did not repair this unit so much as I pestered it in to submission. Here is the sequence of events.

1. Over a year ago my bed room air conditioner started running away and could only be stopped with the circuit breaker.

2. Problem was the control card in Zone 2 air conditioner so I replaced it. That corrected the problem.

3, In Feb, that unit began failing if left on Cool fan high or on cool fan auto with a temp spread of 9 degrees or more. It would run for a short time and then the fan would stop and the compressor would hum. On cool fan low or auto with a temp spread of 8 or less it would run and cool all day.

4. I replaced both capacitors but nothing changed. When I got home I removed the fan motor and found some black winding and some burnt paper. A knowledgeable electric motor guy looked and said it was toast.

5. I replaced the motor. That is a real chore. I wouldn't do it again. Anyway with the new motor the unit continued to fail on fan high cool setting but run forever on cool fan low.

6. I floundered around working on it off and on and reading a lot of forums but I had no clue. Checked amps and it was pulling like 22 amps. Too high. Checked the temp of the fan motor and it was really hot, like 170 degrees just before it stopped. That was a major clue. I then knew what was happening: motor was getting too hot and seizing or being stopped by an internal heat sensor. Now what was causing it.

7. On another forum a guy mentioned that he had the same symptoms and it took two techs 4 hours each and they couldn't figure it out. The final answer came from Dometic that some wire had to be cut but he didn't know which one,

8. I was about to remove the control board from my good unit to install in the bad unit when I pulled on the yellow wire that says medium speed on my chart. It was loose with a cap on the end. Holycrap. I went to the problem unit and dis connected the yellow wire and from then on it is running like a new one. That was it, the yellow wire was causing the fan motor to over heat on cool fan high.