Old 10-12-2018, 08:48 AM   #1
Kato

Towing a Fiver With GMC NHT 1500 Truck?

Has anyone had experience towing a fiver with a GMC 1500 with the Max trailer package(nht)? This truck has the 6.2L engine, 9.75" Diff, HD suspension and rad etc.. and a payload of just under 2300# Mine is a 2018.

GM publishes numbers (11000# max) for towing a fiver with this truck but then confuses the issue with a note below that says pin weight should be calculated using 15% to 25% of trailer GVWR (which I agree with) but then says a 1500 series truck should limit that wt to 1500# Assuming 25% you'd have to find a 6000# fiver which I doubt even exists!

I know many will say no 1500 series truck should be used to pull a fiver but I wonder if the increased payload of these newer truck and availability of lighter trailers makes it possible?

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:03 PM   #2
fjr vfr

IMHO, I wouldn't tow a 5th wheel with a 1/2 ton truck, although some do. The semi-floating rear axle on a 1/2 ton truck is not designed for the increased weight. 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks use a full floating rear axle. If you don't know the difference, google it or search it on Youtube.
IMHO, the increased payload of the newer 1/2 ton trucks is really pushing their limits to the limit.
Also bear in mind your payload weight includes anything in the truck including you and your passenger. Don't forget to count the weight of the hitch itself and any cargo. Ad this to the loaded pin weight of the trailer and you will for sure be over your limits.
BTW, 3/4 ton trucks have an 11.5" ring gear in a much beefier differential housing made to hold a lot more weight. Good luck

fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:55 AM   #3
Kato

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr vfr View Post
IMHO, I wouldn't tow a 5th wheel with a 1/2 ton truck, although some do. The semi-floating rear axle on a 1/2 ton truck is not designed for the increased weight. 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks use a full floating rear axle. If you don't know the difference, google it or search it on Youtube.
IMHO, the increased payload of the newer 1/2 ton trucks is really pushing their limits to the limit.
Also bear in mind your payload weight includes anything in the truck including you and your passenger. Don't forget to count the weight of the hitch itself and any cargo. Ad this to the loaded pin weight of the trailer and you will for sure be over your limits.
BTW, 3/4 ton trucks have an 11.5" ring gear in a much beefier differential housing made to hold a lot more weight. Good luck

Yeah, Deep down I know you are right. I needed a truck now but won't be able to do any serious towing for a few years so I just couldn't justify the extra cost of a 3/4 ton truck. I knew that would likely mean no 5th wheel but I still prefer them over a TT. I can't believe the size of the fivers I see on the road being towed by 1/2 ton trucks! Perhaps if finances allow I will get a 3/4 ton diesel in 5 years and then I can have my 5th wheel. Thanks for your input.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:09 PM   #4
Hooter56

I tow our Winnie 25RKS, 8500 GVW with a GMC 1500 Sierra, Z71, tow package and a 5.3 engine.
Hooter56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:11 PM   #5
Whitewolf

My neighbor pulls his Gulf Stream 5r with his Ford 150. Not a pretty sight. But he and his family goes camping. It can be done.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:44 PM   #6
Kato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewolf View Post
My neighbor pulls his Gulf Stream 5r with his Ford 150. Not a pretty sight. But he and his family goes camping. It can be done.

Yes, I see it out on the road all of the time. I am just not too sure how smart it is. The previous post regarding full float and semi float axles is a good example of why it's not too smart. I know they claim there are 1/2 ton towable fivers but the only way to know for sure is to get on a scale and run all of the numbers. I did that with my last fiver and realized I was over the ratings for the truck I had at the time so I got rid of the trailer.

I could probably get away with it with a very light fiver with my new GM 1500 Max Towing truck but a TT would no doubt be a much more realistic choice. I do prefer fifth wheels though!!!!
Old 10-23-2018, 07:37 AM   #7
Whitewolf

My neighbor doesn't go very far or very often. Run the numbers and see what you come up with. 5r's are getting lighter all the time.